Weather change and sharp frets

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

rgorke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Weather change and sharp frets

Post by rgorke » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:28 pm

So, I noticed this year that the ends of the frets on a couple of necks are sharp. Could be that we have had the heater on nearly non stop and the air in the house is really dry. Should I getnthe files out or just deal with it until the humidity comes backs?m
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Re: Weather change and sharp frets

Post by NY Chief » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:45 pm

it's always easier to remove metal than add metal!! Don't touch it until it stabilizes. Normally solid bodies not as much but acoustics should def have a humdifier in the case.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:07 pm

Thanks Chief. It is a bolt on neck for a strat. I'll leave it be for now. Not like it is slicing my fingers, just noticed the ends more.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

straycat113

Post by straycat113 » Thu May 07, 2015 1:43 am

Years ago I had bought two Peavey Wolfgang Standards off Ebay 3 months apart from Nevada and Arizona and they both came with fret sprout. I called my tech who is also one of my best friends and owns the shop I hangout in the last 15 years and he told me (when the first one came) to just give it time and see if it adjusts to the new climate. It took about 5 weeks, but the sprout totally disappeared and I just did the same when the second one came. I still have both guitars and have never had an issue with either since.