My opinion on the DSD

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

SteadyEddie
Just the numbers in order: 7

My opinion on the DSD

Post by SteadyEddie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:22 pm

Bought one, installed it in my strat ... I had, and still have, a new Bill Lawrence L90XL.
The Lawrence is a high output pickup with a lot of clarity and harmonics. It's a rail-type pickup. They were originally made in the 70s and were replaced by the L500 series, guys like Dimebag Darrell and Nuno Bettencourt were notable players who used L500s in recent years... but the L90 has a wider magnetic "window." Apparently the thing holding the L90 series back was its unorthodox look... Kind of like an EMG with blades. The L500 series was more traditional looking, it was still rails but had identifiable "coils" so it looked like a humbucker. But it made the magnetic window narrower, and the sound was somewhat changed.
So I stuck the DSD in my strat... which has a 250k pot. The Lawrence sounds good with the 250k pot because of its clarity and I like that pot also because I also have some single coils in that strat.
First impressions of the DSD were that it had considerably less highs than the Lawrence. Sounded kind of dull and dark in comparison. Output was similar.
Now, if I had a 500k pot in the strat, I wonder if the DSD would have sounded better ... but then I'm afraid my singles would have sounded shrill.
I dunno. I can say I still love the Lawrence pickup. If you want a high output pickup from the 70s that sounds fantastic driving a plexi amp, you can't go wrong with this pickup. It's got great sensitivity and sustain but it is very articulate.

darkbluemurder

Re: My opinion on the DSD

Post by darkbluemurder » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:01 am

What is a DSD - DiMarzio Super Distortion?

Cheers Stephan

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:01 pm

darkbluemurder wrote:What is a DSD - DiMarzio Super Distortion?

Cheers Stephan
yup

I used a 250k,300k & 500k but, not in your config.
IMO the DSD wants to see a 500k and if you're concerned about the singles there's always a cap option.
I currently use a 300k CTS Audio taper.

I like Bill's stuff and his contributions to music. He help design the Samarium Cobalt Noiseless Pickup for Fender.
[Referencing Fender's Frontline mag] In a comparison sound test with 50's single coils, the experts either couldn't tell them apart or more often favored the Samarium's thinking that they were the 50's. Hype or not they are nice sounding pup's.

I really miss his Stainless Steel strings :cry:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Mars Hall

Post by Mars Hall » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:23 am

SteadyEddie wrote:So I stuck the DSD in my strat... which has a 250k pot. The Lawrence sounds good with the 250k pot because of its clarity and I like that pot also because I also have some single coils in that strat.
First impressions of the DSD were that it had considerably less highs than the Lawrence. Sounded kind of dull and dark in comparison. Output was similar.
Now, if I had a 500k pot in the strat, I wonder if the DSD would have sounded better ... but then I'm afraid my singles would have sounded shrill.
Interesting, I have a Tele that I've installed a stacked HB in the neck and the SD Lil' 59er in the bridge. I've always thought the guitar should have more gain than it does. Maybe the 500k pots are the missing link, it never dawned on me until your post. Thanks very much. :thumbsup:
"You just slide a bottle up and down til what you want out of it comes out. You just slide away at it til you've got it down." Duane Allman