Favorite Strat year/s and Why ?

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Roe
Senior Member
Posts: 5020
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:36 pm
Just the numbers in order: 7
Location: Drontheim. Norwegen
Contact:

Re: Favorite Strat year/s and Why ?

Post by Roe » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:24 am

I seem to prefer 64 and 65 strats. out of the new ones I like both the EJ signatures
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

User avatar
T.L.
Senior Member
Posts: 560
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:18 pm

Re: Favorite Strat year/s and Why ?

Post by T.L. » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:37 pm

Wow. Gorgeous '54. I love it. Especially the hardtail.

User avatar
NY Chief
Wiki Editor
Posts: 6589
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Favorite Strat year/s and Why ?

Post by NY Chief » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:55 am

54strat wrote:Thanks Chief. Truth be said, all Strats sound like Strats, with only minor variations,

I always thought that as well until I got this '59 from Gruhns. I have had many compliments both from knowledgable people and those that have no clue. A number of times people have told me that brown guitar (ES355) sounds nice but the other one (strat) sounds so big. My guitar player friends wife even said the strat sounds very rich. And he plays a PRS through a Boogie (I don't think he took too kindly to his wife saying my guitar sounded better!) :-o
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

User avatar
NY Chief
Wiki Editor
Posts: 6589
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Favorite Strat year/s and Why ?

Post by NY Chief » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:58 am

Roe wrote:I seem to prefer 64 and 65 strats. out of the new ones I like both the EJ signatures
The Rory Gallagher sig guitar is so close to my real '64 that blindolded I doubt many could tell the diif. The custom shop nailed it on this one.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

User avatar
JimiJames
Senior Member
Posts: 3541
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:32 pm
Just the numbers in order: 13492
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Why ?

Post by JimiJames » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:22 pm

JimiJames wrote:problem is people don't know their Fender's & people don't know their Gibson's... :shrug:
:peace: :oops:

Just re-read what I posted...
apparently I know very little about Fender's & Gibson's for the past 20 years... With Richlite & Tobor machine's... Not that I'm older school, stubborn & locked, it's just that I am slow to this change. I keep looking for an instrument and I just keep seeing toys...
...I guess I'm trying to comprehend that the industry has gotten the screws put to them and this is their answer or solution.
Man are there a whole lotta' Epiphone's & Squire's... and some even below those lines like the Fender/Squire/Affinity... and lower if it's from, yet another 3rd world country.

...and what's with Fender's & Floyd's concept... years later; "ain't there nuthin' better ?" other than slight improvements to radical changes ? :what:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

__________________________________________
Build'sClip'sVid's

Roe
Senior Member
Posts: 5020
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:36 pm
Just the numbers in order: 7
Location: Drontheim. Norwegen
Contact:

Re: Favorite Strat year/s and Why ?

Post by Roe » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:24 pm

NY Chief wrote:
Roe wrote:I seem to prefer 64 and 65 strats. out of the new ones I like both the EJ signatures
The Rory Gallagher sig guitar is so close to my real '64 that blindolded I doubt many could tell the diif. The custom shop nailed it on this one.
Nice, I'd like to try one
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

frenchie
Senior Member
Posts: 1491
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:50 am
Location: france

Re: Favorite Strat year/s and Why ?

Post by frenchie » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:45 am

NY Chief wrote:
The Rory Gallagher sig guitar is so close to my real '64 that blindolded I doubt many could tell the diif. The custom shop nailed it on this one.

Was this the case on all gallaghers you've tested chief or just this particular one ?
very interested !

User avatar
NY Chief
Wiki Editor
Posts: 6589
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Favorite Strat year/s and Why ?

Post by NY Chief » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:19 pm

frenchie wrote:
NY Chief wrote:
The Rory Gallagher sig guitar is so close to my real '64 that blindolded I doubt many could tell the diif. The custom shop nailed it on this one.
Was this the case on all gallaghers you've tested chief or just this particular one ?
very interested !

Only played two, frenchie. The one I saw at NAMM ('98?) and mine. I don't remember much about the NAMM guitar because I was just so knocked out that Fender would do a Rory sig. There weren't many sig instruments back then and relic'g was pretty much reserved to repairing vintage instruments. As a big Rory fan for years it was a thrill to hold such an exacting replica of a guitar I stared at for years whole listening to Rory make it cry for mercy! Plus Rory wasn't much of a household name either. It intailly was a limited run that sold out immediately but Fender got so much good feedback they put it into production. When I stumbled across one a few years later I had to have it! It was still pretty limited production and I wasn't gonna pass it up! Not knowing then I would be fortunate enough to accquire a real '64 years later. The sig is built same as SRV's #1 and Blackie as the custom shop actually had Rory's guitar to dissect. So I'd imagine they would pretty consistent.

George also gave it the thumbs up once saying it was just as close to the real thing as his Nash.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

frenchie
Senior Member
Posts: 1491
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:50 am
Location: france

Re: Favorite Strat year/s and Why ?

Post by frenchie » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:35 pm

NY Chief wrote:
frenchie wrote:
NY Chief wrote:
The Rory Gallagher sig guitar is so close to my real '64 that blindolded I doubt many could tell the diif. The custom shop nailed it on this one.
Was this the case on all gallaghers you've tested chief or just this particular one ?
very interested !

Only played two, frenchie. The one I saw at NAMM ('98?) and mine. I don't remember much about the NAMM guitar because I was just so knocked out that Fender would do a Rory sig. There weren't many sig instruments back then and relic'g was pretty much reserved to repairing vintage instruments. As a big Rory fan for years it was a thrill to hold such an exacting replica of a guitar I stared at for years whole listening to Rory make it cry for mercy! Plus Rory wasn't much of a household name either. It intailly was a limited run that sold out immediately but Fender got so much good feedback they put it into production. When I stumbled across one a few years later I had to have it! It was still pretty limited production and I wasn't gonna pass it up! Not knowing then I would be fortunate enough to accquire a real '64 years later. The sig is built same as SRV's #1 and Blackie as the custom shop actually had Rory's guitar to dissect. So I'd imagine they would pretty consistent.

George also gave it the thumbs up once saying it was just as close to the real thing as his Nash.
i'll take your word for gospel then :wink: i'll never be able to shell out the dough for a real 64 , and would be scared like mad to take it out of my house anyway , wan't a real player , this might be my chance to have something real close in the two years to come , but even if i like rory , i think i won't leave the trashed out finish , this will be my player guitar , not to resell , so a with lightly relic'ed nitro refinish maybe , always wanted a mocha brown strat ( i know it'd be sacrilegious but oh well ) ... :scratch:

User avatar
NY Chief
Wiki Editor
Posts: 6589
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Favorite Strat year/s and Why ?

Post by NY Chief » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:17 pm

frenchie wrote:[ this might be my chance to have something real close in the two years to come ,
That was EXACTLY my thoughts at the time
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

Post Reply