Pigtails

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

philmanatee

Post by philmanatee » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:53 am

I just got back from my luthier's, we were both amazed at the light weight of the pigtail. He's crowning my frets and putting an unbleached bone nut on it, while he has it. He pointed out that the pickguard isn't in the correct position, so I may have him make a new one and install that too. Overall he was pretty impressed with my guitar and how close it was to a real one, in most respects. I've been trying to make a habit of taking a different one of my gibson's to each gig, good thing I used that one last week. Phil

philmanatee

Post by philmanatee » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:10 am

Just got my R4 back with pigtail installed. It was hard to put it down, the harmonics are amazing! I was cranking it through my jtm-45 through a pair of alnico fanes in an open back mesa cab, good stuff! :D 8) Phil

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:13 am

Now if I can just convince N.Y.Chief to get some Pigtail studs and tailpiece for his JB, I have been trying.. :lol: :lol:
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

philmanatee

Post by philmanatee » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:25 am

If anything the pigtail just looks better than the clunky stock wraparound! :D Phil

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:35 pm

yngwie308 wrote: Now if I can just convince N.Y.Chief to get some Pigtail studs and tailpiece for his JB, I have been trying.. :lol: :lol:
yngwie308
OK, Dave, I HEAR ya!!! :D
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

shakti
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by shakti » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:20 am

I am about ready to get some steel studs for my '02 R8. Do any of you think there's any reason to change the tailpiece? I thought the Historic tailpieces were already lighweight aluminum? Mine weighs around 30 grams.

And also about the bridge...I was thinking I'd swap out the stock bridge with the retainer wire with a Pigtail. But original bursts had zinc bridges with brass saddles, didn't they? Were there any original vintage Les Pauls with aluminum bridges? I want to keep mine as close to vintage accurate as I can - it's already been through a Historic Makeover process, so it has the correct truss rod, braz board with hide glue, correct nitro laquer and neck shape, real 50s tuners and truss rod cover.

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:50 am

Shakti, BCR Music and Sound, Greg is the proprieter, sold me my Pigtail hardware. Yes the Pigtail aluminum tailpiece, is a whole cosmos removed from the Historic part. The construction of the Pigtail part is as close to a real vintage one that you can get and it is lighter, better constructed and completely accurate, in comparision to anything else out there.
As far as the ABR-1, if you read my original posts, the average ABR-1 are nickel plated zinc, I believe with brass saddles, as were the '50's bridges. The tolerances are so close on the Pigtail part that no retaining wire is necessary.
The aluminum Pigtail ABR-1 is only indicated for a guitar with a slightly thicker finish on the top, such as a Les Paul Custom, ect.
In the case of my Goldtop conversion, I knew that it would wake up the guitar. Believe me, I cannot reccomend a more vintage accurate or better made bridge, tailpiece and steel studs, than Steve of Pigtail.
It is his other job, he is a master machinist who digitalyy copied many vintage Gibson parts, they are constructed using the highest quality CNC machinery, and you will not find a true work of art in metal like these pieces.
Now specify to Greg at BCR Music And Sound, that you are using the studs on a Historic, which would require some shortening I belive of the Stud length, ect. I am not 100% sure about these details at the moment as I am in Maryland away frm my computer, getting ready for the Philly show tommorow.
Greg also will age the parts for you to whatever state of wear you want, or it can remain stock. He is a master at this work and came highly reccomended, by the Les Paul Forum and other Les Paul related forums.
I am a Les Paul Forum member and I have been searching and researchin g there for quite a while.
The difference in playability, tone, and transference of the vibration connection, with the Pigtail steel studs, ABR-1 and tailpiece, has to be heard to believe it.
They are works of art in metal and you will be just looking at them in awe, as they are incredible. I know that I have used much hyperbole in describing Pigtails work, but I would fit them to an original '50's Gibson without any hesitation whatsoever. Any Historic I might own, I would immediately change out as well.
The studs come with steel inserts which is not absolutely necessary to change out, but if you aredoing al the work you describe on your Historic,the steel is superior in his bushings, compared to Gibsons. Also steel bridge posts, are recommended, the adjustment wheels are not so critical.I would post you the links at the moment, but I am on my moms Apple computer here in maryland at the moment, which is kind of different and I can's access things I would like or cut and paste easily.
However there are emails of stuff I copied from TLPF that I sent to NY Chief that I could forward to you.
I cannot stress enough to do it as soon as possible, as Pigtail only makes so many parts at a time and I waited a good 4-5 months to get my stuff, but I would have paid twice what the parts cost, as the quality is that great. Contact BCR Greg and mention Dave from Phoenix (yngwie308) from LPF recommended you.
I will try and forward the stuff I sent to Mike Chieffo, if your email I can access here.
Thanks for your inguiry
I see you have no email listed shakti, send me your info to:
davidtalkin@yahoo.com and when I return I will send you everything you could want, but I have never recommended any product so incredible as these Pigtail parts!!
yngwie308 :D :D
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shakti

Post by shakti » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:44 am

Hi Dave,

thanks for that reply. Wow, you really do love that stuff, don't you! :lol: But you got me convinced. I've only heard good stuff about them.

