Mercury Magnetic Transformer Wiring

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

User avatar
LJay942
Senior Member
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:13 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Iowa

Mercury Magnetic Transformer Wiring

Post by LJay942 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:40 pm

I went ahead and ordered a set of Mercury Magnetics Transformers for my JTM45 "re-build"

I've searched the forum a few times and have found multiple accounts of the instructions having a error in them which causes the amp to make a machine-gun noise or a squeal. Is this true? I believe it was two wires that needed to be reversed.

Also is there a wiring diagram for the MM Power transformer? I have looked but can't seem to find one. It would be helpful since it has terminals rather than wires running from it. Also is it OK to use the wire MetroAmp includes with it or do I need something heavier?

User avatar
LJay942
Senior Member
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:13 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Iowa

Re: Mercury Magnetic Transformer Wiring

Post by LJay942 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:32 pm

Here is a link to the picture off the MetroAmp site. If someone could label which wire corresponds with the instructions that would be awesome and appreciated greatly :)

Image

User avatar
Structo
Senior Member
Posts: 1219
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:07 pm
Just the numbers in order: 7
Location: Salem, Oregon

Re: Mercury Magnetic Transformer Wiring

Post by Structo » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:01 pm

Which tranny is it?

The ToneClone P4550JT?

http://metroamp.com/wiki/images/0/01/To ... 0JT-G1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There appears to be the G1, G2 and the G3 version of this tranny.

See here for all the diagrams.

http://metroamp.com/wiki/index.php/Cate ... _Magnetics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!

User avatar
LJay942
Senior Member
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:13 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Iowa

Re: Mercury Magnetic Transformer Wiring

Post by LJay942 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:01 pm

Structo wrote:Which tranny is it?

The ToneClone P4550JT?

http://metroamp.com/wiki/images/0/01/To ... 0JT-G1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There appears to be the G1, G2 and the G3 version of this tranny.

See here for all the diagrams.

http://metroamp.com/wiki/index.php/Cate ... _Magnetics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Tom,

I found that same image on MetroAmp's store page
Image

I'm really just trying to figure out what goes where as the image posted really doesn't help me as I'm still quite new to this and am looking for a paint by number or in this case solder by color approach.

I'm really second guessing myself with these new transformers and debating sticking with the stock ones. I'm afraid I might burn out a perfectly good transformer due to a wiring error.

User avatar
LJay942
Senior Member
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:13 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Iowa

Re: Mercury Magnetic Transformer Wiring

Post by LJay942 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:08 pm

LJay942 wrote:
Image
I looked over this picture with refrence to the diagram on MetroAmps site and have come to the conclusion that the wires running from the transformer are the input wires. And since I'm in the US I would use the black one and disregard the rest of the European voltages correct? Now what to do with all those other terminals I have no idea! :oops:

User avatar
LJay942
Senior Member
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:13 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Iowa

Re: Mercury Magnetic Transformer Wiring

Post by LJay942 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:37 am

This looks to be exactly what I was looking for. Just took a few searches and reading.

Is this correct for my application? Also, what/where do I connect to the common terminal?

Image

Chart found here:
http://metroamp.com/wiki/index.php/P4550JT-G2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
LJay942
Senior Member
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:13 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Iowa

Re: Mercury Magnetic Transformer Wiring

Post by LJay942 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:53 am

Also I'm assuming that it is alright to use the included MetroAmp wire when wiring the power tranny?

User avatar
Structo
Senior Member
Posts: 1219
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:07 pm
Just the numbers in order: 7
Location: Salem, Oregon

Re: Mercury Magnetic Transformer Wiring

Post by Structo » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:43 pm

On the primary side you would use terminal #1 (0v) for the common.

Yours has the black, red, yellow wires coming out right?

Then you would use #1 and the black wire for 120v operation and shrink tube the red and yellow and tuck those leads out of the way.

So the wire you solder to #1 and the black wire is your primary.
These will go to the fuse holder, pilot light and power switch.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!

User avatar
LJay942
Senior Member
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:13 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Iowa

Re: Mercury Magnetic Transformer Wiring

Post by LJay942 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:19 pm

Structo wrote:On the primary side you would use terminal #1 (0v) for the common.

Yours has the black, red, yellow wires coming out right?

Then you would use #1 and the black wire for 120v operation and shrink tube the red and yellow and tuck those leads out of the way.

