Classic Tone for 12 series?

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

BoogieEngineer
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Classic Tone for 12 series?

Post by BoogieEngineer » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:58 am

Read in the EVH's specs topic that Classic Tone T2562 clone has the right sag, according to Dave F. Can anyone compare it to Marstran or Mer ren's T2562? Those guys don't have any of those so I have to look into Classic Tone. Can it also do the dual voltage thing?

Maybe I'll go Classic Tone all the way if they meet the bar set by Marstran or Mer ren.

picassographic
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Classic Tone for 12 series?

Post by picassographic » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:03 am

Hi. I recently bought that PT with the upgraded m-6 version and the 3H choke. I didnt build the amp yet but they look really sturdy.They are getting good reviews here and the they seem like taking care of their customers. Also I dont know if they refer these sag values for both regular and upgraded versions. And you just have laydown version with m-6 upgrade. :scratch:

I still dont have the OT and now I dont have idea if MC one sounds like a replica from metro,marstran dagnall clones which is said to be the most important part in these amps. From what I read in this forum and from the clips they seem sounding a bit smooth and suitable for a hi-gain soldano mesa, modded marshall type circuit. A good plexi OT sounds hefty with punchy lows and thats what I hear in heyboer pruductions. I feel I will just go with a marstran dagnall if my funds allow me and be done with thinkering.

Hope that helps,

BoogieEngineer

Post by BoogieEngineer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:20 am

Update: I have finished a 12 series build with ClassicTone irons all the way, including the choke. I can only say they are awesome, absolutely on par with Marstran irons I've got on the JTM45/100. I love the amp very much after a few cool tweaks. I'm not after EVH tone on this one though. I will definitely use ClassicTone stuff again in future builds

ClassicTone

Post by ClassicTone » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:37 am

Glad you like them! Thanks for your business :D

ClassicTone By Magnetic Components, Inc.
http://www.classictone.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

axeman

Post by axeman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:34 pm

picassographic wrote:Hi. I recently bought that PT with the upgraded m-6 version and the 3H choke. I didnt build the amp yet but they look really sturdy.They are getting good reviews here and the they seem like taking care of their customers. Also I dont know if they refer these sag values for both regular and upgraded versions. And you just have laydown version with m-6 upgrade. :scratch:

I still dont have the OT and now I dont have idea if MC one sounds like a replica from metro,marstran dagnall clones which is said to be the most important part in these amps. From what I read in this forum and from the clips they seem sounding a bit smooth and suitable for a hi-gain soldano mesa, modded marshall type circuit. A good plexi OT sounds hefty with punchy lows and thats what I hear in heyboer pruductions. I feel I will just go with a marstran dagnall if my funds allow me and be done with thinkering.

Hope that helps,
You are a smart man, to be honest with you the marren are louder and have this certain feel that you are playing a good amp IMO I have two 50 watters built exactly the same, they have the same nos 6ca7 Mullards xf2 and 1970 made in Spain Philips 12AX7 and Mustard cap's. The Marren amp realy sounds special.

axeman

Post by axeman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:18 pm

To be completely fair, I also had one of the 50 watter (1987) with MC transformers and choke. I felt it had a very nice clean tone and while cranked it was very aggressive. That was with Wing C and Xf2, and the Philips 1970 12AX7. But when I installed some fairly new Xf1 Holly shit , I was sold, on the Xf1 that is, but the MC tranies did impress me for the Dollar IMO. I think I have pic's and may be a Video on my computer I might be able to upload.

BrownSound1

Post by BrownSound1 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:49 pm

I just bought the MC laydown PT for my '68 build. Undecided on what OT I will get, and yes I am going full bore VH. ;)
Why is it we can remember where all the wires go, but can never find a pick?

BoogieEngineer

Post by BoogieEngineer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:51 pm

BrownSound1 wrote:I just bought the MC laydown PT for my '68 build. Undecided on what OT I will get, and yes I am going full bore VH. ;)
If money is not a problem definitely go with Me rr en

BrownSound1

Post by BrownSound1 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:42 pm

BoogieEngineer wrote:
BrownSound1 wrote:I just bought the MC laydown PT for my '68 build. Undecided on what OT I will get, and yes I am going full bore VH. ;)
If money is not a problem definitely go with Me rr en
I bought the MC power transformer because of Dave Freidman saying it had the proper sag, and I didn't care about a dual voltage PT since I have a Variac. Great price too. As far as OT I am hung up on the 1.5" vs 2" thing much more than price.
Why is it we can remember where all the wires go, but can never find a pick?

19sixtynine

Post by 19sixtynine » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:00 pm

i used a lot of diff trnfrmrs. in different Marshall circuits. one thing for sure...

i wouldnt use anything but Me rr en Audio... nor would i build and sell an amp w/o them.

tubes and the iron MAKE the amp. you want real marshall tone? u better get Mer ren.