the old mighty mite 1300 and the dimarzio super d?

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Marshall SL12301
Just the numbers in order: 7

the old mighty mite 1300 and the dimarzio super d?

Post by Marshall SL12301 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:52 pm

These two have the same exact spec's, was wonderin if anyone has heard both in a similar guitar?
are they really the same or is it just the spec's that are :what:
the MM 1300 was also known as the screamer
R.I.P Mark Abrahamian, You will be remembered!

Tone Slinger

Re: the old mighty mite 1300 and the dimarzio super d?

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:44 am

I hear them as being very similar.

Its simple really, just thinner wire and about double the turns as a paf. This, with that fat ceramic magnet, sort of gives you a 'broader' tone, as well as more gain. I think that the players who think of a DSD or MM as 'dull' or overlly 'bottom' endy, are judging this spec (13.6 is spec, my DSD reads 14.2) by hot ALNICO winds. Those will get dull and 'thubby'.

My DSD is brighter, broader and tighter as compared to my lower output paf 'knock offs', but is a little more of a 'vacuum' type closed attack. This is only (closed aspect) when comparing to alnico. Very hard to describe.

I hear a definite 'Lynch on Back For The Attack' type of ceramic bite , push and crunch on Ed's '77 era stuff (including that first album). Lynch obviously had been using the Duncan Distortion since it's inception.

I also hear a MAJOR amount of this SAME tone aspect in certain old Ace Frehley (Alive 2) and Rhoads (definately the Mr. Crowley live Picture disc, 'Mr. Crowley' (Polka dot V DSD) 'You Said it All' (Les Paul 'T-Tops) and 'Suicide Solution' (Polka dot V DSD).

Those were the 3 tunes on it and I can HEAR that same attack.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Marshall SL12301

Post by Marshall SL12301 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:43 pm

TS that definitely answered my question, i couldn't see how two pu's that use the same wire,turns,magnet would be all that different from one another, some cork sniffers will disagree with this but two DSD and MM are one in the same.
I just never got to try them both in the same guitar.
the duncan distortion is a killer for that old lynch tone without a doubt.i have one of those in a alder charvel and it screams old lynch all day! :mrgreen:

Ted B

Post by Ted B » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:19 pm

The MM is said to have been created by Duncan as a copy of a Super Distortion, so similarities (physical, tonal, etc.) would be both intentional and expected.

Marshall SL12301

Post by Marshall SL12301 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:57 pm

Ted B wrote:The MM is said to have been created by Duncan as a copy of a Super Distortion, so similarities (physical, tonal, etc.) would be both intentional and expected.
I heard was winding stuff for MM as well. never has been confirmed which MM's