So the wire you solder to #1 and the black wire is your primary.
These will go to the fuse holder, pilot light and power switch.
Thanks Tom,

My transformer looks just like the image I posted a few posts ago.

So I would run a wire from the common to the fuse holder where the common from the cord is.

The Black wire I would then attach to my switch. The other leads for the European voltages I would just cut and shrink tube. I'm still new so forgive me newbie questions. I'm simply trying to the best job I can and more importantly the safest.

I already went out and got the parts I need for a current limiter.

User avatar
Structo
Senior Member
Posts: 1219
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:07 pm
Just the numbers in order: 7
Location: Salem, Oregon

Re: Mercury Magnetic Transformer Wiring

Post by Structo » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:49 pm

If you have a good chassis layout for the JTM 45 that will help you a lot.

There are a couple schools of thought on which wire should go to the fuse holder first.
If you run the black (hot) wire from the cord to the terminal on the end of the fuse holder, that means if the amp is plugged in and you go to replace a fuse, you could get shocked if you happen to touch any metal part of the cap when you screw it in.
For this reason some guys like to run the white (neutral) wire to the fuse first.

I would suggest that you don't cut the higher voltage primary taps.
You never know, the amp could end up someplace with those voltages some day and I'm sure the new owner would appreciate having those leads left long.
Just cut them off near the end so there isn't any wire sticking out, put some heat shrink tubing on the ends and shrink it.
You can then either coil them up or just include them in your bundle of wires from the PT when you cable tie it.

I'm not real familiar with the Metro 45 kit but you also want to make sure what pilot light you have. Some are 120v while others are 6v.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!

User avatar
LJay942
Senior Member
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:13 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Iowa

Re: Mercury Magnetic Transformer Wiring

Post by LJay942 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:20 pm

Structo wrote:If you have a good chassis layout for the JTM 45 that will help you a lot.

There are a couple schools of thought on which wire should go to the fuse holder first.
If you run the black (hot) wire from the cord to the terminal on the end of the fuse holder, that means if the amp is plugged in and you go to replace a fuse, you could get shocked if you happen to touch any metal part of the cap when you screw it in.
For this reason some guys like to run the white (neutral) wire to the fuse first.

I would suggest that you don't cut the higher voltage primary taps.
You never know, the amp could end up someplace with those voltages some day and I'm sure the new owner would appreciate having those leads left long.
Just cut them off near the end so there isn't any wire sticking out, put some heat shrink tubing on the ends and shrink it.
You can then either coil them up or just include them in your bundle of wires from the PT when you cable tie it.

I'm not real familiar with the Metro 45 kit but you also want to make sure what pilot light you have. Some are 120v while others are 6v.
Thanks Tom,

I think I will keep the European taps just in case I decide to sell the amp at some point, I can offer it to international buyers. So it would be alright to run the common tap off the Power Transformer to the fuse holder. The lamp is 120v.

Thanks again I appreciate the help.

User avatar
Structo
Senior Member
Posts: 1219
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:07 pm
Just the numbers in order: 7
Location: Salem, Oregon

Re: Mercury Magnetic Transformer Wiring

Post by Structo » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:28 pm

Yes, find yourself a good chassis layout diagram for the amp and refer to that.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!

User avatar
LJay942
Senior Member
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:13 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Iowa

Re: Mercury Magnetic Transformer Wiring

Post by LJay942 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:37 pm

It's a drop in upgrade for a Metro JTM45 kit, so I plan just to follow Georges instructions.

Thanks,

jonamojo
Senior Member
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:25 pm
Just the numbers in order: 7
Location: orange county, CA

Re: Mercury Magnetic Transformer Wiring

Post by jonamojo » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:11 pm

LJay942 wrote:Also I'm assuming that it is alright to use the included MetroAmp wire when wiring the power tranny?
I recommend a heavier gauge wire for your heaters than what comes with the kit. the wire in the kit is I believe 22 gauge

User avatar
LJay942
Senior Member
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:13 am
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Iowa

Re: Mercury Magnetic Transformer Wiring

Post by LJay942 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:26 pm

jonamojo wrote:
LJay942 wrote:Also I'm assuming that it is alright to use the included MetroAmp wire when wiring the power tranny?
I recommend a heavier gauge wire for your heaters than what comes with the kit. the wire in the kit is I believe 22 gauge
I don't mean to be rude but why? I haven't read anyone complaining as well as the amp George builds use the same wire. Just curious as to why you say to use thicker.

Post Reply