I need a little help! George!

Get support and show off your MetroAmp 50 Watt kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

el34on11

I need a little help! George!

Post by el34on11 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:46 am

Hey All!

Build progress is going well but I hit a snag with the diodes. All the layouts show the diodes attached to the board,and the board George supplies doesn't have the space for them. Now I know how to read a schematic and layout but I'm having trouble translating the schematic to hook up the diodes. I know George hooked them on the transformer wires and ideally this is the way I'de like to do it as well and this is where I'm getting lost :oops:

Can someone, George if you have time scribble a diagram on how these would be hooked up just off the transformer, and connected to the board and cap can. I know it is a simple hookup but Ive been racking my brain and just can't figure it out DOH!
Thanks
D

el34on11

Post by el34on11 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:00 am

Someone?Anyone? :cry:

Any ideas?

D

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:24 am

Look at the 50watt build progress thread started by George down the page.

Sorry I have not posted pics of mine which will be on a separate diode board with a 0.05uF 1,000v cap in the centre and two parallel rows of diodes either side. There will be the two wires from the standby switch attached to one end of each diode row and a red wire to the linked diodes at the other end of the row and the cap hooked up to the HT fuse holder

I am waiting for my Trannies to arrive from the US and Alnico is sending me some of his spare perforated paxolin to make the board from.

Hope this helps
Neil

el34on11

Post by el34on11 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:03 am

neikeel

Thanks for the reply, I have those layouts as well but I'm using the carling switches with only 2 terminals on them like George did on his build.The pic of his build is pretty small and I cant make out how he did the diodes on his. I really want to do it the way George has his without any seperate board for the diodes if possible and that is where I'm getting stuck.

D

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:15 am

I used shrink tubing over the diodes. It doesn't look vintage, but it will protect them from shorting on stuff.

I just ran them over to the first filter cap.

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

el34on11

Post by el34on11 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:41 am

VelvetGeorge wrote:I used shrink tubing over the diodes. It doesn't look vintage, but it will protect them from shorting on stuff.

I just ran them over to the first filter cap.

george
Thanks George! :idea:

So if I get you......2 diodes per HV line to the filter cap farthest away from the output tubes(linking both sides of the can filter), then to the HT fuse and on to the board being the B+ supply...
I think I got IT :D

D

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:48 am

Yep!

VG
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

el34on11

Post by el34on11 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:00 pm

THANK YOU! George :)

JimmyR

Post by JimmyR » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:18 am

I'm more used to building 2204 style 50 watters, so I used the DPDT Marshall switches on my last '68 clone build. I mounted the diodes to the switch - two off one pin and two off the other, then heatshrunk, then joined 'em together with a wire going to the HT fuse holder, heatshrink over the join. So the HT ends up in the same place more or less and it looks neat to me.

Again - it might not be historically accurate but it's neat, safe and it works for me.

BTW - this amp is now officially my favourite!