Fender Malmsteen Strat with Seymour Duncan YJM pickups

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

RisingForce
Just the numbers in order: 7

Fender Malmsteen Strat with Seymour Duncan YJM pickups

Post by RisingForce » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:46 am

Hi,

Some interesting news.... Fender will ship the Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster models with the new Seymour Duncan YJM Fury STKS10 pickups when they run out of the DiMarzio’s according to Ed Treat @ Consumer Relations Fender Musical Instruments....

The new Seymour Duncan pickups are slightly hotter and more "Fender-like" compared to the DiMarzio's => sound is close to Yngwie's early records No Parole from Rock'n Roll and Rising Force....

/RisingForce... :)
Fender Malmsteen Guitars
Bumbox Lead 1-Vintage Marshall MKII Head
Marshall Cabinets, DOD250, BOSS Roland Chorus Ensemble CE-1
... :)

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Fender Malmsteen Strat with Seymour Duncan YJM pickups

Post by JimiJames » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:25 am

Interesting ...
Would like to hear some sound samples of those...
Never liked DiMarzio HS3's or YJM's for that matter. (HS1&2 have more of the "Fender-like" tone.) Never understood his appreciation for those. I guess he makes it work with his MKII's
DiMarzio's highest DC resistance stack. To me it's like the otherside of where he should be.

On another note... Marshall's YJM, great sounding new head IMO. Wonder what bottom he matched it up with ?
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

RisingForce

Post by RisingForce » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:15 am

JimiJames wrote:On another note... Marshall's YJM, great sounding new head IMO. Wonder what bottom he matched it up with ?
The Marshall YJM100 is a great amp and it is matched with a straight 4x12 1960 cabinet fitted with Celestion GT-75W speakers...
Fender Malmsteen Guitars

stef

Post by stef » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:06 pm

Rising Force is HS-3 bridge and neck..YJM never used HS-2 - That was his answer in the SDUGF when asked about HS-2 and pikups used for his early work....
I'd like to hear a clip with better sounding pickups for RF than HS-3 (YJM)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZpuBYgTD8U[/youtube]

stef

Post by stef » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:13 pm

JimiJames wrote:Interesting ...

On another note... Marshall's YJM, great sounding new head IMO. Wonder what bottom he matched it up with ?
Who cares. GB's sound right for his early tone (the same goes for HS-3 and jmp mk II heads...)
Listen to this clip
70Strathead wrote:here's a clip i recorded/posted a while ago that showcases the 2001 YJM strat > original 77' grey DOD through a old NMV Marshall 50w with greenbacks cranked to 10 with hotplate set at 8 ohm. I want to get a back up so I may take my door stop ( YJM 308 pedal) and get it modded as a backup. This pedal is gold!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=6343845" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RisingForce

Post by RisingForce » Thu May 05, 2011 3:33 am

stef wrote: Rising Force is HS-3 bridge and neck..YJM never used HS-2 - That was his answer in the SDUGF when asked about HS-2 and pikups used for his early work....
I'd like to hear a clip with better sounding pickups for RF than HS-3 (YJM)
Yes, Yngwie never used HS-2 but he also never used YJM/HS-4 pickups, at least not live on stage. Just take a look at any photo showing Yngwie's guitars used on stage... HS-3 and YJM/HS-4 have different magnet staggering (e.g. B-string) => HS-3 pickups only...
For his early recordings including everything pre 1984 he used Fender stock pickups and DiMarzio FS-1s...
Fender Malmsteen Guitars

stef

Post by stef » Thu May 05, 2011 1:29 pm

That's why I went for a pair of HS-3's for my strat...Jon Norum used the same combination (70's strat with Hs-3 bridge and neck) back in 1986....
Here's a clip (1984) with his black strat - check out the stock nut, frets and fretboard...I think the pickups are hs-3's - I can't hear the hum

the same thing with the white (evil eye) strat: stock frets, white nut and no scallops (his playing and vibrato is unchanged)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07gZRzjqRtE[/youtube]

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Thu May 05, 2011 7:05 pm

stef wrote:...the same thing with the white (evil eye) strat: stock frets, white nut and no scallops (his playing and vibrato is unchanged)
IMO his knowledge and appreciation (and technique) for Stratocaster's go beyond scallop for sure but, I suspect that guitar's fate or appreciation was part of the show. :P
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

