Power out at shop, possibly for several days

Product sales, customer service, and announcements.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

OnTheFritz

Re: Power out at shop, possibly for several days

Post by OnTheFritz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:16 pm

Seriously sucks, and the brutal cold that's coming is just going to make things worse.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down' " - Bob Newhart

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:35 am

I ran the snowblower at 7 last night, we have about 6" more since then. Im going out to run it again now. The snowfall is mostly over and it's going to get brutally cold. It's minus 4 with wind chill now, the crazy thing is I want to get out there righ away before it gets colder. You know it's bad when -4 is your warmer option.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

jake5150

Post by jake5150 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:07 am

George, if you have a high efficiency furnace check the intake and exhaust pipes outside. There could be snow accumulation in there.

Stay warm :P

Justin
Metro Friedman Amp
True Replica Cab

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:55 pm

Good call Jake. We do have a 90+ furnace, with positive ventilation. I'll check it out. -22 out there right now. :shock:

george

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:24 pm

Currently -32 wind chill. Insanely cold. Frostbite possible with under 10 minutes exposure.

At these temps things really change. The oil in your car's motor turns to sludge, anti-freeze stops working properly, window washer fluid freezes, ice forms on the inside of your windows etc. Crazy to contemplate, let alone experience.

george

ol foot
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by ol foot » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:55 am

It was around -50 here yesterday morning (and last night) and I got a call at 6 AM from a friend who's a plumber. His diesel truck had the fuel gel up and his truck stalled. Ended up running him around all day to make service calls. I couldn't believe what his fuel filter looked like at the dealer! Looked like it was covered in wax.

The mechanic said you shouldn't run bio diesel in the extreme cold. The surprise to my friend was he didn't know he bought bio diesel. Walmart's pumps don't tell you that's what it is. :roll:

Anyway he said the real calls will start later today and tomorrow when peoples water lines that are frozen start to thaw out and the leaks start. Try to stay warm there.

OnTheFritz

Post by OnTheFritz » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:18 pm

How's the furnace George? Hard to believe it's supposed to be in the 40's here on Saturday and raining. More mess!
At least it'll be warm. (relatively speaking)
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down' " - Bob Newhart

Brian Wallace
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Brian Wallace » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:26 am

I can't wait for it to be in the 40's Saturday, maybe break out the shorts and flip flops. :)
Patience is a virtue.

Wallace amps

Wallace forum

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:09 pm

Crazy weather patterns, the jet stream must be moving North of us (where it belongs) again.

I better camp out in the shop this weekend watching for melted snow water leaking in.

george

Brian Wallace
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Brian Wallace » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:15 am

It may rain Saturday. Water is evil. :x
Patience is a virtue.

Wallace amps

Wallace forum

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:47 pm

WELCOME TO :

Where Mother Nature gives us lemons... and we make lemonade... :idea:

RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:04 pm

LOL That's brilliant! I stuck some beer out on the porch to keep cold. It was fine until it started freezing! What temp does beer freeze at?

I seen that Metropoulos sign on Ebay, they actually make those about 8 miles from me. I think they just went through the phone book and made mock up signs to list on Ebay. I should get one someday.

george

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:43 pm

The power was out here again today, for several hours. It was an isolated outage, just this particular neighborhood. Finally came back on this afternoon and I'm working to catch up.
More stupidly low temps coming our way too, polar vortex 2.0 It's time to move to Nashville....

george

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:08 pm

Being close to Lansing I feel your pain this winter. Ice storm, power outtage for 6 days straight, generator expense was retarded as gasoline is so ridiculous, one week was killin the whole budget for gas money in the generator, then..... the snow! Then more snow.... then some more snow. This is the first year I didn't have 4wd in I dunno how long-thought why do I need 4wd as we never get that much snow anymore. Suprise-I get the dumbass award for buyin a simple 2wd truck. Never again.
Between gas for the generator, gas for the snowblower and plowing, unusually long brutal cold with no breaks, its been a very expensive winter.
For those that didn't cut wood around here while it was warm and stocked up they are having one hell of a time gettin into the woods to cut it now. There are drifts 8ft deep in Allegan Co-not plowed up-just drifted into the treelines. Been helping for weeks now stocking my buddys parents outdoor woodstove. At least I am gettin good excercise.
When it thaws out theres gonna be a lot of flooding particularly on the Grand River areas here on the west side of the state. So its not over yet.
But I have to say this has been the roughest hardest longest winter I can remember in 38 years here. Its been extremely grueling and long and I cannot stress it how tired I am of it! Not even a decent mid winter thaw out either.

But George, if you move to Nashville-be sure to pick some high ground. That last big flood down there??? It wrecked alot of stuff. You should see what happened to Paisley's whole rig gear and guitars downtown Nashville.

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:08 pm

I hear you. To think I almost sold my generator last Summer. I would have been screwed.

All my friends who did cut wood are out now and have to restock. First time for that.

Toughest Winter I recall since I was a kid. Flint has record snowfall this season and is top 10 for most snow. 6" more tonight, guess what I'll be doing in the morning????

george