Refretting a neck.

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

jnew
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Refretting a neck.

Post by jnew » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:21 pm

So I bought a really cheap Squier Strat to just take offshore and leave in my locker along with a repaired Samick practice amp that a buddy of mine found in the trash dumpster. :lol: Well, now it works. :thumbsup: But any way, as far as the guitar, I plugged it into my amps at home and I gotta say that it sounds really good. The only thing about it is the frets are super cheap and so I thought if I re-fret it with some decent fret wire, it might actually be pretty bad ass. The neck is actually really awesome. The question is, when I lift out the old frets (which I just did on a really old neck I would otherwise throw in the trash) I notice that it beats up the wood just a little. Nothing serious as the new fret wire would cover it all up but will new fret wire actually set down in and get a bite enough to stay in solid? I've never done this before and was curious if I could do this and actually make a really nice neck out of this. 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vanhalen5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Refretting a neck.

Post by vanhalen5150 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:20 am

There is a really good refret tutorial on the My Les Paul forum. It's a sticky in the luthier section.
12000 Metro Kit

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:47 am

There are also a lot of videos on youtube. Watch more than one and you can figure out the process.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

jnew

Post by jnew » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:38 am

Very cool. Thanks guys. 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vanhalen5150
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:10 am

Watch this dude. Freddy does work on guitars for RUSH up here in the North. :thumbsup:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthier ... orial.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
12000 Metro Kit