Clip: Choke Comparison [No Pepsi]

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

StratTone

Post by StratTone » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:39 am

rockstah wrote:Larry, i use a 47pf fizzy cap. after all the reading of 100pf and even 150pf and trying it i never quite get why someone would want to use such high values here. it just makes things murky. like a smeared color on canvas to my ears.
Mark
Which cap is the fizzy cap? I have a SLP that seems a little fizzy even with the loop bypass.

rgalpin

Post by rgalpin » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:23 am

the fizz cap is the 47pf cap on the board near the PI tube - it goes between the 82K and the 100K resistors that i believe are the plate resistors for the two sides of the PI tube.

i think the cap allows the fizzy highs to cancel each other out - the higher the value of the cap the deeper the cancellation digs into the signal - i suppose if you went too big it would start to lose clarity and sparkle - maybe that's what rockstah doesn't like about the 100pf - it's taking some of the edge off the fizz and it's taking some sparkle and clarity along with it.

seems there's always a compromise. :D

bluze81
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by bluze81 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:28 pm

Freebird wrote:Cool comparison! To me the 3H has a little kind of hollow sound. The 10H is little more compressed. Both chokes are sounding very nice. I could hard decide which one I would prefer.

I'd like to know whether the feeling to play them makes more different then soundwise?! I guess that 10H makes interactivity a little stiffer? Or is it the opposite?

Daniel
Recently I did the same comparisom, 3h choke,or [coke]LOL, to a MM10h, then a Metro/heyboer 5h ,like everone said 3h rude good in your face but very loose, 10h creamy smoooth,now the 5h as expected right between the two to me, a nice smooth but open tone, just right for old style rock, but I reinstalled the 3h Marstran in my 50w Metro build its what I preffer, a real rocket old style agressive rock sound,in the end they are all great sounding chokes to me ,I wish somebody would add the 20h for compare to the other three chokes! how bout you [Flames?] I know you have one in your arsenal, :wink: bluze

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:52 pm

I have the 20H Marstran Radio Spares clone in two amps, but as it is rated 20H@70mA by the time you are really pushing the current on a big 100-watt amp the Henries are on the way downhill already.

Xplorer
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Clip: Choke Comparison [No Pepsi]

Post by Xplorer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:34 pm

i wish i could compare, and it's great to hear a subtil difference between the 3 and the 10. i choosed a 4 hy anyway, it's just perfect, i really don't feel the need to look further.