What's your favorite P90?

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

SB Monster

What's your favorite P90?

Post by SB Monster » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:44 am

I'd love to know what your favorite P90's are? I'm on the look out for a replacement set. I've got Lollars but I reckon they're too hot. What can anyone recommend as a good vintage type P90?

fillmore nyc
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: What's your favorite P90?

Post by fillmore nyc » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:13 pm

SB Monster wrote:I'd love to know what your favorite P90's are? I'm on the look out for a replacement set. I've got Lollars but I reckon they're too hot. What can anyone recommend as a good vintage type P90?
You must have a pretty hot set of Lollars, cause I thought Lollars were supposed to be vintage??

Anyway, at that point, I would probably go with an underwound set of Fralins, maybe 10-15% underwound for the neck and stock or 5% underwound for the bridge, depending on how un-hot you need them to be.
:what:

darkbluemurder
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by darkbluemurder » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:47 am

Lollar offers underwound P90s, too. But I did not find his regulars to be very hot in terms of output.

Cheers Stephan

SB Monster

Post by SB Monster » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:18 am

I have the regulars. Both pickups just get too forward in the upper mids unless set very low in the guitar. I'd like to try something else other than the lollars, I've tried lollar single coils and they had a similar characteristic, I think it's extra gauss in the magnets to give 'em some cut, but I don't like it.