Transformer Break In

All about iron and copper.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Hammer Down

Transformer Break In

Post by Hammer Down » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:03 pm

I just installed the Metro C1998 OT in my 1959SLP RI and it sounds fabulous. Alot more clear, smoother overdrive, faster attack, stout, slightly punchier and very rich in harmonic tone. I've heard it takes 24 - 30 hours to break in. What should I be listening for? Does it loosen up...relax alittle...??? Get stronger? Just curious thanks.

Great Job George!

Also the next thing is the PTP board.

Already made it a shared cathode which made it sound slightly fatter with slightly less overdrive. Does adding the PTP board make it sound even more smoother....sweeter? What in a general sense for those that did it does the PTP board start adding to the tone? Thanks for you replies!!

Also a huge shout out to Larry for the V1 (pin 1) to ground for draining the caps. Did everything safely...phew.

novosibir
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Transformer Break In

Post by novosibir » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:34 am

Hammer Down wrote:I just installed the Metro C1998 OT in my 1959SLP RI and it sounds fabulous. Alot more clear, smoother overdrive, faster attack, stout, slightly punchier and very rich in harmonic tone. I've heard it takes 24 - 30 hours to break in. What should I be listening for? Does it loosen up...relax alittle...??? Get stronger? Just curious thanks.
The sound becomes still sweeter, fatter and warmer. If you maybe feel the sound a bit edgy with the new OT, that will get lost over the first 20-30 hours.

Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery

Hammer Down

Post by Hammer Down » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:48 am

Awesome! :D Thanks for your help. :D