My first LP? Not exactly (MIJ Tokai)

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

BAinFL
Just the numbers in order: 13492

My first LP? Not exactly (MIJ Tokai)

Post by BAinFL » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:09 pm

I recently sold my JMP 2203... a very sad thing, but I'm hoping the proceeds will be put to good use =)

I've always wanted a LP. Been looking at Traditionals at GC for the last few weeks. About $2000 with some 15% coupon deal is the best I could do. Anyway I decided to pull the trigger on - something a bit different...after not being totally amazed by what $2000 would get me... I grabbed this Tokai from a local seller in FL.

http://imgur.com/a/ZrAPA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The best part is, the guitar is virtually in unplayed condition. There's zero signs of use, wear, etc... anywhere on the guitar. If it weren't for the '06 serial number, I would have sworn this was 2012 new production right off the assembly line.

To top it off, there's still funding left to either build a 50 watter or possibly have George do some work on my 12000. Either way this feels like win. Anyone else happily in the MIJ LP clone camp? I know there's plenty of good studio's out there to be had at reasonable prices, but I couldn't be happier with how this particular guitar feels and sounds.
79 Tokai Les Paul Reborn
68 12000
Bray 4550
Scumback M75 PVC 20w 4x12
Scumback BM75 LD 65w 4x12
Celestion G12M-65 Cream 2x12
1960A RR w/ Altec 417-8H

jimmyride

Re: My first LP? Not exactly (MIJ Tokai)

Post by jimmyride » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:36 am

I have a Tokai Silver Star strat from the early 80s (great guitar) but I've never seen a japanese LP in person. Nice guitar you have there! Make some videos with it.

Did J

Post by Did J » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:49 am

I have two Tokai's LP law suite, one is a LS-65 from 1985 and the other one is a LS-150 from the '90's. Those two babies sound awesome and very confortable to play with. I did some upgrades: humbucker's set, '50s wiring and both are equiped with Callaham's ABR-1 and stop-bar. They are extremely well build with attention to the details too.

Congrats for your new LP!!!

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:57 am

I have a Tokai LP copy, it is a recent one - given to me by one of my patients (a guitar playing doc I treated for free) signed by Motorhead :scratch:

It is not bad (made in China) but I dropped in a Bare Knuckles Mule in the bridge a BB2 in the neck, push/push coil tap CTS pots, decent bridge and PIO caps with 50's wiring. Then had Martyn Booth do a set up.

His comment was (bear in mind he worked for Gibson in the 70's before going to Yamaha) that this one was ok but the older Japanese ones were much better made than Gibsons and the recent Japanese ones still excellent value.

Mine plays nicely but it sounds absolutely stunning in 'rock mode' :rock:
Neil

chrisom
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by chrisom » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:01 pm

In 1987 I bought a brand new Japan Tokai "Love Rock" (headstock decal said "Love Rock" in the shape of "Les Paul Model"). It was a copy of a sunburst '59 Les Paul and cost me $500 brand new with hardcase. The side binding was not as deep and the frets were even larger than Gibsons, but other than that, it totally kicked ass. Too bad I was an idiot and sold it later during the "divorce"... :? :( The sad faces is for the loss of the guitar- Not the woman... :lol: :rockon: I Recently picked up a mint Gibson LP Traditional Plus in Iced Tea Sunburst for $1600 used last year. It's a NICE guitar, but that '87 Tokai could still give it a run for it's money any day...

jimmyride

Post by jimmyride » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Well, to be honest I never thought japanese LP replicas were on the same or better level than Gibsons. But like I said, I've never played one or heard one in person. My judgement comes only from various video/sound samples on YT. I would love to be mistaken though! I love my Tokai strat and would love to have as good or better Les Paul as well. (Greco, Tokai, Burny or Orville) I read somewhere all these companies used african mahogany for their Les Pauls though. But I heard the same rumour about 59 Gibsons as well. I wonder where the truth is. Anyway I'll be happy to hear thoughts from all of you touched by the japanese craftsmanship. :-)

Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:08 pm

I can't resist.

