Way Cool Performance Snakeskin WDM Tribute Guitar

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Tone Deaf Guitars

Re: Way Cool Performance Snakeskin WDM Tribute Guitar

Post by Tone Deaf Guitars » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:42 am

I think a lot of big name guys use Performance to set their guitars up regardless of who made them. I know Steve Vai has his Ibanez's set up there. Also Warren. I would suggest maybe finding a used neck and having a body made. That's what I did with the scalloped neck. I had Mitch at KnE guitars do a WDM performance body out of ash. It sounds and plays killer. I can't afford a new Performance as they're $3000+. But for less than $500 I built the entire guitar. Not to bad. DiMarzio Pu's, Ping Floyd Rose, Wilkinson EZ lock tuners and the rest of the hardware from Stew Mac. You can get close to a real Performance but without the $3000 price tag. :D
Attachments
ebay pics 214.jpg
ebay pics 214.jpg (39.43 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
ebay pics 209.jpg
ebay pics 209.jpg (43.51 KiB) Viewed 1460 times

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:02 pm

Jeff, the answer from USA Charvels was that Warren had being playing classical guitar at the time and wanted some wider necks at the nut so some 1 3/4" nut width guitars were built, though classical guitars are 1 7/8" or 2" at the nut, but he went back to the more standard widths..
When I lived in Pennsylvania, I was told that Satriani's guitars were set up with calipers, each bridge piece custom modified and the action was super low, unlike any JS signature model sold, I know the Ibanez of Vai and Satriani are super set up, way different than a 'stock' model of their guitars
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tone Deaf Guitars

Post by Tone Deaf Guitars » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:01 am

yngwie308 wrote:Jeff, the answer from USA Charvels was that Warren had being playing classical guitar at the time and wanted some wider necks at the nut so some 1 3/4" nut width guitars were built, though classical guitars are 1 7/8" or 2" at the nut, but he went back to the more standard widths..
When I lived in Pennsylvania, I was told that Satriani's guitars were set up with calipers, each bridge piece custom modified and the action was super low, unlike any JS signature model sold, I know the Ibanez of Vai and Satriani are super set up, way different than a 'stock' model of their guitars
yngwie308
My yellow one has a 1 3/4" neck that is just killer! I love the extra wide neck as I also learned to play classical first. I'm thinking of ordering a 1 7/8" neck from Warmoth. The only problem is Floyd Rose doesn't make a nut that big. I've heard that Vai has his Ibanez's sent to Performance in pieces and the necks and bodies are only rough finished and Kenny does the final fitting of them. By the way, where is Valhala, Az.?

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:32 am

Valhalla, isn't in Arizona, it's a mythical Viking destination for fallen warriors, sort of fitted with my Malmsteen theme.. :? :)
I agree on the wider nut though 1 7/8" is wide enough for me on an electric!
yngwie308
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SteveAdler
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by SteveAdler » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:23 am

Hamer Californian Snakeskin
Attachments
snake.JPG
snake.JPG (124.22 KiB) Viewed 1334 times