My 50W Build! (with pics) - COMPLETE!!!

Get support and show off your MetroAmp 50 Watt kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

chubs

Post by chubs » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:50 am

What are the speacs on that LP you have pictured....

J.DavisNJ

Post by J.DavisNJ » Fri May 02, 2008 2:50 pm

Hey guys,

Are the 1 watt resistors still necessary on V4 and V5 if I go with the Larry/Mark PPIMV??

thanks

-Joe

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Mon May 05, 2008 5:35 am

You mean the 5k6 swamp resistors if so - yes 8)
Neil

mwm523

Post by mwm523 » Mon May 26, 2008 10:05 am

chubs wrote:What are the speacs on that LP you have pictured....
It's an '07 R8 with Dr. Vintage wiring kit, Wolfetone Dr. V pickups, Pigtail TP studs, and Pigtail ABR bridge. My desert island guitar for sure.
-Mike

flip
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: My 50W Build! (with pics) - COMPLETE!!!

Post by flip » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:56 am

Great build...I too just finished a 45 a couple months back and a 50 watter is on the horizon. Nice job!!

mwm523

Post by mwm523 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:41 pm

Thanks flip, good luck with the 50W build!

In case anyone's interested, I thought I'd post some new pics of my 50W. It's been through a lot of changes since the initial build... I guess you could say it's had an extreme makeover... :lol:

Since the initial build, I changed it to bass spec, changed from Sozo standards to Sozo premiums, changed back to lead spec, changed Sozos to Mustards, changed the electrolytics on the board to BC, changed ALL resistors to AB carbon comps, later changed all plate resistors, power supply resistors, and resistors in the bias circuit back to carbon film and metal oxide, changed diode for fancy one :lol:, changed mixer cap and tone stack cap to 560pf Lemcos, changed 47pf fizz cap to Lemco dogbone, changed screen grid resistors to Welwyn 1K 7Watt. Oh, and I removed the PPIMV.

Bright channel coupling cap is 0.0022uf (for now, trying it to see if I like it), and PI couplers are 0.027uf (ran out of 0.022uf and they're too damn expensive!). No bright cap on Vol1.

I'm really happy with the sound of this amp now 8). Here she is:

-Mike

JDW3

Post by JDW3 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:28 pm

Looks awesome with those mustards?

Any clips with the new setup?

mwm523 wrote:Thanks flip, good luck with the 50W build!

In case anyone's interested, I thought I'd post some new pics of my 50W. It's been through a lot of changes since the initial build... I guess you could say it's had an extreme makeover... :lol:

Since the initial build, I changed it to bass spec, changed from Sozo standards to Sozo premiums, changed back to lead spec, changed Sozos to Mustards, changed the electrolytics on the board to BC, changed ALL resistors to AB carbon comps, later changed all plate resistors, power supply resistors, and resistors in the bias circuit back to carbon film and metal oxide, changed diode for fancy one :lol:, changed mixer cap and tone stack cap to 560pf Lemcos, changed 47pf fizz cap to Lemco dogbone, changed screen grid resistors to Welwyn 1K 7Watt. Oh, and I removed the PPIMV.

Bright channel coupling cap is 0.0022uf (for now, trying it to see if I like it), and PI couplers are 0.027uf (ran out of 0.022uf and they're too damn expensive!). No bright cap on Vol1.

I'm really happy with the sound of this amp now 8). Here she is:

JDW3

Post by JDW3 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:37 pm

mwm523 wrote:Thanks flip, good luck with the 50W build!

I'm really happy with the sound of this amp now 8). Here she is:]

Where is everyone?

What was your synopsis on the AB res? Carbon film much quieter? I just picked up my 50w kit and I upgraded to Sozo caps and AB res. Digging in tonight!

Why did you change again to Mustards? And remove the PPIMV?

Structo

Post by Structo » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:30 pm

Wow!

That's a lot of changes! :shock:

I hope you are satisfied now. :lol:

But is sure is a lot of fun tweaking an amp and finally getting it where it makes you happy.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!

Kramer

Post by Kramer » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:42 pm

That looks sweet. It sure looks a hell of a lot different; night and day almost. Damn good work on that build..

Structo

Post by Structo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:09 pm

Sorry if I am critiquing too much but I did notice a turret that looks to be missing some solder.

I've circled it in the photo.
Attachments
50w-sm02.jpg
50w-sm02.jpg (29.63 KiB) Viewed 14025 times
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!

fusionbear

Post by fusionbear » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:30 pm

I ended up with this amp in a trade and it is an awesome build, but I changed it a little bit. Went back to a 500pf on the treble tone stack and removed the bright cap on volume 1. Also, added solder to that one point that was noted.

After:
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u223 ... G_1805.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u223 ... G_1806.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u223 ... G_1807.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you are wondering why I did that, its because it was a little too gainy and trebly for my taste. By going back to the stock Metro values, it is more to my liking... :mrgreen:
Amps: diy SLO, Splawn QR, YBA-1
Cabs: Scumback, Rockit, Deizel
Speakers: Scumback M75, Cel. V30, wgs hm75
Guitars: Suhr, B.C. Rich

fusionbear

Post by fusionbear » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:52 am

Here is a short clip of the amp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6J5ByPYaxM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amps: diy SLO, Splawn QR, YBA-1
Cabs: Scumback, Rockit, Deizel
Speakers: Scumback M75, Cel. V30, wgs hm75
Guitars: Suhr, B.C. Rich

Am_I_Evil

Post by Am_I_Evil » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:30 am

Sounds awesome!