Check out this KILLER Metro combo!

Get support and show off your MetroAmp 50 Watt kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

DarrenD
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Check out this KILLER Metro combo!

Post by DarrenD » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:11 am

This arrived today unexpectedly early, and I JUST got home within the last 4 hours. I have been playing it ever since. Dave (yngwie308), graciously helped me think this special recipe. A young fool such as myself can't think of something this cool! I salute all of you purists for you knowledge and appreciation for these amps. If it wasn't for Dave, I would still be playing my pos JCM2000 for years. Sad, I know!

Ok, enough rambling. Here are some pics and specs:

-1986 bass circuit
-FX loop mod
-EL34 Mullard upgrade
-NOS A-B resistors
-F&T upgrade
-MV mod
-minus signal caps
-Celestion Golds 2x12, 8Ω
-Sozos

http://s908.photobucket.com/albums/ac28 ... it%201986/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't even begin to describe how this amp will take me to new levels in playing. I never thought I could get such awesome sounds from it.

This thing is a beast :!: It weighs around 85 lbs. It's those damn celestion golds I tell ya! I'm currently making a road case for it. She will be playing infront of a 2,000 crowd this next weekend (August 6th). I will camcord the concert and post videos afterward see everyone can see.

A very special thanks to Dave (yngwie308) for helping me think this one up. This beast will last me a lifetime and will make an amazing gigging amp. Metro Dave (W. Mammoth) was a very big help in answering questions along the way. Jim did an amazing job at building this amp. Thanks bud!

Stay tuned for videos in the near future.

yngwie308

Re: Check out this KILLER Metro combo!

Post by yngwie308 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:19 am

It's great to see a young player like Darren, who is a good guy discover the pleasures of a killer Metro.. :D :D !
The guys at Metro did a fantastic job for him and he can't wait to post clips soon.
I talked with him on the phone tonight and he told me his ears are still ringing..
The Celestion Golds really do the trick apparently and I told him of the joys of having a touch sensitive amp like this and he is really loving it.
The 1986 bass spec, combined with Vintage Sozo's, A&B carbon comps and F&T filter caps, plus a M/V, Mullards and effects loop, what more could you need!!
There isn't a Metro logo on, because in his excitement, he didn't discover it in the package, as he also did with the EL 34's as he first powered it up sans power tubes.. :lol: it was quiet alright!
I thought this was a killer combo and a really versatile amp for all his needs, he really did play it for 4 hours straight.
You are welcome Darren, it was my pleasure to help you.
Dave
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Coot Boy
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Coot Boy » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:19 pm

I recently converted my JTM 50 to the same specs, SS recto, upped the filtering, the amp already has the CC resistors and Sozo vintage caps, XF2s and old pre tubes into either pre rolas or M75 scummies. Not using FnTs though but the amp is just killer. I have a JTM 45 as well and much prefer it to the JTM 50 but now the 50 is better than the 45 IMO. Either way, a great amp indeed.

DarrenD

Post by DarrenD » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:21 pm

Well my new mixer came in today, so I tried out some recording with my Metro. Of course, the vid clip is processed and I didn't really mess with the amp settings too much. I put this together in about 6 minutes going through the normal amp clean/dirty and then some pedals. Enjoy.....more to come with backtracks and such.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pFmXi-OJlc[/youtube]

yngwie308

Post by yngwie308 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:19 pm

Thanks for posting Darren, the bass response from the amp and speaker combo is awesome, was that a humbucker loaded guitar you were using, I could hear a tremolo in their.
Great to hear an old grey MXR Flanger and the MXR Carbon Copy delay siund great through the Fx loop.
Good to hear a little SS/Idol in there, this combo is a monster and I can only imagine it through a True Replica Metropoulos 4X12".
Treble, mids, this amp has it all, you were telling me you plugged into the second channel or Input II of the first channel ?
Do a backing tracked clip with your mixer, that would be great. I am happy to hear this amp finally after the wait for it's birth!
Dave
http://www.vintagewashburn.com/Electric ... evens.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treblebooster.net/bolin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DarrenD

Post by DarrenD » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:27 pm

This time it was hooked up to the I input. The second ones make a totally different sound with HUGE bass - very unique. I usually turn my Roxbox Boiling point treble quite high and it gets a nice sound. I still have to get an EH reverb pedal, and that will definitely add to the mix when it comes. I'm also going to throw in an old MXR distortion+ to my pedal board that I have laying around.