Replacement Power Tranny

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

mrlabradog
Just the numbers in order: 7

Replacement Power Tranny

Post by mrlabradog » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:22 pm

Hi guys,
I'm new here. My name is Alan. I've been building, repairing and selling guitars for many years and have owned 2 retail shops in MI. I also do some amp work, but mainly for myself. Nice to meet you guys! If I can answer guitar related questions, let me know…
My first question for you folks is about buying a replacement power tranny to replace the Drake 1202 164 in my '76 JMP. What have you guys found to be your favorite, most comparable to the original? I really don't want to lose the tone I had or have to mod the amp if at all possible and would like to even find an original from someone's boneyard if that's possible and not monetarily out of the question. I can do the work myself and have the proper knowledge and equipment. I just need suggestions for brands and/or model #'s to most accurately recreate what I had and opinions on them. Thanks for any help! :)
Alan

gldtp99

Re: Replacement Power Tranny

Post by gldtp99 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:24 pm

Marstran 1202-164 PT: http://www.marstran.com/164.htm

Marstran (Wallace Amplification) is located in SE Michigan---- the transformer itself is made by Heyboer, to Marstran's specs----- Heyboer is from Michigan--- I'm also orig from Michigan.
Welcome to the forum.......................gldtp99

mrlabradog
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by mrlabradog » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:42 am

Thanks!
I hear Heyboer makes a good xformer and makes models for several other companeis, as well. Any idea how they all stack up against each other or in comparison to Mercury and Hammond - or even the modern Drakes? :what:

EddyInChicago

Post by EddyInChicago » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:59 pm

Welcome Alan,

Just my opinion, of course, ALL the transformers you named (i.e: Hammond...etc) DO NOT come close
to Marstran or M E R R E N Audio transformers.

Ed