Vibrating Output Transformer

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

pearlrider
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Vibrating Output Transformer

Post by pearlrider » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:58 am

If my JTM45 build is on for more than two or more hours the output transformer starts to vibrate. There is an audible hum. This hum does not come through the speakers and doesn’t affect the sound in any way. In fact the amp sounds great. The longer and hotter the amp gets the louder the hum gets. It’s not bad, I just think it may have a long term affect. I think I know what it is. But it would still be nice to hear what you think.

I found this problem when I went to turn the amp off one night. I thought it was the power transformer. I put my hand on it. There was nothing. I put my hand on the output and it was the one that was vibrating.

As this is my first build and first subject started, here are some pictures of the amp.

Tremblayamps
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Vibrating Output Transformer

Post by Tremblayamps » Mon May 27, 2013 4:09 pm

I find that when I use a load box my OT will audibly play exactly what I'm playing out the guitar. This is normal for that operation. I would suggest tightening the 4 screws on the transformer and see if there tight when the amp gets hot. Basic physics says that when something gets hot it will expand and if your transformer is loose the hotter it gets the more loose it will get causing a louder vibration
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tremblay Amps
https://www.facebook.com/TremblayAmps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;