Transformer Materials, why cant they remake?

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

novosibir
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Transformer Materials, why cant they remake?

Post by novosibir » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:16 pm

lifer wrote:just a random thought..........

i actually work for a steel company. the VAST majority of new product is

just remelted from scrap material. very little is made from mined, "raw"

material...coke, etc., these days.

wonder if that has anything to do with it ?
Learn more and read this:
paulster wrote:Take a read of this thread and you'll have some idea of the problem:
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... &sk=t&sd=a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery

lifer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by lifer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:55 pm

thanks Larry--

i've worked in the biz for 19 yrs. and never heard of M6-27....etc.,etc. !!!!

we get test certs of the chemical analysis of every pc.....contains every element and it's percentage in the product.

I'm going to take a closer look at those cert. papers!!! :lol:

guitronics

Post by guitronics » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:41 pm

I don't own any of 'em, but when I do build again, I'm going for the Heyboer's.

I heard George Metro playing one of his heads with Heyboer's in it....

Sounded darn good to me.

My observations are the Hammond is aimed at Hi-Fi more than Guitar Amps....But if I had the chance to buy some Hammond Iron inexpensively, I'd jump on it, quick!

I'd use Toroids if they didn't cost so much. They're self - shielding.

Leo and Jim and even Stradivarius used whatever materials they could get, that would do the job, and didn't cost very much.

I sincerely doubt that the amp manufacturers (guitar amps) specified what kind of metal was to be used in making the lamination's, or anything in the transformer designs.I think they probably told the transformer guys to make what wouldn't burn out, under normal circumstances.

I imagine they specified the input parameters, power levels,and output parameters.

Later on, they probably asked for taps for different output impedance, and "international input voltages".(Hey , when you're ordering in the thousands, ya gotta ask for something).

Stradivarius found his "Tonewood" by discovering logs that had been submerged for years....probably very dense wood that wouldn't float. He used what he could get, for a cheap price.

All this talk about "Vintage parts" is OK up to a point. I've seen the video of Clapton's "Blackie" Strat being taken apart and new replica's made of it. Laughable! I wonder if they sampled the rockwell hardness of the bridge parts....

I think a guitar player uses what he has to produce a good sound...he'll keep changing pickups, strings, guitars, amps, etc., until he gets the sound he likes.

His technique will change, and will have an incredible effect on his overall sound.

Most Guitarists can play the same setup and sound completely different...technique is the differing factor.

Oddly enough,until mid - to - late 60's, guitar players didn't tweak things.They didn't use matched tubes.Most never re-biased.The amps were played with the speakers they came with.

Later on, there were the Fuzz boxes, then the WaWa pedals, Reverb and tremolo (Fender amps)....and cheesy coil - cords with right angle plugs. That was about it for many years.

Nobody was taking their pickup covers off, replacing pickups,using "High Quality 'Interconnects' " LOL, etc.

Some out West were slitting speaker cones for "Fuzz"....that's about it.

Us guitar players are a picky lot................ "I want some of that Voodoo, Chile"!
'76 Les Paul Custom,'68 Small Cab 50W head,'65 Blackface Twin Reverb,EV_SRO-12's,Miller PA Horn Speakers,EV Midrange Horns.Fender 400 PS bass head + one 18" 'W' bass bin.I'd like to buy a chrome stand for the PS Head.

bmf5150

Post by bmf5150 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:21 am

talk to john from sozo caps,he has disected alot of opt trannys.i believe he know where to get the correct and closest you can get made like the old days laminations...
R.I.P My precious daughter Aubrey Marie May 20th to May 23rd 2006,we love and miss you!
My EVH sound clips.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7782093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;