I am going to get a complete set for my LP, maybe not fit new bushings as that would require some more involved work. I know they have to be cut to fit Historic bushings though. I think I'll go for a zinc bridge with brass saddles, though.

Lastly on the steel bridge posts - Historics and original bursts have brass posts, and they're not inserted very deep into the top. I know some people on the LPF have had great resukts with steel posts inserted much further into the body, but I'm kind of anal about having mine as close to an original burst, so I may sit that one out. Have you put steel bridge posts on yours? I would imagine between the Pigtail tailpiece, steel studs, aluminum bridge and steel bridge posts, the guitar would virtually go "PING" as soon as you touch it...? :?

redozzman

Post by redozzman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:30 am

I have a question regarding your tailpiece, I do not frequent the Les paul forum but perhaps you can answer my question. Do you get any benefit from bringing the strings over the top of a tailpiece as apposed to the way you have yours strung. Ive heard that the steeper angle gives better sustain,but Ive also herd that bringing the strings over the top ads more sustain, what the concensus on the LP Forum. Im sure that great guitar has all the sustain one could want but seeing those upclose pictures sparked that question.

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:23 pm

redozzman, you are referring to top-wrapping and some swear by it including the Rev Billy Gibbons.Look at my recent JB Sunburst photo and you will see a top wrapped tailpiece, but Jeff is using a compensated tailpiece, so he almost needed too.
It is supposed to reduce the angle of the strings from the bridge to the tailpiece, thus making bends easier. But a lot of people put the stoptail down as close to the body as possible, thus increasing the angle over the bridge saddle, so it is personal preference.
Let me say this, the 1958 Goldtop which I have played and personally handled extensively this weekend, the ABR-1 bridge, the bridge saddles were loose and had no wire retainer. the guitar still sounded amazing, but boy was I tempted to whip a zinc/brass bridge nickel plated Pigtail on that badboy.
So a higher recomendation I cannot give, Pigtails absolutely rock and I would replace an original '50's piece in a heartbeat, for playing purposes!
yngwie308

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:07 am

Stew mac advertises a pigtail in the new cat. IS this the same pigtail?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_ta ... ridge.html
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:26 pm

No Mike, it may be made by Pigtail, but it is an adjustable stoptail with built in bridge saddles that you are showing me.
This absolutely is the wrong thing to get!!!!!!
Look back at the link when I posted the side by side with the Vintage, Historic and Pigtail, next to each other.
I would strongly recommend getting them from BCR Music and Sound, in Pittsburg, Pa. Talk to Greg, tell him you were sent by a guy on the LPF.
Mike you want the wraptail stop tailpiece and steel studs.
The wraptail tailpiece has no sort of intonation compensation built in, just like the originals.
Tell him what guitar you are putting it on, ect.
The Pigtail lightweight aluminum tailpiece has the slight ridge which is 100% vintage correct and Steve at Pigtail has gone to great lengths to accurately replicate the original vintage piece.
Like I say, I would whip his stoptail on a '58 or '59 Burst in a heartbeat, they are that good, if i never recommend anything else, I recommend Pigtail parts, Analogman and metro amps!!
Iwill call BCR Greg for you as I am on the east coast and let you know Mike!
yngwie308
P.S. 100% necessary to get the steel studs as well, they come with bushings, which some use , as they are of higher quality than the Gibson part, but most leave the bushings in and juat use the studs.
Tell Greg what guitar you are using them in and he will tell you about the length, ect. I think with Historic type guitars, there are shorter stud requirements or something.

gretsch64

Re: Pigtails

Post by gretsch64 » Mon May 09, 2011 4:11 pm

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to know what material is suggested for a vintage 1959 ES-355 with a Bigsby tailpiece? Aluminum, or Zinc?

Thx!

Mars Hall

Post by Mars Hall » Thu May 12, 2011 7:59 am

gretsch64 wrote:Hey Everyone,

I wanted to know what material is suggested for a vintage 1959 ES-355 with a Bigsby tailpiece? Aluminum, or Zinc?

Thx!
Should be Aluminum, my 63 ES345 has aluminum.
"You just slide a bottle up and down til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it til you've got it down." Duane Allman

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:10 am

gretsch64 wrote:Hey Everyone,

Thx!
gretsch64, what part are you describing, the bridge??
The late Steve Rosen creator of Pigtail, made the completely aluminum ABR-1 as a special tweak, Gibson never produced such an animal back in the day or in modern times.
I would say zinc as well.
Here is my tribute article to the late great Steve Rosen, I believe BCR Greg has helped Steve's widow to carry on the great business, although he ofttimes comes off as a gruff individual, in fact one of his bands is call "Grumpy Old Men" :lol: , in fact Greg has a very big heart and does some great things for his fellow musicians and has built up some killer guitars in his day
http://daveonrock.com/?paged=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yngwie308