Calling Vintage Floyd Rose Users...

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

N3m0 7h3 Fi5h
Just the numbers in order: 7

Calling Vintage Floyd Rose Users...

Post by N3m0 7h3 Fi5h » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:19 pm

Hello all...

Iam pretty much aware of some tone result vs bridge setup/constructin in some guitars..
I have variuos guitars and each having various constructions and various bridge..

Somehow.. today.. I saw (I hope.. ) Original Vintage Floyd Rose - early Floyd Rose without fine tuners, in here...

Does someone having experience using this type in the long run? ... hmm... maybe.... prefer this vintage version... compare to current Floyd Rose (with fine tuners)..?

Based on your experience, what is the main advantage of vintage floyd rose?

Thank you...

L. Trent
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Calling Vintage Floyd Rose Users...

Post by L. Trent » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:15 am

I've got one these units brand new as they have started making them again. That one could be new judging by the condition of the screws. If not, then its one of the Schaller made units produced along side the fine-tuner version at least until the mid eighties that came stock on Kramer Strikers, which was Kramer's budget line back then. It was a cheaper alternative to the fine tuner version

If there's any advantage to these things at all, its that there are no moving parts to rattle except for the bar if you keep it loose as I do. On the fine tuner model, the saddles can rattle where they articulate. Other than that, they are a pain in the ass and hard to get perfectly in tune as the clamps on the locking nut can twist the strings as you tighten them. So you might have to compensate for that. Once you get that sorted out, they hold tune every bit as good. They also have a cheap cast zinc sustain block but that can be changed out with anything that will fit the fine tuner model if you want to put a better block on. Sound wise I didn't hear a difference between it and a regular floyd one I put a real sustain block on.

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:16 pm

I would say the main advantage is a piece of history. Without the fine tuners, I see no advantage to that FR than a fender 6 screw, even less. It would be cool to build a replica but that is about it. That being said, I have never played one, just my opinion.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:39 pm

You would think...

I played these in my travels...
This is a great (dbl anchor Fender) alternative to players who need a whammy (for BEEF)... and don't use them. :wink:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:46 pm

Maybe posted somewhere... but maybe a difference in alloy composition compared to current Floyds? If I wanted to go Floyd, I'd go vintage. Even if it means a little extra fussiness, and may even sound "worse" :lol: which means "correct" 8) . Same for vintage Fender trem dudes, it's worth it. There are modern "upgrades" though . . . :scratch:
dave

N3m0 7h3 Fi5h

Post by N3m0 7h3 Fi5h » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:36 pm

Brad Gillis and Neil Schon .. I think... having access to modern floyd rose or 6 screw fender tremolo.... For some reason, he use vintage floyd rose ... and keep buying vintage floyd rose...

I read somewhere... brad gillis likes them because he pulls on them with his fingers.. i dont really understand what that is, but he can not pull on the fine tuner ones.. not sure if what i said makes any sense. It could also just be what people are used to.

Yes, without fine tuners.. maybe... not practical... Some preferred the non-fine tuning Floyds because they would bump the fine tuners while picking and throw the guitar out of tune.

Some people would put a strip of tape over the fine tuners...

What is/was your opinion Jimijames... when you had this floyd rose installed in your guitars ? Are you using lock nut or classic bone/brass nut in your setup ?

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:11 pm

N3m0 7h3 Fi5h wrote: ...what is/was your opinion Jimijames...
besides this...
JimiJames wrote:This is a great (dbl anchor Fender) alternative to players who need a whammy (for BEEF)... and don't use them....
A non-float set up and your good to go.
Let's see... IIRC back in the early '90's where I worked partime at a music store; these came on some of the Hammer's & Washburn's. Played quite a few. The whammy was not conducive to my needs... Was more interested in the guitars that they came on in those days.

On another note; practically the only thing I dislike on the FR's is the way the whammy bar is affixed and or designed there...
I guess many here know that... :roll: :lol: Let's just say I don't play nice with whammy's.

N3m0 7h3 Fi5h wrote:...Are you using lock nut or classic bone/brass nut in your setup ?
Now? Fender HM Strat w/ Kahler SPYDER locking nut w/both Ibanez EDGE & Lo-Pro. I have a new Gotoh 1996 in the ready for next SuperStrat.
N3m0 7h3 Fi5h wrote:...when you had this floyd rose installed in your guitars ?
Soon as the Ibanez EDGE came along ... asta la vista with the FR :lol:

There is a way and still hope to use this style Trem Unit in normal function with 2 key elements.
Locking key/tuners
or Locking tuners and a roller nut
Change it out or leave it unlocked with the Locking tuners.
The rest of the fine tuning is shooting from the hip. Lotsa guys here good at that Rifleman/GunSlinger stuff :shred:

somethin'else wrote:Maybe posted somewhere... but maybe a difference in alloy composition compared to current Floyds?
I think your in the park on that... German Steel ? :what:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:18 am

N3m0 7h3 Fi5h wrote:...Are you using lock nut or classic bone/brass nut in your setup ?
jimijames wrote:Now? Fender HM Strat w/ Kahler SPYDER locking nut w/both Ibanez EDGE & Lo-Pro. I have a new Gotoh 1996 in the ready for next SuperStrat.
This, you should look into Nemo.
somethin'else wrote:Maybe posted somewhere... but maybe a difference in alloy composition compared to current Floyds?
jimijames wrote:I think your in the park on that... German Steel ? :what:
Yep, nothin' like good ole panzer steel. I'd wager it's changed, even if a small % enough that us rockers could hear. The last hand built Bimmers rolled out by 95, and the last German designed/engineered Bimmers in 2000-2001.

Nemo, if you have various guitars with various woods and trem setups, and you don't have the old Floyd, then Why The Hell Not? :D I would. My resources are tight, so I had to decide on one avenue, vintage trem but did the Callaham.

:jimi:
dave

N3m0 7h3 Fi5h

Post by N3m0 7h3 Fi5h » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:08 am

somethin'else wrote: Nemo, if you have various guitars with various woods and trem setups, and you don't have the old Floyd, then Why The Hell Not? :D I would.
Hahaha..! Right to the point..!

For a person that live in the middle of nowhere like me.. I am a bit a lucky.. i bought most of my gears a long time before "Hype of Internet Era"... I got Gibson LP Standards less than $100 USD... 1974 mint Superbass less than $200USD.. Roland Space Echo RE-201 about $30USD... Jackson Dinky $80 USD.. and ...other stuff in decent price while back.....

I am not even a rich person in any means.. I got some of it after went back to home country after living couple years in Germany... I saw unbeliveable cheap stuff in home country.. well.. at least compare to German/Europe's price at the time being...

I know my close mate.. that got Beat-Up Black Flag JTM 50 watter for $90 USD in few years back... and until now.... he has not any idea.. what it is... he keep saying... I have one marshall head.. it is working.. but in bad condition... hahaha..!

.. for time to time... I beg him... say it to me... What kind of gear that he wish to have.. to replace his particular old JTM head.. hahaha..!

Now.. I still can not believe.. in a music store in the small village of my country... having that vintage Floyd rose to sell .. its about $35 USD...! ...... In this "Internet Era"...! ..... Its so... wow.... :D

Even... when looked back at me... I am too old ... I am not good in whammy guitars.... hahaha....!

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:16 am

HA! That is awesome, you are a Lucky One! Get the Floyddddd! And imagine it's a rocking chair! :clap: Lucky small town gear hunter, isn't that the way it goes? Very cool to hear your stories. :D
dave