2009 59' 50TH GIBSON LES PAUL

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

lcampz
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: 2009 59' 50TH GIBSON LES PAUL

Post by lcampz » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:57 am

electricskychurch (cool name by the way)... no worries, I wasn't getting hot :lol: And, you raise a whole bunch of interesting points.

cfljames... no worries, either... it's all good ...but... (dontcha hate that)... I only ask because you said it:
cfljames wrote:A piece of wood ?
You hit the nail on the head. That's what has a lot of people up in arms and pissed or simply just continually asking the question. How much for a piece of wood? Yes, it's a nice piece of wood; but, is it art or an instrument. Maybe, it's both. For those who see it that way then no cost is too high. Depends on your own logic. I think of it like Eddie Murphy used to say... "...ain't NO p---y worth a million dollars!!" :lol: :lol: I'll kicked off the forum for that one... ...but you'll be around for a while. :lol: :lol:

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:41 am

cfljames wrote:Fillmore East I am happy with my guitar,why are you so angry??? Did you really think I would not respond after what you posted honestly??? I don't really care and at all not interested in seeing who can insult each other and piss on the reputation of myself or this forum,you can continue to but you will be posting to the beat of you own drum or demise.The bottom line is that I did not get to the point in my life were I am able to buy guitars like this by taking abuse from people,nor am I going to start now! So if we have different values in the future I would probably pass on the abuse and save yourself,myself,the administrators and other forum members your unprofessional posting ???
Look for sound clips in the future:lol:
Hey, James, I didnt intend to inflame you like that. Your initial comment to me (quote: "you're misinformed to say the least :roll: ") seemed to be the very thing you're accusing ME of, so I responded in kind.
If you feel that an apology is necessary, then please accept mine.
Lets both get off the attack/defend posture and end it now before it gets out of hand, agreed?
We had a nice discussion in the Non Marshall thread, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Fill.

cfljames

Post by cfljames » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:59 am

fillmore nyc wrote:
cfljames wrote:Fillmore East I am happy with my guitar,why are you so angry??? Did you really think I would not respond after what you posted honestly??? I don't really care and at all not interested in seeing who can insult each other and piss on the reputation of myself or this forum,you can continue to but you will be posting to the beat of you own drum or demise.The bottom line is that I did not get to the point in my life were I am able to buy guitars like this by taking abuse from people,nor am I going to start now! So if we have different values in the future I would probably pass on the abuse and save yourself,myself,the administrators and other forum members your unprofessional posting ???
Look for sound clips in the future:lol:
Hey, James, I didnt intend to inflame you like that. Your initial comment to me (quote: "you're misinformed to say the least :roll: ") seemed to be the very thing you're accusing ME of, so I responded in kind.
If you feel that an apology is necessary, then please accept mine.
Lets both get off the attack/defend posture and end it now before it gets out of hand, agreed?
We had a nice discussion in the Non Marshall thread, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Fill.
Its a cool,and your right,what the hell are we doing?And you don't need to apologize either although appreciated.That's why this forum continues to outshine them all,and I would not want to be the two guys that tarnished it over something like a guitar which makes us both look foolish.
Peace my friend 8)
Current :
MARSHALL 1959HW TO 67/68 SUPERBASS
DIAZ CD100 HEAD
DIAZ 4X12/V30/4X12 ANGLE W/GREENBACKS
MARSHALL 4X12 W/CERWIN VEGA ER123 & GH30-H

Bunnest

Post by Bunnest » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:15 pm

I dunno, I am looking to spend under $3k for a 70s les paul. The ones I have tried are, again, hit or miss, but some just smoke! and I love my 200x '68 reissue custom, but I did replace pickups, caps, pots, leveled frets.....but it rips now!
68 Marshall JMP 100 Plexi
69 Marshall JMP 100 Plexi
71 Marshall JMP 100 Metalface
66 BF Fender Pro Reverb
67 BF Fender Super Reverb

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:23 pm

Yes that's what's great about here, that we can forgive and forget..for the most part!
When we get enthused and passionate about gear and our opinion of things, it is easy to say one or two words in a certain place, that the other person totally takes in the wrong way.
It doesn't matter how well you write, either..it happens.
I know Ralph has the feeling of being twisted on the purchase of his JW Firebird (1 of only 100) and it is sadly true that the modern day Gibson are mostly living off their glory years, ect. I personally love the McCarty era and when he left the helm, it went slowly downhill. Same for Marshall, for me post 1974, Marshall changed and not for the better, yet according to their advertising, you'd never know it.
There was a reason those guys stayed back in Kalamazoo, not just the geography, when the move to Nashville took place.
For me I am lucky to have the best Gibsons ever made post the move to Tennessee and they were made by Heritage!
Having met Tom Murphy and Edwin Wilson back in 1993, it revealed volumes about the Henry era Gibson, if you read between the words.
That these larger American guitar companies have become parodies of themselves is sad, but what was once good, is still good (vintage) and sure Historics may be awesome in their own right, but I have never desired any of them, other than the JB Oxblood, which was more of a production Custom Shop guitar.
The 1959 Les Paul is an iconic guitar that's for sure, it's just this closer every year specs of the Historics is such an obvious marketing ploy that it's sad.
Any good luthier can make a closer replica of a Les Paul, that has been proven, so good luck to them, they won't get my money anytime soon though :|
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:05 pm

