Help with '58 Guild T100 project?

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Help with '58 Guild T100 project?

Post by NY Chief » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:08 pm

Hey, guys. Came across a fun archtop project. It's a Guild T100B DP '58 vintage. Just the carcass, no electronics or hardware. It's got the "Made In Hoboken" Guild label inside but I can't figure out the headstock. All the research I've done shows these guitars had the standard Guild logo inlay on the headstock. This one is different. Anybody recognize it? You can see the outline of the plate that was there and the three broken off attach screws.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

fillmore nyc
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Help with '58 Guild T100 project?

Post by fillmore nyc » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:17 am

Thats a strange one, Chiefy. I couldnt find one with a plate on the headstock doing a Google image search. In any event, that'll make a rompin' stompin' Rockabilly box when you're done with it... maybe stick some dog-ear P90's in 'er??
:D

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:38 am

If YOU can't find anything, filly.... :(

I knew you would be the first to weigh in, Bro! :thumbsup:

I can't find ANYTHING that remotley resembles that outline. And the broken off screws are HUGE. Probably a one off hack job.
I did find a similar era guit on ebay that had a script "Guild" decal. Any idea where I might one of those? I having no luck on that either. I found the style we know today but not the script.

Oh yeah, filly!! Dog ear P90's for sure. That's what was originally in there. Apparently the "Franz" P90's which suppsoed to sound diff from "regular" P90's. Very rare and sought after I'm finding (accroding to the "Let's Talk Guild" website).

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:36 pm

NY Chief wrote:If YOU can't find anything, filly.... :(

I knew you would be the first to weigh in, Bro! :thumbsup:

I can't find ANYTHING that remotley resembles that outline. And the broken off screws are HUGE. Probably a one off hack job.
I did find a similar era guit on ebay that had a script "Guild" decal. Any idea where I might one of those?
Yeah, that semi-"T" shape outline almost looks like the metal logo on an Epiphone, but like you said... it mighta been a one off hack.
If you work with a Dremel, these would fit the bill:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUILD-LOGO-HEAD ... 1c24d9fdef" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUILD-LOGO-HEAD ... 2a127b0e21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A little wood fill and black lacquer work to clean up the headstock, a tight trace around the logo and some black stick fill (or even ebony dust mixed with wood glue) to fill any gaps that might exist around the logo route, and you're in biz.

The second (abalone) logo looks kinda cheesy to my eyes, but the MOP logo is pretty sweet.
It'll be a 'ting a' beauty with a little elbow grease!!
:thumbsup:

:D

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:10 pm

Already got 'em the "watch" list, filly! :)

I'd like to go with the simple plain decal if I can find one. I need to get it playing first. Going to my guiatr doc on Wed for "consultation"!

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:09 pm

Here's what I'm looking for...

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Tue May 08, 2012 7:49 pm

Dang that's a lovely score Chief! '58 Natural, no less. Predecessor to the Starfire...

Here's an old listing for a '64 that had "2 single coil P90 style pickups". Funny, I've been going around between Dearmond 2ks, TVJones' Dynasonics, or GFS NYIIs for a mutt I plan to start someday soon. The GFS NYII & IIIs look interesting, sorta cross between a Dyna single coil and a P90.

You could probably get someone to make that headstock logo for you. Someone who does the Fender stuff maybe, who can nail the right gold.

That thing is gonna be a Be-Boppin' Honker!

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m27qk ... 1_1280.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dave

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:07 pm

Need help with the pups, fellers.

Thought I could drop in some dog ear P90's but the mounting is way different and I don't want to cannabilize the guitar (yet). And, finding a set of Franz is close to impossible!

Any suggestions for replacements / subsitutes?

Any help greatly appreciated, fellers!

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:36 am

Maybe Vintage Vibe could help you out if you gave him the detailed measurements of your cutouts/mounting needs. :what:

Also, maybe give Curtis Novak a holler. He may be able to make whatever you need. He's repaired tons of those vintage pups, and I saw a thread on the Gretsch Pages where he made a set of Staple pups for someone, but used round poles instead vs the square ones.

Here's a Guild repair on his site.
dave

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Thanks for that heads up, Dave. I did check in with Lindy Fralin.

here's the latest..

Guess I shoulda did more homework before I bought the guitar less electrics. I was unaware the Franz were that different a mounting and so hard to find. This is where I’m at right now. I did by a set of repro covers and a set of GFS Dog Ear P90’s to experiment with. The covers do not fit the P90’s, pole piece spacing way different. I had to open the holes in the covers quite a bit to get them to fit. I took apart the neck pick up, trimmed back the outer edges of the bobbin and had enough room to drill through the baseplate to use the existing mounting holes in the wood of the guitar. The bridge base plate will take a bit more modding to get it to sit right. It should work though. Guess I’ll play it like that until I can find real Franz’.
Jason’s really cool…he replied pretty quickly.

Here’s what he said…

I can make the guts for those but I don't have any pickup covers for them
and there are no aftermarket replacements available- you would have to find
pickup covers at a vintage dealer, also there is a metal plate the pickups
sit on- it will be cheaper if you had those, I can make a substitute but
metal work is all hand done here- there are no routers or special cutters
for that in my shop as I only do that occasionally I can make them to
original specs or I can make the bridge a little hotter so it sounds fatter
than stock+ If you find covers let me know and we can talk about pricing
etc.- figure around $150 each as a ballpark.

Jason

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"