making your own pickups

There's more to life than just amps?

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

fixer2
Just the numbers in order: 13492

making your own pickups

Post by fixer2 » Mon May 29, 2017 8:57 am

Hi I just got into making my own pick up and Iam winding it by hand because I only want to make two or three of them.The machine is way too pricey.I was winding and Iam about three quarters the way done and the wire broke what can I do ,do you think splice it?

danman

Re: making your own pickups

Post by danman » Mon May 29, 2017 6:59 pm

You can splice it but it is tricky to get right. You must strip enough of the insulation layer away to get a good solder joint on the splice. Then you need something to reinsulate the wire at the splice. I believe some folks use a clear enamel nail polish to paint on the wire for insulation. I still wouldn't trust the joint enough to do it, especially with all the time it takes to hand wind it. You can make a winder from anything. Some folks use and old electric drill with a variable speed motor or convert an old sewing machine over. I built a cheap winder from a motor and counter that I bought on Ebay. Built a small wooden box to house it all. Total cost was less than fifty dollars IIRC. I sold it awhile back to a friend and he is still winding with it.

fixer2

Re: making your own pickups

Post by fixer2 » Mon May 29, 2017 9:17 pm

Thanks again I think Iam going to build a winder for the second coil of this humbucker