yngwie308 wrote:Yes that's what's great about here, that we can forgive and forget..for the most part!
When we get enthused and passionate about gear and our opinion of things, it is easy to say one or two words in a certain place, that the other person totally takes in the wrong way.
It doesn't matter how well you write, either..it happens.
yngwie308
Very well said and very well received, Dave. Thank you for that... I couldnt agree more.
Unfortunately, the "human condition" seems to dictate that we constantly "posture up" for battle, only to find out that our lashings have found an innocent target. Then we spend countless words and hours trying to explain away our reasons for acting inappropriately. It would be all so unnecessary if we put ourselves in anothers shoes for a sec... guilty as charged, Im afraid.
Sometimes, for all our supposed cultural sophistication, I fear that deep down, we're little more than Platinum card wielding, Porsche driving cave men. Ohhh, the humanity!!!
Its cool though. Forgiveness of ourselves and others is a step in the right direction, as long as its sincere and not a mask designed to hide our dysfunctions.
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

electricskychurch

Post by electricskychurch » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:28 pm

the bloomfield , despite it's quiet expensive as well , looks very nice (at least teh one they show ) but will there be an improvment in tone over the regular ones, i'm not sure.

cfljames

Post by cfljames » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:37 pm

electricskychurch wrote:the bloomfield , despite it's quiet expensive as well , looks very nice (at least teh one they show ) but will there be an improvment in tone over the regular ones, i'm not sure.
I just passed on two of them to chose from and I was extremely let down with what I seen,not in the way of playing but neither were even in the same ballpark as the one seen in Namm.In fact the serial #'s were one digit apart and were a completely different color from each other? The tops were unmatched and it took a hubble telescope to find the flame in either? Not my money this time around,I am glad I snagged the 59 for 09 and did not wait exclusively for these! Maybe the next batch will be nicer,because these sucked overall.
Current :
MARSHALL 1959HW TO 67/68 SUPERBASS
DIAZ CD100 HEAD
DIAZ 4X12/V30/4X12 ANGLE W/GREENBACKS
MARSHALL 4X12 W/CERWIN VEGA ER123 & GH30-H

Froumy

Post by Froumy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:42 pm

I dunno. I'm not even a Les Paul guy, and that pic made me drool. Looks like a piece of art to me.... Nice score cfljames!

electricskychurch

Post by electricskychurch » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:05 am

i can't believe they don't choose don't choose nice tops for the bloomfield !
so, how will they sell it for such price if they are not even nice ! LOL
to bad cause the one on their website is really beautifull .
i love "Superssessions " so much !
one of my fav blues records of all time .
i have a live version of this LP, that is great !

Gaetano

Post by Gaetano » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:46 pm

I'm so jelaous... I'd love to have that guitar, it's stunning :cry:

And, after all, a real les paul is a gibson, period. :lol:
Bring your fair maidens out, for the vikings are coming to pillage. (Robert Plant)

'71 SB to SL
'82 1960a - G12-65

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:10 am

Actually a few guys who had orders on place for 50th Anniversaries, switched their orders to the Bloomfields, which are apparently a very good job from Gibson, especially the first 100 Murphy aged ones, as opposed to the 'factory aged' later ones
http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showt ... p?t=155137" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showt ... p?t=154375" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:38 pm

Check out this one from Mark's Guitar Loft, can't copy the pics, thanks Mark!!
It dosen't even look real..???
http://www.marksguitarloft.com/picBrows ... kburst59-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yngwie308

jbzoso2002

Post by jbzoso2002 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:33 pm

I know, old thread.

Fantastic guitar 1st off, I wish I could afford 1!

I used to piss and moan myself about the outragious prices for Historic LP's
but you know what, if it sells for 6 or 8 or 10k it is worth it because thats what it
sold for.

A year and a half ago I managed to scrape up enough for 2009 R8 (1958 RI LP).

It has all the same changes that all histrics got in 09 and you can tell. I got it
for $2400 in near mint condition + about 1k in upgrades and its worth every penny +.

Mine dont have much flame but thats the way it goes.

Jimmy 8)
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Ted B

Post by Ted B » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:11 pm

Flametops do drive the price northward, but you did well for that price, especially with upgrades.

Unfortunately, I had to spend a little more than that to get a flamey R0. :wink: