Just had an amazing conversation with Sergio from Mercury M

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

novosibir
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by novosibir » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:23 am

Mr G wrote:... M6 steel laminations under my desk - made at the mill here in the UK that supplies(d) Dagnall and Drake with their laminations since the early 60's.
They presumably also are supplying SKOT in the UK, from where I get my DINO transformers? Awesome transformers, but not for a "60' sound spot on", rather for a more modern 80' sound.

Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery

Mr G

Post by Mr G » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:10 am

["They presumably also are supplying SKOT in the UK, from where I get my DINO transformers? Awesome transformers, but not for a "60' sound spot on", rather for a more modern 80' sound.

Larry"]

Never heard of SKOT...dont know if they source from the same people - why not ask them if its a central london based company they source their material from?

I can tell you, that drake and dagnall do not buy their laminations anymore from the company that took over from Linton & Hurst - as their decisions are made by price than by quality... the M6 I had was comparitively expensive...when compared to other ~junk~ steel i.e. used for the output transformers. There you want the real crapola...but definately NOT for the Pt's...

I know of 2 guys here in the UK that can wind transformers the way they used to be done...both worked for Drake over the years...nice gents too...but you have to have a minimum order of 10 transformers to make it worth anyone's while... which is an expensive shame...

All the stuff sold by Metroamp and Brian Wallace is top top quality....having compared it to the originals...they are practically identical...especially if you give them 30+ years equivalent of input voltage...!

novosibir
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by novosibir » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:57 am

Mr G wrote:Never heard of SKOT...
http://www.skot.co.uk/

Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery