NGD - a bit late!

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

neikeel

NGD - a bit late!

Post by neikeel » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:34 pm

Bought this during forum down time. It is officially Bourbon Burst with a V2 neck.

Sold my '65 JTM45 for an indecent sum so half went to this and half into the abyss that is the University fund (x4 potentials).

I have fitted straplocks, 550k pots with Jensen PIO caps, push-push tones for coil taps and fitted Bareknuckles Mules (the BBs were microphonic and the bridge very sharp unless the tone was on 2 or 3, on 0 it sounded like a fuzzbox! The mules still have a vintage vibe but much more oomph when called for and the single coil tones very useful. Neck is lovely and the finish and attention to detail is much more in keeping with a high end guitar than gibsons of yore (at least that I have owned/played!)
Neil

Tone Slinger

Re: NGD - a bit late!

Post by Tone Slinger » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:29 pm

GEORGEOUS :drool:

Post a pic of the base (bottom strap button)of it laying face up. I'm interested in seeing the end grain orientation.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:33 am

These are all I have at the moment but can take more if it helps?
Neil

stef
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by stef » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:47 pm

:drool:

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:42 am

That's nice.
12000 Metro Kit

JimiJames
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by JimiJames » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:55 am

Oh yeah, that's a keeper !
Nice Gibson logo. Rest of the guitar looks to have '68 appointments. :scratch:
ehh... we really don't care about "strap locks" :roll: Weight & year re-issue would be nice. :?

When you say BB's... 1, 2, or 3's? The 1's are best for bridge. Does Steve Stevens use those BK's ? rgalpin and a few others have had good results with BK's

Everything looks good with the hardware. Like those Kluson's. (As an option, Nickel 18:1 Gover Kidneys would look nice too if you get bored with the headstock look.) Really nice that it's a customer preference pickguard. In that cosmetic respect, loose the poker chip ! :wink:

Lastly; Haven't tried those Jensen PIO caps, but strongly recommend picking up a pair of real Bumblebee's.
Excellent choice on the push-push tones for coil taps ! In that case, and if you have 4 leads on that BK, I personally would do a JP-#1 and with 50's wiring to achieve the best tones out of a Les Paul Standard....
I use the push/push (EC Blackie 10dB tone-boost) for some Stratocaster setup's (used like or instead of a footswitch) and the (1 Tone) push/pulls for Gibson's (Page wiring).

Nice score.
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:51 pm

JimiJames wrote:Oh yeah, that's a keeper !
Yes I think so too!
JimiJames wrote:Nice Gibson logo. Rest of the guitar looks to have '68 appointments. :scratch:
Er supposed to be an R0 according the the box, serial and the e-mail from Gibson, I bought it second hand
JimiJames wrote:ehh... we really don't care about "strap locks" :roll: Weight & year re-issue would be nice. :?
Too many dropped (or nearly dropped) Les Pauls due to falling out of strap with me so for this locks were essential I bought it to play out and gig, none of this poncy fake reilcing for me!
It is a 2012 R0 and is pretty light at under 8 1/2lbs. The fret board issue is a non-issue for me as the whole guitar is glued and pressed in one way or another so I am not knocking the nut off to see!
JimiJames wrote:When you say BB's... 1, 2, or 3's? The 1's are best for bridge. Does Steve Stevens use those BK's ? rgalpin and a few others have had good results with BK's
They were a BB1 in the neck and BB2 in the bridge. Neck sounded quite nice with the pup just under the mounting ring, the bridge was just vicious and sharp even really low and the tone dialled back, so it had to go. I already had the neck Mule so a matching bridge seemed the way to go and I have the push-push tone on two of my Martyn Booths they work really well.
JimiJames wrote:Everything looks good with the hardware. Like those Kluson's. (As an option, Nickel 18:1 Gover Kidneys would look nice too if you get bored with the headstock look.) Really nice that it's a customer preference pickguard. In that cosmetic respect, loose the poker chip ! :wink:
I have actually fitteed the guard since those pics. I am led to believe the selector ring is really accurate on these??
JimiJames wrote:Lastly; Haven't tried those Jensen PIO caps, but strongly recommend picking up a pair of real Bumblebee's.
Excellent choice on the push-push tones for coil taps ! In that case, and if you have 4 leads on that BK, I personally would do a JP-#1 and with 50's wiring to achieve the best tones out of a Les Paul Standard....
You maybe right on the Bumble bees. These Jensens are not quite up to snuff in this application (I use 50's wiring anyway) as they darken at less than 6 on the volume but the coil tap effect helps keep it brighter. Maybe try the out of phase later?
JimiJames wrote:I use the push/push (EC Blackie 10dB tone-boost) for some Stratocaster setup's (used like or instead of a footswitch) and the (1 Tone) push/pulls for Gibson's (Page wiring).
Nice score.
Thanks
Neil

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:00 pm

yeah, I remember bonnet knobs for the '60 Lp's. They reflectors came directly after. There was no mention of year as to why I mentioned the guitar possibly being of later '60's appointments. That's a nice weight BTW.

Try that BB1 in the bridge when you have a chance and let us know how it sounds.
This is a BB1 in that confounded 'bridge position of an '05 R7 CS Standard.
(If you're interested and decide to do the stock Page #1 wiring down the road, and if you can't find it, I can always send you.)...
neikeel wrote:I have actually fitteed the guard since those pics.
Oh... false advertising aye ?
Since you did show pic's without the guard to show the Top I was referring to also removing the selector ring.
Give's it that nice touch.
errm, was it painful to put in the new holes then ? :lol:
neikeel wrote:Too many dropped (or nearly dropped) Les Pauls due to falling out of strap with me so..."
hey, that's your problem. Stop doing those Yngwie behind the back spin-O-rama's :lol:

Nice guitar, Congrat's ! ...don't drop it !
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:40 am

Bit of research on that fretboard 2 ply deal. Apparently, Gibson only did that to some of the 2012 LP's. Some may or may not have it. The reason was because of the seizure of the rosewood they had shipped in at the time. They had to make due with what they had so that's the reason for the maple ply underneath. :stars:
12000 Metro Kit

Ferrari-Dude

Post by Ferrari-Dude » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:36 am

Drool. :drool:

That is absolutely beautiful.
-Dono

1972 Marshall Super Bass
"Can you hear me now?"

Roe

Post by Roe » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:43 am

Nice! I personally enjoy my LPs more after installing real light strings (8-38 on two; 9-42 on a third one). also, the throbak alnico magnets are very nice for upgrading seth lovers and SD 59s
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:51 am

I normally use D'addario 9-42 on my electrics and 11-52 on my acoustics.

Funnily on this I found a hybrid set of 9-46 worked best for balance and feel :what:

I looked at all the boutique pups (Throbak, Tom Holmes, Sheptone etc) and have a box with a pair of SD Antiquities, BB1, BB2 and BB3 so I did have som options but wanted the 4-wire option and BKP are UK offering excellent service and good value for money. As far as PAF tones are concerned the BB1 in the neck was pretty good with it low in the rings but with the pole pieces raised a little. I thought the bridge pup was really duff!

The guitar (always did, and still) does have a slight hum with hands off strings but the bridge is grounded even though it sounds like a guitar does without a bridge/string ground, funnily enough the hum goes when you hold the nut on the jackplate. Different amps, different sockets :scratch:
Neil