Is a 50 Watt Plexi for me?

Get support and show off your MetroAmp 50 Watt kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Blues Rocker
Just the numbers in order: 7

Is a 50 Watt Plexi for me?

Post by Blues Rocker » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:26 pm

Hey guys,
I've successfully completed two awesome Metroamp JTM-45's. :D Both were purchased by touring pros and no longer with me. I like the -45 for all the reasons most people do: amazing cleans, attitude when pushed, reasonably usefull wattage, smaller head case.

I'm thinking of going to a 50 watt Plexi now for a different flavor. I love to play my roots music--classic rock, ala Clapton, Hendrix, Dobbies, Thin Lizzy, Queen.

I'm a huge blues rock enthusiast and am now setting up a home recording studio.

The "problem" is, I own a vintage, mint condition Musicman 112 Sixty Five (EL34 Telefunkens). I'm wondering if I might be covering the same territory with the 50 watt Plexi. Would you recommend the 50 watt or another Metroamp kit build for my classic blues rock style?

I've been using an Avatar 2x12 with G12-65's. It's now on tour with one of the pros, but I would now like to try a 4x12 with Celestion Blues or Greenbacks, or even a combination. Has anyone combined Blues with Greenbacks?

I'd be interested in your input. Thanks in advance!

Blues Rocker

Re: Is a 50 Watt Plexi for me?

Post by Blues Rocker » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:19 am

Wow! 38 views and no input? Maybe I need to write shorter posts, huh?!

Anyone?

reggyboy1970

Post by reggyboy1970 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:34 am

what's your question?

OnTheFritz

Post by OnTheFritz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:37 am

When you mention Clapton and Hendrix, 100 watters come to mind.
Duane Allman played a 50 watt bass, but he wasn't mentioned.

The early 100 watters were still bass spec'd, so maybe that's the angle you're looking for.

On a 50 or a 100 it's Uber-easy to swap between bass and lead specs, especially when it's a DIY.
Just order the *lead*, and then it's just a few components to make it a bass spec.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down' " - Bob Newhart

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:29 pm

I agreed with 'reggyboy1970' when I read your post :wink: , wasn't sure exactly what you were asking.

Personally for what you describe I would build a 1987 spec 50watter. Leave off the bright cap use only 0.022uF couplers (or if you use mustards 0.018uF are cheaper, but not a 0.0022 on lead channel) and not use the second 0.68uF on V2, use 47k NFB on 8ohm tap and use 0.033uF output PI couplers (again mustards of that value or 0.039uF are cheaper).

That will give a very versatile 50watter that, with a little knob twiddling and use of a LarMar PPIMV will cover most of the bases you describe above.
For speakers and what you describe I would use x4 G12M greenbacks or equivalent Scumbacks or for portability a pair of Scumbacks M75 but rated at 65watts in an off centre slightly oversize open/closed back (convertable) 2x12 (like Fender mount their speakers :wink: ), oh and weber beam blockers work well too 8) .
Neil

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:02 pm

I've always wanted to check out a JTM50 type, which (correct me if I'm wrong) would be a tube rectified EL34 amp. AKA, the Black Flag transitional one? It always sounded like something I'd want to do.

You could get the 'sag' w/tube rect, and still change lead and bass specs to taste.

I've heard talk of creating a switchable tube/solid state rectification too, so it might be a really versatile amp all over.
dave

Blues Rocker

Post by Blues Rocker » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:30 pm

Would you recommend the 50 watt or another Metroamp kit build for my classic blues rock style?

I've been using an Avatar 2x12 with G12-65's. It's now on tour with one of the pros, but I would now like to try a 4x12 with Celestion Blues or Greenbacks, or even a combination. Has anyone combined Blues with Greenbacks?

These were my questions, albeit embedded with what I thought was useful info.

Thanks for the info. I'm still interested if anyone has mixed Greenbacks and Blues successfully in a 4x. I happen to like both but don't know if they'd go well together.

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:19 am

Blues Rocker wrote:Would you recommend the 50 watt or another Metroamp kit build for my classic blues rock style?

Yes, depends if you like the sag in power amp whether you use valve (JTM) or diode (JMP). I do not particularly but you can switch like the Cornell.

Thanks for the info. I'm still interested if anyone has mixed Greenbacks and Blues successfully in a 4x. I happen to like both but don't know if they'd go well together.
I have mixed blues and M greenbacks in a 4x12 but it did not work for me. I also tried a quad of blues with a 50watter but it lacked a lot of bottom end for me. I like Blues in my AC30 and I have a pair of Golds in my Bluesbreaker combo. Blues and Ms are a bit too middy for me. I do have a Gold and a Scumback H30 in a 50watt combo which work pretty well together. In general my default cab is my 68/69 straight basket weave with G12H30 75hz prerolas :wink:
Neil

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by demonufo » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:17 pm

I've mixed modern Bluebacks and Heritage H30W greenbacks and found it a little bit on the harsh side. It got better as the heritages broke in, but still a little bit lacking in something.
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!