Cleaning and Polishing 101

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

somethin'else
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Cleaning and Polishing 101

Post by somethin'else » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:50 pm

I been using Stelling Glyde-Coat for years now on my (R8) body, and got turned on to it when I had my Gretsch Nitro-finished Brian Setzer. All those Old Tyme banjo and fiddle players use it. It's phenomenal. Word of warning: Hold onto your guitar afterwards, or it'll shoot out of your hands like an oiled up bikini-clad wrestler after 10 shots of tequila! (Though it leaves "no oily residue") 8)
dave

T.J.Fuller
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by T.J.Fuller » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:25 pm

Meguiars makes a Mirror Glaze - Clear Plastic Polish and Fine Stratch remover #10

No Silicone _ No Wax

Some of the top luthiers use this , check out Luthiers Mercantile Exchange website.

I got turned onto this a year ago - great product !

You can find this for 8.99 at some automotive stores - fixes scratched cd's pretty good too!
"In search of World Class Tone"
Clips - http://www.soundclick.com/tjfuller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/tjfullerproject" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:55 pm

Smith's is the stuff I was thnking off earlier. Good stuff.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

basile865
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by basile865 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:41 pm

The Dunlop 65 cleaning "system" is really great. Its a pack of like 5 small bottles that have various cleaning agents in them. One that really cuts all the grease and grime away, then a spray polish, then carnuba wax, fretboard conditioner, and string cleaner. The degreasing spray is great, and the fretboard conditioner slicks up the neck nicely. I rarely wax the guitar but every now and then I take the strings off and give it a good cleaning - I have very acidic sweat and it puts a wear and tear on the components if you dont keep it clean after a couple gigs.

Sam Ash used to sell a bottle of this stuff called the Brite stuff or something like that. It was orange/tan colored polish. It always really shined up the frets and body nice. If all else fails windex!