RisingForce

Post by RisingForce » Fri May 06, 2011 2:06 am

stef wrote:That's why I went for a pair of HS-3's for my strat...Jon Norum used the same combination (70's strat with Hs-3 bridge and neck) back in 1986....
Correct, but according to several published interviews with John Norum he also used FS-1 (bridge) with HS-3 (neck) combination in his olympic white strat, e.g. for the final countdown record as the HS-3 had too weak output for his taste... FS-1 is much fatter for rhythm parts.

more info here... http://www.europetheband.com/forum/view ... ratocaster

Here is the original interview from Swedish guitar magazine fuzz no 9 - 1997 (in swedish) :D
-På mina strator har jag bandat om med jim dunlop 6150 eller gamla gibsonband.Greppbrädan vill jag ha lite planare,radius 9 1/2 gentemot fenders vanliga 7 1/4.Jag byter alltid ut stämskruvarna mot schallermekanik.Stämskruvarna betyder mycket för ljudet.,det låter tyngre med bättre sustain och strängarna löper bättre genom sadeln eftersom schaller har högre strängfäste.(Norum har en deal med DÀngelico i USA och kör alltid med deras strängar på sina gitarrer).På min gamla olympic white strata från 1965 som jag ägt sedan 1982 kör jag med Dimarzio FS1 fat strat och en EMG preamp inbyggd i gitarren,jag har testa med HS3 som Yngwie kör med men dom tycker jag är för svag
Fender Malmsteen Guitars

stef

Post by stef » Fri May 06, 2011 10:00 pm

Yep... They were discussing his 1965 strat and studio...but I was talking about his white 70's (large headstock strat)...This doesn't look like a 1965 strat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDIlkPBuEZ0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had found a youtube clip with Norum discussing his 1986 Live tone and pickups (a pair of Hs-3's...I think)..I'll try to find and post it

It was probably a 1974 strat he still uses
TUESDAY, 16 DECEMBER 2008
// JOHN'S GEAR //
1. Gibson flying V 76, Seymour duncan custom
2. Gibson Les Paul., Custom 80, Seymour duncan George lynch Screemin' demon
3. Gibson Les Paul, standard faded 2007, Sheptone pickups
4. Gibson Les Paul, standard 58, Di Marzio 36th anniversary Paf pickups
5. Gibson Les Paul, 2001 Gary more signature model. Gibson Paf pickups
6. Fender Stratocaster 74, Van Zandt pickups

more 1965 strat info here http://www.norumaniacs.com/multimedia/i ... ws1104.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The favourite Strata
Norum has a dozen electric guitars. The most valuable is the crème coloured Stratocaster from 1965 which he used on TFC. I bought it in 1984 for 8000 kronor. Our light-manager had it at home. I tried it and fell for it immediately. Its an early –65, it was made a couple of months before CBS took over Fender. Its worth something between 50- 60000 kronor today. The only modification I did was to put in Di Marzio’s HS 3 mics in neck and lead position.
I had it on tour with Europe and on my first solo album, it’s the only guitar I use.

Below is part of a October 2000 interview in which he was asked about equipment:

"Which pickup's do you use and in which guitars (if custum made, which ones are the closest to the customs)?

JOHN NORUM:

On Final Countdown I used a rait pedal with a JCM 800 for rhythms + for solos I used Boss Distortion SD-1 + a a Super Boss Overdrive mixed together. On Total Control I used my 65 strat with DiMarzio HS3 pickups + the Boss Overdrive OD-1 - the old one with 2 knobs, and the amp was 73 50-watt Marshall Stock which I still have & use sometimes.

Total control Boss OD-1 setting: Level on full and Drive on 9 o'clock. Final Countdown: I can't really remember but about half way on each level + distortion, not too much.

Michael Jessen: Which pickups/amps did you use back when you recorded Final Countdown and Total Control?

JOHN NORUM: Same as above about the amps. Final Countdown and Total Control pickups: DiMarzio HS 3 + FS 1.

POSTED BY EUROPETHEBAND AT 17:32 http://europethebandblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hnoor0033

Post by hnoor0033 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:20 pm

I guess he makes it work with his MKII's
DiMarzio's highest DC resistance stack. To me it's like the otherside of where he should be.

chrisb

Post by chrisb » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:31 am

Bit conflicting there with John Norum. Hard to tell if he used a HS3 or FS1 in the bridge. The FS1 sounds great though for both Norum and Malmsteen.