Favorite Strat year/s and Why ?

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

vanhalen5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Favorite Strat year/s and Why ?

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:30 am

I believe the second string tree was added later. It didnt look the same as the B/E one and seems to be up too far. I always thought early Strats only had 1 tree?
12000 Metro Kit

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:43 pm

Its probably worth $15,000 I'd say ?
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:58 am

Tone Slinger wrote:Its probably worth $15,000 I'd say ?

:lol:
Right on the money Andy! That's a good call.
12000 Metro Kit

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:00 am

wow, you're right about those frets. Three coats of primer? white, blue, red, then white on top? Was the pickguard white and just faded after all these years (half a century)?
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:56 am

Yeah, the pick guard and knobs had turned a really cool color. Almost like a cream color. There is a crack in the guard up by the neck pickup on the low E side. Back of the neck was really worn. Huge steel trem block. I really wish I taken more photos but all I had was my phone. Pots were a bit scratchy. Fun being able to play something like that. I think the store owner was sad to sell it. He is a good player and was always playing it. Running an small independent business I guess he didn't have much choice. Always plugged into an old Twin Vibrolux. I lent him my 12000 and it was Hendrix week. :lol:
12000 Metro Kit

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:16 am

Cool story,most store owners wouldnt have let many,if any,people play the thing.You are right,the guy who owned that store was a cool dude :thumbsup: . I remember at a guitar show back 10 yrs ago or so and one of the guy's set up had a '59 Les Paul in a framed glass case. I asked if I could hold it and he was like "do you have any serious interest in buying it........... do you have accsess to that kind of money" (as I recall it had a tag of something like $125,000, I cant remember exactly,but it was over a hundred grand) . I was like "no". He refused to let me hold it or even touch it. It was in pretty worn shape.Had major mojo, and that was just from what I could gather looking down on it in its framed glass case. I was actually there trying to locate a particuarly nice sounding JCM 800 and had JCM 800 and an old '64 epiphone (tube)combo with me (in the car) to work with. I didnt find the right JCM 800. Anyways,as me and my Pop was leaving, in came a group of Japanese buissiness men (and women). I didnt go back in to see where they were going,but I take it that when a 1959 Les Paul is for sale, it gathers 'World Attention'. I understand that there are more vintage Fender and Gibson guitars residing in Japan, than anywhere else.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:40 am

There is another small place that has a 52 Goldtop. It's not for sale. I'll get a shot of it Tuesday. Lots of cool stuff around.
12000 Metro Kit

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:33 am

Tone Slinger wrote:I remember at a guitar show back 10 yrs ago or so and one of the guy's set up had a '59 Les Paul in a framed glass case. I asked if I could hold it and he was like "do you have any serious interest in buying it........... do you have accsess to that kind of money" (as I recall it had a tag of something like $125,000, I cant remember exactly,but it was over a hundred grand) . I was like "no". He refused to let me hold it or even touch it.
Yeah, guys like that are a real piece of work. Its almost like a little kid... "look at THIS Firetruck... but you cant touch it cause its mine".
I get that '59 LP's are expensive, but what did he think was gonna happen to it if you DID play it?? Out of respect for what that is, and being careful KNOWING what it is, Im pretty confident you wouldnt have dropped it!!

The only way I would understand that POV is if it was dead mint without so much as a mark in it, and of the number of them I've seen and played, and of the people I know that have one, I havent seen that yet.

Not for nothin', I have an actual '59 LP. (Bought it in the early '80's when it was "only" 5k, and the previous owner thought it was a re-fin... it wasnt :D )

I STILL take it to an occasional gig (of COURSE keeping a tight eye on it), and anybody that plays that comes to my home is welcome to play it. I mean, yeah, its valuable, but its still just a guitar, meant to be played and if it gets another nick or scratch?? (Its got plenty)
Additional mojo, and another marker of where its been in the world.

8)

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:04 am

Damn thats cool man :thumbsup: I'm extremely JEALOUS of course :mrgreen: . Having a '59 would be cool on SO many levels. For one,its cool to have such a 'small' thing to be worth more than your house ( my house that is) and two, such HISTORY to a guitar !
How does she play and sound ?

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:24 am

You got a 59? Wow, that's awesome! Any pics? Serial number still readable?
12000 Metro Kit

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:13 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:Damn thats cool man :thumbsup: I'm extremely JEALOUS of course :mrgreen: . Having a '59 would be cool on SO many levels. For one,its cool to have such a 'small' thing to be worth more than your house ( my house that is) and two, such HISTORY to a guitar !
How does she play and sound ?
Thanks, TS!! It sound cliche to say this, cause I feel like everyone would claim a guitar like that is a killer, but it really does play and sound amazing. Lots of bite, but lots of depth to the tone as well. The neck is as close to perfect as I've ever had. Typical '59 chunkiness, low action and a beautiful dark reddish/brown (Brazilian?) fretboard.
vanhalen5150 wrote:You got a 59? Wow, that's awesome! Any pics? Serial number still readable?
Thank you, 5150. Ill definitely post some pics in this thread when I get home. Im in California right now visiting my Mom, sister and brother... I dont have my pics on this netbook.

It looks a LOT like the "Peter Green" LP that Gary Moore inherited, except of course it doesnt have a reversed neck pickup. Side by side, they'd almost look like twins.
There is extremely little cherry left to the sunburst. Its basically a "lemon burst" at this point, but there's flame everywhere. Its more visible from certain angles, but there are no plain spots.

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:47 pm

That would be fantastic.
12000 Metro Kit

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:20 pm

After that description I'm even MORE jealous :x :mrgreen:

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by rgorke » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:53 pm

fillmore nyc wrote: I STILL take it to an occasional gig (of COURSE keeping a tight eye on it), and anybody that plays that comes to my home is welcome to play it. I mean, yeah, its valuable, but its still just a guitar, meant to be played and if it gets another nick or scratch?? (Its got plenty)

8)
Where do you live? I'll be right over :thumbsup:
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

fillmore nyc

Post by fillmore nyc » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:42 am

rgorke wrote:
fillmore nyc wrote: I STILL take it to an occasional gig (of COURSE keeping a tight eye on it), and anybody that plays that comes to my home is welcome to play it. I mean, yeah, its valuable, but its still just a guitar, meant to be played and if it gets another nick or scratch?? (Its got plenty)

8)
Where do you live? I'll be right over :thumbsup:
Haha!!
:lol: :lol: