O'netics PT's and OT's

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

jngreene79

O'netics PT's and OT's

Post by jngreene79 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:13 pm

Has anyone ever used an O'netics PT or OT. I"m expecting a Hi fi onle for a 50 watt high gain build (very close to a SLO). Their engineer, Bud is a super nice guy and he told me that they make a few Marshall style trannies. One's an 800/Plexi style OT and the other is a OEI clone. Just wondering if anyone's had any experience with them. -James

jngreene79

Post by jngreene79 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:57 am

I'll respond to myself. No, I have not tried either Plexi OT's, but the Hi def is excellent. If you're reading this Necrovore (I know you've been interested in SLO's,) the OT has had a tremendous impact on the sound. I found the 800 OT became sloppy very easily - bass would fart out. Circuitwise, it's a cross between a SLO (hot rodded 800) and an Ecstasy. With the master on 10 and the preamp on ~3-4, it sound really close my 1987. Boost the preamps to 5 or 6 and it screams 'The Still of the Night'.

philmanatee

Post by philmanatee » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:31 am

I'm talking to Bud today about transformers for a custom design I'm almost ready to start. I used his retro m output in my hiwatt custom lead 30 but it wasn't the right voice, I'll probably try the blues or standard next. I'm going to try the high def in my new build, that's what Bud recommended. Phil

jngreene79

Post by jngreene79 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:06 pm

Interesting about the retro M. If you new amp design necessitates a pretty 'flat' tone (high gain or clean), you'll dig the hi-fi. I already said it, but I love it. Tight bass response and smooth highs... :D check out my version with the Hi-f and 6l6's at http://media.putfile.com/2-channel-HG crappy playing, 1x12 open back alnico speaker with a Mass attenuated to 'bedroom' levels.