"Straighter" tremolo arm for old Fender strats

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

"Straighter" tremolo arm for old Fender strats

Post by garbeaj » Fri May 27, 2011 7:17 pm

Many years ago (24 to be exact) I broke the original tremolo arm for my '68 strat. Any standard replacement tremolo arm works and I kept the original tip and have just used new replacements ever since.

The strange thing is, my original '68 tremolo arm had a much "straighter" angle than the replacement arms and the arms that come in virtually all new Fender strats. There is only a very slight bend in the arm on the original and the newer arms have a much more drastic kink. I have tried bending the new arms in a vice grip and it comes out looking worse.

Does anybody have any idea where I can find one of the old style "straighter" tremolo arms for standard Fender tremolo systems?

spaceace76
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: "Straighter" tremolo arm for old Fender strats

Post by spaceace76 » Fri May 27, 2011 10:36 pm

how about callaham?

http://www.callahamguitars.com/partsstr.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

their trem arms are pretty straight

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Sat May 28, 2011 8:03 am

garbeaj wrote:I have tried bending the new arms in a vice grip and it comes out looking worse.
I dont know if you meant to say vice grip, or you meant a bench vice, but in any event, this kinda thing should be done on a bench vice, with protective vice jaw covers.
In that way, you aren't bending by hand... you put the entire angled area between the vice jaws and let tightening the vice do all the "straightening" work. The arm wont get marred, and you'll have great control over how much angle you take out.

I've used this method with various trem arms many times with no problems at all. I've even used it with my Suzuki Hayabusa's side stand, which is around 1/2" diameter (while heating the metal) and it worked great... the only diff is that while using heat, the vice protective jaws have to be metal, not plastic like you'd use for a trem arm, so I used aluminum angle for that.
:D :D

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Sat May 28, 2011 11:57 am

fillmore nyc wrote:
garbeaj wrote:I have tried bending the new arms in a vice grip and it comes out looking worse.
I dont know if you meant to say vice grip, or you meant a bench vice, but in any event, this kinda thing should be done on a bench vice, with protective vice jaw covers.
In that way, you aren't bending by hand... you put the entire angled area between the vice jaws and let tightening the vice do all the "straightening" work. The arm wont get marred, and you'll have great control over how much angle you take out.

I've used this method with various trem arms many times with no problems at all. I've even used it with my Suzuki Hayabusa's side stand, which is around 1/2" diameter (while heating the metal) and it worked great... the only diff is that while using heat, the vice protective jaws have to be metal, not plastic like you'd use for a trem arm, so I used aluminum angle for that.
:D :D
Thanks for the advice:) The problem is that the chrome finish gets all fucked up from the bending and I can never get it exactly the same as the old ones:(

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Sat May 28, 2011 12:00 pm

spaceace76 wrote:how about callaham?

http://www.callahamguitars.com/partsstr.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

their trem arms are pretty straight
I can't tell if theirs are exactly right, but I will send them an e-mail and see what they say...They seem to know the most about vintage Fender tremolos:)

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun May 29, 2011 4:49 pm

I really wasnt pleased with the 'service' I got from Callaham. That guy comes off like a narcasist/egoed out kind of dude.

The block is the only thing about his tremelo's that are of any TRUE importance.

I asked him to do a simple 'mod' on one of his blocks, and he declined (I was willing to pay a significant upcharge !) He declined, saying that he was "commited" to his design.

I have since taken matters into my own hands. Because of my more 'open minded' approach (without any hesitation to 'borrowing' idea's 8) ), I feel that I have a better grasp and knowledge of the original Fender Tremelo than Callaham, who seems to be "Commited" to a CLOSED MIND :lol: .

Mine stay in tune as well.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Sun May 29, 2011 5:11 pm

well the guy burns any finished guitar if he feels it isn't up to par, so maybe does have a slightly extreme personality :lol:

he does good work though, and supposedly they are a pretty small shop so maybe doing custom work isn't much of an option. in your case i'm not sure why he wouldn't at least TRY to take the money you seem so willing to part with, but again, he might be limited by time or tools or something else.

this isn't necessarily in regards to guitar stuff, but i can never understand when companies make it hard for you to pay them... seems counter intuitive to the whole idea of being in business. don't you want my money? don't you want it ASAP? :shrug:

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun May 29, 2011 8:50 pm

Exactly.

I have a very talented and open minded machinist that I am working with. I've done ALOT of prototyping, and have concluded that the saddles and the block are the MAIN variables. If the saddles are a softer metal, then the block needs to be denser, Vice Versa, etc, That is for the tone/SOUND !

I have alway's loved how a ( patented) Vintage style Fender tremelo sounds, I just DO NOT like the inherent tuning issue's. As an example, I DONT like using the bar to 'Get Back In tune !'.

I'm VERY HAPPY Now !

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:03 am

I looked into getting one of those bridges as well. With his payment option, attitude and my lack of patience for those who make their business seem like they are doing you a favour. I said no thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Vintage-70s-Fender-S ... 2c5b0d2614" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd offer them $20 for one of these. Otherwise put your entire arm between 2 pieces of wood in a bench vise.
12000 Metro Kit

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon May 30, 2011 10:11 am

You said it Shannon, It does seem like he thinks that he is doing the favor.

That guy has the bushing part on his tremelo. This makes the arm NOT get out of your way quick enough. He offers the standard thread as well, at an upcharge I believe.

I think of the Fender tremelo more in the 'Hendrix', Blackmore, Uli Jon Roth, Eddie Van Halen' type of way, which is "USE THE HELL OUT OF IT !"

That dude (Callaham) seems to be WAY too conservative in his playing approach.

This reflects on his product (tremelo).

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Mon May 30, 2011 1:40 pm

vanhalen5150 wrote:I looked into getting one of those bridges as well. With his payment option, attitude and my lack of patience for those who make their business seem like they are doing you a favour. I said no thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Vintage-70s-Fender-S ... 2c5b0d2614" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd offer them $20 for one of these. Otherwise put your entire arm between 2 pieces of wood in a bench vise.
I think these might do the trick! I don't mind paying the extra money...as I said, when you straighten them on your own you will never get the angle right and the chrome finish is ruined!

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:27 pm

Says he has more than 10 of em. Send him a low ball offer and get 2.
12000 Metro Kit

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue May 31, 2011 10:13 am

vanhalen5150 wrote:Says he has more than 10 of em. Send him a low ball offer and get 2.
Good idea...I'll give that a shot. I need 2...one for my VH-1/Fender Clapton strat and one for my '68 strat...
Last edited by garbeaj on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue May 31, 2011 6:30 pm

Just got a reply from Callaham. They said I needed to have a detailed technical drawing with measurements for them to make a custom bar and it would cost $20. If I had the fucking measurements, then I would have the original bar in my hand!

Then, get this, he puts this after the reply:

Callaham: p.s. This offer good for 7 days only.

Give me a fucking break. I'll buy one of the old bars on eBay and be done with it.
Last edited by garbeaj on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

spaceace76

Post by spaceace76 » Tue May 31, 2011 10:35 pm

man callaham really hates the word custom....