Attachments
my58tbkscroped.JPG
my58tbkscroped.JPG (102.13 KiB) Viewed 5146 times
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Ydna
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: My 2009 58 RI is all done!

Post by Ydna » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:37 pm

Now that's a beautiful guitar. I still await the day I own a Les Paul.
~Current Amps~
1. 1963 Sano Supersonic
2. 1990s Fender Dual Showman
3.JTM45/100 Build

~Future Amps~
1. 69 Superlead
2. Lots of Metropoulos amps

jbzoso2002

Post by jbzoso2002 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:22 pm

Thanks very much!

1 Year ago I didnt think I would ever have another Gibson.

So you never Know.

Jimmy 8)

Gaetano

Post by Gaetano » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:13 pm

A lot of money on upgrades. Nice Axe, but i would have invested them on a flametop, just my .02 of course :wink:
Bring your fair maidens out, for the vikings are coming to pillage. (Robert Plant)

'71 SB to SL
'82 1960a - G12-65

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:09 pm

Gaetano wrote:A lot of money on upgrades. Nice Axe, but i would have invested them on a flametop, just my .02 of course :wink:
SHOOT, Don't You diss that man's "more than" Plain Top, Gaetano! :evil: So, you'd spend the money on a big city hooker, but not on a sweet country girl? :lol:

Actually, that is a FINE TOP on that R8, with just enough "play" in the grain variation to make it NOT a Plain Top. See just to the right of the pickguard, to the left, or just above the bridge pup, atop the lower bout (arm rest area), and at the join just aft of the tailpiece. Hell, if you look close enough at the lame jpeg (jpegs ARE lame, not the photographer) you can even see more "play" on the horn, and all along the lower bout below the controls. And if you look the hardest, you can see a million fine burls throughout.

Nice Fucking Top, jbzoso2002, and the best capture of it I've seen since you bought it. It's very hard to capture everything on these tops. Really shows a lot more of what's going on with that wood. I see more of the radiance than the actual grain, but it looks like nice flat sawn with a slight bit of quarter sawn in the join area. I think that's how most of them R8s go.

You should be proud, and set for life. :D
Cheers and beers,
dave

Mars Hall

Post by Mars Hall » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:15 am

somethin'else wrote:
Gaetano wrote:A lot of money on upgrades. Nice Axe, but i would have invested them on a flametop, just my .02 of course :wink:
SHOOT, Don't You diss that man's "more than" Plain Top, Gaetano! :evil: So, you'd spend the money on a big city hooker, but not on a sweet country girl? :lol:

Actually, that is a FINE TOP on that R8, with just enough "play" in the grain variation to make it NOT a Plain Top. See just to the right of the pickguard, to the left, or just above the bridge pup, atop the lower bout (arm rest area), and at the join just aft of the tailpiece. Hell, if you look close enough at the lame jpeg (jpegs ARE lame, not the photographer) you can even see more "play" on the horn, and all along the lower bout below the controls. And if you look the hardest, you can see a million fine burls throughout.

Nice Fucking Top, jbzoso2002, and the best capture of it I've seen since you bought it. It's very hard to capture everything on these tops. Really shows a lot more of what's going on with that wood. I see more of the radiance than the actual grain, but it looks like nice flat sawn with a slight bit of quarter sawn in the join area. I think that's how most of them R8s go.

You should be proud, and set for life. :D
Cheers and beers,
+1

Very well said. I've seen the guitar in person and yes the photo does bring out it's best. It's hard to justify the price for some flame, it's the same reason I have an R7. Then you have all of these beautiful flamey tops showing up under the gold of an R7, a lot of them with no noticable blems. All of these upgrades he would have performed on an R9 anyway. 8) Not to mention, Jimmy can make that R8 talk, scream, cry and wail. :mrgreen:
"You just slide a bottle up and down til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it til you've got it down." Duane Allman

jbzoso2002

Post by jbzoso2002 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:22 am

Thanks fella's, Hi Jerry!

I wanted a flame top but could not justify an extra $2000
for the same guitar. R8's and R9's are the exact same guitar
except for the flame and neck thickness.

Jimmy 8)

Gaetano

Post by Gaetano » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:50 pm

Calm down guys, that was just my opinion!

Moreover a flametop is not only an R9, there are great flametop R8s and chambered R8 that sound great and don't cost as much as them.

Now they've put out flametop R7s, they have great flametops and cost about 4k new instead of R9s that cost 6k.

And another time: Great guitar! I'm just more into flametops, but its just my opinion!
Bring your fair maidens out, for the vikings are coming to pillage. (Robert Plant)

'71 SB to SL
'82 1960a - G12-65

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:36 pm

If it makes ya feel better I have a '05 '57RI Gold Top that was painted over with black striaght from the factory.
Cool as hell when you see it in the light !
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:49 pm

Gaetano wrote:Calm down guys, that was just my opinion!...
And another time: Great guitar! I'm just more into flametops, but its just my opinion!
I think it was me who got a bit too impassioned 'bout it! :lol: I was just razzin' you, Gaetano, all in good fun. :P I saw a Terry Kilgore/Metro/65Amps at some amp show... This One... where Terry actually mentions "you know, the flame tops sound better". So, I dig the flame prefs too, just 'cause the man said it! :lol: That vid is HILARIOUS, and full of golden nuggets from the Tramp! You have to be fast to dig 'em out, though.

Also, I just got my R8 almost two years ago, and I know that for folks who don't have a Historic, it can seem like a mountain to attain. Anyway, All the best, G. :)
JimiJames wrote:If it makes ya feel better I have a '05 '57RI Gold Top that was painted over with black striaght from the factory.
Cool as hell when you see it in the light !
Now that sounds Boss!

I had a '77 LP Custom that the black had been removed, and it was the freakiest orange. Plain top, but that color, man!
dave

Mars Hall

Post by Mars Hall » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:24 pm

Gaetano wrote:And another time: Great guitar! I'm just more into flametops, but its just my opinion!
No one's getting excited, we're cool. 8) If I had the extra cash at the time, I would have an R9 instead of the R7, no doubt. Eventually I will have one, as well.

My only point is, Gibson really gouges ya for something they are willing to paint over and sell for $2000 less. When I do buy one, it will be used, I won't give Gibson the satisfaction of gouging me. Gouging the guy before me is ok. :lol:
"You just slide a bottle up and down til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it til you've got it down." Duane Allman

jbzoso2002

Post by jbzoso2002 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:48 pm

First of all no hard feelings at all!

I wanted a flame top super bad but just put of my price range.

I would have done all the upgrades if it were flame or not so im money ahead.

I have about $3400 in this guitar right now.

To buy a 09 or 10 R9 its min $4300 unless you get real lucky.

This guitar plays so good Im never selling it, Ill be buried with it, its that good!!!!

Gibson still makes great guitars.

Jimmy 8)

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:59 pm

Although it came with BB's 1&2 my upgrades were ThroBak SLE-101 LTD's with aged covers and added a TonePro's bridge system. That's all it needed... I'll be buried with this Louisville Slugger as well !

Oh... This was a run of three from Make'n Music. Owner and mastermind Teddy Gordon special ordered these from the Custom Shop so they were exclusive to the store.
I remember walkin' in and immediately focused on them. I was fortunate to be there at the right time and had my pick of the lot. Let me tell youz, it was like Goldilocks and the Three Bears. At 8.6 lbs. well....perfection !

BTW Rumor has it they were nicknamed Blackbird's by the Japanese. (unlike the black Firebird) I've seen some '58's (blacktops) but not the same...
The guitar is in my sig but there's no way you can see the sparklies...just more so in the sunlight...
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Mars Hall

Post by Mars Hall » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:00 am

JimiJames wrote:Oh... This was a run of three from Make'n Music. Owner and mastermind Teddy Gordon special ordered these from the Custom Shop so they were exclusive to the store.
Make'n Music is where I bought my R7, the OP was with me when I bought it. They had 6 R7's to choose from and I played all of them. Wouldn't you know, I bought the first one I piccked up. Could of been out of there in 15 minutes instead of an hour. :lol: Also purchased a 74 Marshall 100 watt head and 4x12 cabinet, that I wish I still had. They have always taken good care of me, great place to shop.

Gaetano

Post by Gaetano » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:43 am

somethin'else wrote:
Gaetano wrote:Calm down guys, that was just my opinion!...
I think it was me who got a bit too impassioned 'bout it! :lol: I was just razzin' you, Gaetano, all in good fun. :P I saw a Terry Kilgore/Metro/65Amps at some amp show... This One... where Terry actually mentions "you know, the flame tops sound better". So, I dig the flame prefs too, just 'cause the man said it! :lol: That vid is HILARIOUS, and full of golden nuggets from the Tramp! You have to be fast to dig 'em out, though.

Also, I just got my R8 almost two years ago, and I know that for folks who don't have a Historic, it can seem like a mountain to attain. Anyway, All the best, G. :)
Well, I know what you mean SE!

I'm about to get the degree and become a MD. I will get a historic from my parents and it costed me 6 years of hard study.

These guitars cost a lot, wth. But they're really worth it. I've got my eyes on a flametop R7, washed washed cherry. The mopst beautiful historic that my eyes have ever seen. I hope to pose my hands on it :cry:

'71 SB to SL
'82 1960a - G12-65