MusicMan Axis

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

kpinks

MusicMan Axis

Post by kpinks » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:33 am

I bought a new Musicman Axis guitar with the Gotoh Floyd. Awesome playing guitar, but the tremolo set-up does not seem to stay in tune very well. It is a dive-only tremolo. The tremolo bridge is parallel to the body, the nut is tight, but still after using the bar only a little, it goes out of tune and it is not consistent. Sometimes all the strings are flat, sometimes they are sharp! What areas do I need to look at to resolve this? Has anyone else had this problem?
So I tightened the springs in the tremolo cavity. Tuning a lot better, but the 3 high strings still a little flat from time to time? Does this mean I need to tighten only the spring on the treble side a little more?
Thanks in advance
Kev

planetjimi

Re: MusicMan Axis

Post by planetjimi » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:49 am

Does your neck shift? Make sure it is screwed on tight. Careful though don't strip the wood.

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:06 pm

New, it should be already intonated from the factory, but check.
Then incorporated the The Frudua Way (frudua.com) :idea:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

fillmore nyc
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by fillmore nyc » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:00 pm

kpinks wrote:...the nut is tight, but still after using the bar only a little, it goes out of tune and it is not consistent. Sometimes all the strings are flat, sometimes they are sharp!
...but the 3 high strings still a little flat from time to time?
Kev
Kev, this sounds a lot like the nut is slipping. If the trem is laying ON the body (meaning that you cant pull it up, even if you wanted to) and everything else is tight (the neck, like "planetjimi" said, the string clamps at the bridge, the nut itself it tight to the neck, etc), then it seems reasonable to suspect the nut clamps, even though the clamps might feel tight.
Also, make sure the nut clamps are facing the right way. If its a close copy to an actual Floyd nut, the clamps should be facing like a row of houses, like this:
images.25.jpg
(4.77 KiB) Downloaded 1986 times
Thats important, cause those clamps are directional.

If all that is correct, then look at the clamps bottom surface and make sure there are no moulded burrs, or anything else that would prevent them from really seating well.

That would be my guess.
:what:

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:53 pm

Excellent as always, fil !
The only other thing that comes to mind are the springs themselves.
DO NOT TRUST those type springs. Ditch the pot-metal ones for some old steel.
I get mine from guitar shows and the neighborhood music store.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:08 pm

JimiJames wrote:Excellent as always, fil !
The only other thing that comes to mind are the springs themselves.
DO NOT TRUST those type springs. Ditch the pot-metal ones for some old steel.
I get mine from guitar shows and the neighborhood music store.
:thumbsup:

More good "voice of experience" advice!! Those old Fender/Floyd steel springs cant be beat, and are a "must" upgrade if the trem came with shit for springs.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:27 am

I have an Axis. By far that Floyd on those is the best version made. If the bottom of the clamp nuts are not worn, check the bolts that go through the neck to the nut. They can easily get loose and cause bad tunning issues especially when you going both ways sharp and flat.
Check the fine tuners. Make sure they hit directly on top of the saddle adjustment screws. If they are slightly bent they will shift and change the tunning especially when the string tension changes with the bar.
The tiny blocks in the saddles may also be worn or someone put one in upsidown or in backwards. Most Floyds the hole for the saddle adjustment screw is more towards the bottom bridge side, not in the middle. Changing those little blocks makes a huge difference especially on the smaller diameter strings.
Also, strings. Get new high quality strings. Often overlooked. Cheap strings are for banjo's.
12000 Metro Kit

kpinks

Post by kpinks » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:13 pm

Hey, I am from Halifax, actually down near Peggy's Cove. Lived there for 30 years. I did check the screws holding the nut and they were a little loose, so I tightened them. I will check the tiny blocks in the saddles this weekend. Nothing should be worn on this guitar as I just bought it a month ago from Long & McQuade. Thanks for your help!
Kevin Pinks

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:28 pm

kpinks wrote:Hey, I am from Halifax, actually down near Peggy's Cove. Lived there for 30 years. I did check the screws holding the nut and they were a little loose, so I tightened them. I will check the tiny blocks in the saddles this weekend. Nothing should be worn on this guitar as I just bought it a month ago from Long & McQuade. Thanks for your help!
Kevin Pinks
Yeah, I got mine form them as well! Cunard Street by the Commons. Burst with flame top. They had 3 there for a while. Quilt top burst, Flame top burst and a Natural light wood quilt.
The necks are finished with real Carnauba wax. I'd get some and use it from time to time.
This is the stuff used on the EBMM's necks. Don't use the liquid stuff. I've used this on a bare neck and it reproduced the feel of the Axis exactly the same.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Gerlitz-GNO-Numb ... 2c62f69a20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
12000 Metro Kit

kpinks

Post by kpinks » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:01 pm

Great, thanks for the tip!

kpinks

Post by kpinks » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:38 pm

Hello, I also noticed my volume pot on my guitar is a bit scratchy. Do I just spray some contact cleaner in the pot from the back access panel?
Thx
Kev

HTH

Post by HTH » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:22 pm

Those Gotoh floyds are really good quality, their springs are the only ones that would keep my old floyd in tune. Trems are just too much hard work for me, I just wanna play and not have to keep pulling my hair out over the tuning. My Vee and Les Paul are always in perfect tune from gig to gig right out of the case, can't complain with that.
"If you can possibly manage the time, please play both sides at one meeting"

http://www.youtube.com/TeleCustom72" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:42 am

HTH wrote:Those Gotoh floyds are really good quality, their springs are the only ones that would keep my old floyd in tune. Trems are just too much hard work for me, I just wanna play and not have to keep pulling my hair out over the tuning. My Vee and Les Paul are always in perfect tune from gig to gig right out of the case, can't complain with that.
Floyds are like good looking women. Get use to the maintenance.
12000 Metro Kit

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:46 am

kpinks wrote:Hello, I also noticed my volume pot on my guitar is a bit scratchy. Do I just spray some contact cleaner in the pot from the back access panel?
Thx
Kev
So is mine. I never got around to looking at it. You could try the electrical contact cleaner. Only need a tiny shot of the stuff. Usually the best thing is to just put in a new high quality pot.
Mine is only scratchy in the high volume region. Most pots seem to get arthritic in that region somehow.
12000 Metro Kit

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:21 pm

kpinks wrote:Hello, I also noticed my volume pot on my guitar is a bit scratchy. Do I just spray some contact cleaner in the pot from the back access panel?
Thx
Kev
Yeah, give it a shot of contact cleaner, making sure it gets inside the pot, and then rotate the pot stop to stop a few times. That should clear up any gremlins in there.
:D