.1nf for guitar

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

.1nf for guitar

Post by JimiJames » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:17 pm

Anybody use one ? ( MrBeasty ?)
How would a .1nf affect my tone ? I'm happy with just a .05, but curious to know how it affects along side another cap like my.05 or a .22 or .47 .
Does it hold or tighten the bass as you roll off the volume ? Less muddy, more clear ?
(I've never used or thought of using one :shrug: )
e.g.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

fillmore nyc
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: .1nf for guitar

Post by fillmore nyc » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:40 am

JimiJames wrote:Anybody use one ? ( MrBeasty ?)
How would a .1nf affect my tone ? I'm happy with just a .05, but curious to know how it affects along side another cap like my.05 or a .22 or .47 .
Does it hold or tighten the bass as you roll off the volume ? Less muddy, more clear ?
(I've never used or thought of using one :shrug: )
What that .1nf cap does is shunt some high frequencies back to the amp instead of losing them to ground. When you roll off the volume, you dont get the typical loss of highs that happens with most volume pots used in a guitar.

(Im used to caps being referred to in microfarads, so to me, we're talking about a .001mf cap. Same shit, different terminology).

I actually DONT like that mod, cause to me, the guitar sounds a little "sterile" when rolling off the volume... I like the slight loss of highs, cause without that cap, the guitar easily goes from a ripping lead to a warmer jazzy rhythm just by rolling the pot.
I also use less of a cap value in my tone circuit. Most factory guitars with humbuckers have a .022 cap for the tone... I like something around a .01 cap in there, depending on the pickup. A .022 just seems to take off too much of the highs... a .01 makes a more usable circuit, IMO.

Some guys swear by that .001mf bright cap mod, so its simply up to the ears.
:listen:
Last edited by fillmore nyc on Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:29 am

Thanks (yet, again) Bro !
Good to know when factoring in variables. Could be useful as part of the tonal equation.
BTW I'm supa dupa likin' that setup you helped me out over a year ago
and part of that tonal equation was to add a .05. PERFECTO ! For this config ! I still owe you a demo :hide:
I like the .01's too ! I use (real) .022 BumbleBee's in my LP's Not a fan of the .047's in any guitar
(BTW I meant .022 & .047 but I see that you saw what I seen that you saw... see ?)
Some guys swear by that .001mf bright cap mod, so its simply up to the ears.
Never tried that... but I will... to see if I can dial in Mars and let you know if I hear Martians...
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

fillmore nyc
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by fillmore nyc » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:06 pm

JimiJames wrote:Thanks (yet, again) Bro !
Anytime!!
:thumbsup:
JimiJames wrote:(BTW I meant .022 & .047 but I see that you saw what I seen that you saw... see ?)
Ahh... NOW I see!!

:scratch:

:lol: :lol: