There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

mr ohmite
Just the numbers in order: 7

best first guitar/amp for a newbie

Post by mr ohmite » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:37 am

hi guys
i am setting up a friend who wants to learn how to play guitar with a new rig

i am going to get him an epiphone les paul copy and a vox mini 3 portable powered amp

do you think this is a good choice?
they both seem rock solid and well built/utilitarian and cheap

thanks in advance for your opinions and input ;-)

fillmore nyc

Re: best first guitar/amp for a newbie

Post by fillmore nyc » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:19 pm

mr ohmite wrote:hi guys
i am setting up a friend who wants to learn how to play guitar with a new rig

i am going to get him an epiphone les paul copy and a vox mini 3 portable powered amp

do you think this is a good choice?
they both seem rock solid and well built/utilitarian and cheap

thanks in advance for your opinions and input ;-)
It sounds like a decent choice, and remember... for the most part, newb's dont have the ears to know good guitar tone from bad when its right in front of them (as opposed to a recorded piece), AND its always a crap shoot as to whether they're gonna stay with guitar playing, so a "decent" small rig is always a good first choice.
IMO, the worst thing a newb can do is buy a full-pop expensive set-up for their first rig. They dont really know whether it sounds great or not, they MIGHT do something like switch off to an acoustic guitar permanently (like a friend of mine did), and if they decide guitar in general is just not for them, they will probably lose a substantial investment which is not the case with less expensive equipment.
Thats the reason "beginner" guitars and amps exist at all.
:what:

stump

Post by stump » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:05 pm

I think those are a good choice for a beginner rig. I got my son, when he was 10, a Squier Strat pack. The Strat is hum with two singles, a Frontman 15 amp, picks, cord, tuner, gig bag and a video/book for $229. When my other son turned 10 we got him the Ibanez version. The Squier rig has a better amp and tuner. I think that most online stores have these packages with a variety of gear included. They are typically cheaper than purchasing the items individually.

Macmusic

Post by Macmusic » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:20 pm

yeah, that sounds pretty decent you should try something like a Rollins Guitar brand. I personally own them. I've had them for a while now and I don't regret purchasing them at all. Rollins have plenty of type of guitar you would like. I have the ROL971 "LEO"

I honestly bought it because of its color. Its my fav lol
Along with ROl15 guitar amp
- 6 1/2" speaker
- Volume and Gain control
- Treble, middle and bass controls
- Headphone jack
- Frequency Range: 90-8KHz
- Input Impedance: 220k Ohms
- Dimensions: 305x215x40mm

i got it on this EBay store http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROFESSIONAL-AM ... 310wt_1031" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
ROL971.jpg
ROL971.jpg (67.39 KiB) Viewed 1535 times