Mercury Magnetic Transformer Wiring

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Structo
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Mercury Magnetic Transformer Wiring

Post by Structo » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:33 pm

The heater wires carry significantly more current than any other wires in the amp.
Around 4.5 amps on a 50 watter and 7.5 amps on the 100 watter.

So to reduce any heating or series resistance a lot of guys use 20 or 18 gauge wire for the heaters. :wink:

22 ga is fine for lead dress on the tubes.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!

LJay942
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by LJay942 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:25 pm

Structo wrote:The heater wires carry significantly more current than any other wires in the amp.
Around 4.5 amps on a 50 watter and 7.5 amps on the 100 watter.

So to reduce any heating or series resistance a lot of guys use 20 or 18 gauge wire for the heaters. :wink:

22 ga is fine for lead dress on the tubes.
So I'll be OK with the 22 gauge MetroAmp supplies for my JTM45 build correct?

Structo

Post by Structo » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:43 pm

22 ga is fine for hook up wire but I would use 18 for the heaters.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!

LJay942

Post by LJay942 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:17 pm

Structo wrote:22 ga is fine for hook up wire but I would use 18 for the heaters.
Why would MetroAmp supply 22 gauge wire for heater wiring if you should really use a thicker wire due to the amount of current present? I'm contemplating pushing back the build in order to source 18 gauge wire. The smallest that the local hardware store has is 14 gauge which is way too thick of a wire.

LJay942

Post by LJay942 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:08 pm

Alright so I recieved my transformers from Mercury today. Only problem is they changed the labeling on the bottom of the power transformer. It doesn't match up with what is on the MetroAmp wiki or what George has posted on the forum.

Here is what the bottom of my P4550JT-G2 looks like

http://www.aww-kittah-aww.com/up/public ... CN2910.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is what George posted in the Transformer Wiring section

Here is the link to the MetroWiki article showing the wiring diagram I planned on using.

Should I just ignore what is written on the transformer and label it based on what is on the MetroWiki/George's post or did Mercury change something?

Thanks! :)

jonamojo

Post by jonamojo » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:43 pm

LJay942 wrote:
jonamojo wrote:
LJay942 wrote:Also I'm assuming that it is alright to use the included MetroAmp wire when wiring the power tranny?
I recommend a heavier gauge wire for your heaters than what comes with the kit. the wire in the kit is I believe 22 gauge
I don't mean to be rude but why? I haven't read anyone complaining as well as the amp George builds use the same wire. Just curious as to why you say to use thicker.
georges power transformer comes with leads, mercury does not , I was just recommending that you use a similar gauge to what you would have if you had a transformer with leads. The wiring is the same for your transformer mercury just decided to label there taps rather than number them.

LJay942

Post by LJay942 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:29 pm

I'm wiring up the MM Output Transformer to the impedance switch and am scratching my head right now.

I'm using this diagram.

I know where to put every wire except for the yellow wire. I'm assuming it gets connected to the sleeve of the output speaker jack as seen here:

I'm really starting to regret these Mercury Magnetics transformers as they are a real pain for a newbie such as myself. :oops:

jonamojo

Post by jonamojo » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:57 pm

LJay942 wrote:I'm wiring up the MM Output Transformer to the impedance switch and am scratching my head right now.

I'm using this diagram.

I know where to put every wire except for the yellow wire. I'm assuming it gets connected to the sleeve of the output speaker jack as seen here:

I'm really starting to regret these Mercury Magnetics transformers as they are a real pain for a newbie such as myself. :oops:
yes that is correct, yellow is common

LJay942

Post by LJay942 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:05 pm

jonamojo wrote:
LJay942 wrote:I'm wiring up the MM Output Transformer to the impedance switch and am scratching my head right now.

I'm using this diagram.

yes that is correct, yellow is common
Awesome Thanks!

LJay942

Post by LJay942 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Structo wrote:22 ga is fine for hook up wire but I would use 18 for the heaters.
Went ahead and ordered some 18 gauge wire.

Better safe than sorry :)

Anyone know where I can find different color 18 gauge wire? Metro only sells black and red.

rock014588

Post by rock014588 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:41 am

hi,
great post many things to learnt but sorry i don't have any idea about metroamp but i will ask my friend and let you know