Big Thanks! I want to sound like Duane Allman!

Get support and show off your MetroAmp 50 Watt kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

stokesdead

Big Thanks! I want to sound like Duane Allman!

Post by stokesdead » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:44 pm

THe subject says it all. I can't wait!

~Stokesdead

cole
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by cole » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:16 am

Then you need to start with equipment here at this thread.

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

1. Get a good Les Paul.
2. Make sure you have a good PAF replica set of pickups (if not the real deal).
3. Get a Metro JTM 45 Plexi or a Metro 50watt Plexi.
4. Get a 4X12 cab loaded with G12M Greenbacks.

Cole
Les Paul Classic, Les Paul Standard Faded, Fender American Strat
Jackson Custom Shop Strat s/n 1226
JMP 2203, JCM 800 2205, Metro JTM 45
Metropoulos '68 12 Series s/n 12026
Marshall 1960 A/B 4 X 12's

robert
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by robert » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:26 am

Hi stokesdead,

do it exactlxy as cole recommended.
But, before you payfor all the items, at first make a contract with the sellers: that if, after you've purchased all this items and find sadly out that you still don't sound like Duane Allman they have to give you the money back...
Claim cole's guarantee for the Allman sound!

Regards

Robert

Bluesgeetar

What sound

Post by Bluesgeetar » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:20 pm

What sound of his are you wanting? The twin reverb JBLD120F sound or the 50watter who knows what type of speaker sound? I hate to keep posting this link here on the forum but here it is again.

http://www.wcrclips.com/clips/EdA_CRB.mp3

Now this is a 1959 345, Crossroads pickup on a 1965 Fender Pro Reverb with JBL D120s, no pedals. This is the Duane sound I have always wanted! Not the Marshall sound. I will say though as an owner of two perfect JBLD120F that these are about 50% of the sound. They have a stronger sonic signature than old pre rola Celestions. Many folks have nailed the old Celestion sound but none that I have heard or tried has nailed the old D120F sound. :wink:

shakti

Post by shakti » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:42 pm

That is an awesome clip for sure!

But I still have to disagree slightly that it nails the Duane tone. Yes, it's very close to a Duane type tone, touch and phrasing. But if you listen very closely, even through the rest of the sounds, you can hear a slight "clanky" upper midrange attack and honk. Duane had some of that, but the JBLs are a little too bright in that range IMO (yes, I have a pair of original cone grey frame JBL D120Fs). They have a beautiful touch sensitivity that lends itself very well to Duane style playing, a sort of spongey compression when they're being pushed, but even with thick BW cloth and Weber 5" dome beam blockers, I think the sound is a little too peaky. Duane's sound had those compression and sponginess qualities, but also more of a woody Celestion type knock. Though to be fair, his sound did change a little over the years - I'm talking more specifically about the Fillmore East recordings (the benchmark tone for me). Dickey's sound is much brighter, but I don't think it's only the attack. His speaker sound is very much JBL, but I'm not sure about Duane (again, referring specifically to the FE recordings).

Now, enter the Cerwin Vega ER123. I've yet to hear one in person, but I've heard it described as a cross between a JBL and Celestion, which sounds almost exactly like what I *think* I'm hearing from Duane. I have a pair of ripped ER123s which I am planning to send to Ted Weber for a re-cone as close to original as possible, but I just haven't found the time yet. I will be sure to report back (could take some time though).

Bluesgeetar

hmmm

Post by Bluesgeetar » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:15 pm

Thats what makes humans great. We all hear differently. I am not one of these guys that think that every single decent or kickass guitar sound that was ever made was done with a Marshall. Plus the research shows that Duane used a JBLD120F loaded Twin reverb in the studio very very much. And a silverface one at that.

I grew up in Alabama only 15 minutes form Muscle Shoals, my dad and all my family were a big part of the local music scene in Alabama in the 60s and 70s as far as bluegrass goes. I have had access to much info you won't find on the net about Duane. Dad confirmed that Duane was in fact a super super nice guy and supposedly held me briefly for about 1 minute when I was only a couple months old.

Well anyways I'm wasting my breath. :wink:

xjunjix

Post by xjunjix » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:25 pm

i don't know if this is true, but i've also heard he used the JBL D120s with the 50 watt marshalls.

shakti

Post by shakti » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:51 am

Bluesgeetar, that's a very coool story!!

Yes, you're absolutely right - Duane used a Silverface Fender with JBLs (probably) in the studio. I'm pretty certain that's what they used on the first album, but from Idlewild South and on I think it was Marshalls almost exclusively. Definitely live, but also in the studio. The whole debate seems to be which type of speakers, and that's what I tried to shed soom light on.

But the JBLs really lend themselves well to the kind of playing Duane did - super touch sensitive and liquid - but I can't get rid of that upper midrange I talked about, so I am really eager to try those Cerwin Vegas.

Bluesgeetar

hmm

Post by Bluesgeetar » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:38 am

Yes I was indeed talking about the first album. To me the first album is the holy grail of Duane tone. Honestly, I can't say for sure on the rest of the albums. They started getting very famous and my pa didn't see much of the boys after the first album. Only a few times at parties in Atlanta and around the bama georgia area and they didn't talk about amps and gear. Sorry that is the only cool story I have. Well I do have a few. Let me see. Step dad back in 70 something got busted selling cocaine with Willie Nelson. My Uncle Buddy was at the Grand Ol Opry and challenged Earl Scruggs to a Banjo duel and Scruggs declined cause Uncle Buddy was that good. But wine women and song kept him from amounting to anything. Drunkered, fighting all the time, in jail alot. My dad claims he slept with Stevie Nicks at a party in Birmingham. I don't know if I believe that or not. My first concert to perform at the age of 2 at a Bluegrass festival with around 4000 people attending. My grandpa was playing and I apparently walked out on stage with my cowboy outfit on with two cap pistols and a little plastic guitar. My grandpa sayed the crowd went wild with cheer. I don't remember a damn bit of it. I have other stories but hell.

Anyway I've heard a real Marshall 50watter through JBLD120F. I can't make a decision though cause the setup may have been wrong, ie wrong guitar, wrong pickups wrong imped. setting with cab. etc.

Also I have a pic in my Grateful dead box set book that shows Gerry warming up back stage behind the amps. Some of the cabs had Allman Bros marking them. On top of the cabs were Bassman amp heads. They were doing a gig with the ABB. :D

novosibir

Re: hmmm

Post by novosibir » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:25 am

Bluesgeetar wrote:Plus the research shows that Duane used a JBLD120F loaded Twin reverb in the studio very very much. And a silverface one at that.
Many of the 'old days cracks' have used a D120F loaded Twin Reverb besides other amps of course at that time - also because this amp was very very popular at that time.

Larry
The fault almost always is sitting in front of the amp :wink:

Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:42 am

Duane and Dickey both used JBL's from what I've seen, Dickey still does.

That WCR clip kicks ass though don't it. WOW.
Metroamp kit JMP50 - CM OT
Metroamp JTM45 turned JMP50 w/Classictone OT
Marshall 2550 Jubilee