African mahogany is like Chilean sea bass. No such actual thing.. sorry, can't stop myself. :palm: It's Sapele. Heavy as steel and taps out like glass. Makes a 10 pound SG. All ribbons and long grain points.

When Gibson runs out of mahogany, they find someting new to call mahogany, then everyone follows.

;)

Original Gibsons (glory days) are all 100% Honduras mahogany. Weighs at MOST 1/2 what Sapele does, and figure is very rare.
not kicking the dead horse

jimmyride

Post by jimmyride » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:49 pm

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-ide ... ds/sapele/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-ide ... -mahogany/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It doesn't seem to be the same kind of wood.

Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:28 pm

There is no true mahogany from Africa.

Google Sapele species, and Mahogany species. These trade terms are VERY ambiguous, and should be considered as such.

You can either listen to me, or listen to Gibson. I have no reason to tell you anything but truth. I have nothing for sale, and 30 years experience.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:51 am

I have a '88 limited run, one piece 'African Mahogany' Dinky strat. It is EVERYTHING, in terms of tone, that mahogany is, and isnt super heavy. You can look at the grain and see BIG similarities to it and Honduran. Close enough for me, but the older crop Honduran used back in the day was obviously much more consistant looking and sounding I'd say.

GREAT looking Les Paul Bainful ! :thumbsup:

The modern Japanese guitars are better than modern American 'equivalents' imo. The mid '70's to mid '80's Japanese guitars (Ibanez, Greco, Tokai, etc) not only were better than same era American (Gibson, Fender) guitars, but equalled the quality of the '50's- '60's American.
Alot of people have a hard time accepting that, but just go to some guitar shows and see/play for yourself.

I've been looking for a '70's era Greco flying V for some time, The Modern 'Edwards' (Japan) are the only currently made V's that use the '70' Gibson flying V style. Gibson only currently use the '67 Flying V specs.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:36 am

Tone Slinger wrote: Alot of people have a hard time accepting that, but just go to some guitar shows and see/play for yourself.

Yes! I'd be one of those people! I'll argue against that til my breath runs out.

Agreed on modern Japanese guitars. Since the mid-80s vintage 50s/60s Japanese line of Fenders, I have no ida why there is a company called Fender in the USA. The electronics are the cheapest non-Korean/Chinese garbage ever, but the hardware, neck, body and quality of finish are excellent. Never a dog in that pile.

Roe

Post by Roe » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:35 pm

got a ls370 recently, have had a ls320 for a while. both are good, although the former needed some work
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

jimmyride

Post by jimmyride » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:18 pm

got a ls370 recently, have had a ls320 for a while. both are good, although the former needed some work
How good are you talking? Compared to new Gibson LPs..

Roe

Post by Roe » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:16 am

jimmyride wrote:
How good are you talking? Compared to new Gibson LPs..
they compare to the old guitars rather than the new ones, at least in terms of specs. the 370 and 320 use honduras mahogny etc. However, individual guitars always differ somewhat. the 370sounds particularly punchy and is great for riffing. the 320 is bluesier.
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

Janglin_Jack

Post by Janglin_Jack » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:23 pm

Reeltarded wrote:There is no true mahogany from Africa.

Google Sapele species, and Mahogany species. These trade terms are VERY ambiguous, and should be considered as such.

You can either listen to me, or listen to Gibson. I have no reason to tell you anything but truth. I have nothing for sale, and 30 years experience.
I found this and it supports what RT is saying.

Mahogany - African, Honduran, SapeleHonduran Mahogany, Swietenia macrophylla, used to be exported mainly from Honduras, but now comes more often from Brazil. We also offer African Mahogany of the genus Khaya, and Sapele of the genus Entandrophragma, which is a little heavier and finer textured than Honduran Mahogany. They are all fine woods for guitars due to their relative low cost, ease of working, and stability. Sides can be difficult to bend because of variation in density within the piece (less water in bending is better than more). Colors range from light pink to medium brown to reddish brown. The figure on well-quartered pieces is the characteristic stripe resulting from interlocked grain.