Old friend

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

Kris Ford
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Old friend

Post by Kris Ford » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:12 pm

'76 SG Standard, my one keeper out of a TON of them...and I've had a LOT lol..
Haven't picked this one up in a bit...so it got a spa day on the bench, and spent the afternoon with my JMPs.
Though the Tarbacks are history in this one, as well as 300K vol and 100K pots, I have had several like that, and I'll find one dead stock when I have to scratch that itch. Original low profile M-8 rings though, and knobs are stock too. I built a 500K CTS harness and reused the stock caps.
I put a P490 under a T Top cover, and that's a period correct 70's Super Distortion, which really growls and screams through this thing, and the P490 is chirpy and flutey. Middle position is awesome as well!
LOVE the ambering too! ALl that ambering, but not much checking at all!
We had a good day together.

wdelaney72

Re: Old friend

Post by wdelaney72 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:40 am

Beautiful.....old friends are the best!

My oldest guitar I've owned and never traded is a G&L strat. It's a great guitar, but the neck profile is just too damn thin. Still....I'll never part with it!
Walter

"There's no great thing in being a soloist. I think the hardest thing is to play together with a lot of people, and do it right." - Angus Young, 1984

chrisom
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Old friend

Post by chrisom » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:53 pm

I used to have the EXACT same model SG. I recently stumbled across the pawn shop receipt where I paid $264.20 for it in 1997. :lol: You just can't find deals like that anymore. I tried to sell it to several friends (who declined), and I ended up selling it on eBay for not a lot more than I bought it for... :bang: The receipt called it a 1967. Live and Learn! :palm: :thumbsup: