How to Pick an SG?

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Rich_D
Just the numbers in order: 7

How to Pick an SG?

Post by Rich_D » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:52 pm

I am looking at Gibson SG's with a budget of $1200. What era and features should I look for? I'm sure there must be choice models and years preferred by SG owners. Thanks!
Interpretation?! I thought I was playing it right!

somethin'else

Re: How to Pick an SG?

Post by somethin'else » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:06 pm

Save a grand . . . LYLE.

I had an 80's (non lawsuit :what: ) Hummingbird acoustic. Pawn shop luck. It ruled. Til I pawned it for gas money back to New Orleans. $200.

Unless it has to say Gibson. :whistle:

ps, looks like "TV Jones / Filtertron" type pups in it. I'll bet that guitar is pisser sounding! You could put anything you want in it for that price. Happy Thanksgiving!
dave

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:12 am

Rich_D wrote:I am looking at Gibson SG's with a budget of $1200. What era and features should I look for? I'm sure there must be choice models and years preferred by SG owners. Thanks!
The '61 SG reissues (with the short guard plate) are really decent guitars. There seem to be a lot of these hanging around Ebay right now in your price range:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/61-Gibson-SG-Re ... 2eb924f0a1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINT-2007-Gibso ... 27c04b712a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-gibson-61- ... 1e68751220" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-SG-61-Re ... 1c21263a57" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:D

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:08 pm

I had a Carlo Robelli (Sam Ash private label) in the late 70's that was better (and cheaper!) than any Gibby I played.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Rich_D

Post by Rich_D » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:22 pm

Man those Robelli SGs are gorgeous guitars, but bolt-on. I want to go classic for variety from my other guitars.

Edit: Unless someone convinces me not to; I'm always open for experienced advice.

Edit Edit: wow, I like this Robelli. :drool: NYChief, can you tell me anything about it? Going on the descriptions of the Ibanez Destroyer vs. the Explorer, the neck has a more playable profile and the frets are good for speed by Ibanez design. Is that the case in the SG?

Janglin_Jack

Post by Janglin_Jack » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:54 pm

I had an Epiphone Elitist '61 reissue, great guitar. I would like to get a Standard where the neck joins the body at the 19th vs 21st of the '61.

Mike

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:04 pm

Holy crap!!!! It never ocurred to me that they might still be around. I might have to get one for old times sake myself now! I didn't know they were made by Ibanez. (I didn't know much of anything but the basics back then.... :oops: ).

I loved that guitar. It was my first "real" guitar in high school. I laid it down on the floor after pratice one night and the bass player promptly knocked his 2-15 cab over on it breaking the neck / headstock. After being crushed I glued it back up and played it for years until I sold it for a Fender Strat. In hind sight the Robelli was better than the Strat!

In fact I almost bought a Robelli LP Custom that was easily as nice as the mid to late '70's Gibby's.

After watching Cream's Farewell concert the other night I was thinking about getting an SG and painting up like EC's / Jimmy Seavall's "Fool". A '70's Robelli SG would be a perfect low dollar project!
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Rich_D

Post by Rich_D » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:31 pm

Yeah, thanks for the tip. Please don't snake me before I can buy this SG after I sell my Washburn N4 Padauk Davies 2.0 Reissue. <<Shameless plug.