UK voltage vs US

Get support and show off your MetroAmp 50 Watt kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

univalve1234
Just the numbers in order: 7

UK voltage vs US

Post by univalve1234 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:46 pm

Does it make a difference in tone running amps in different voltages? Im running my amp at 240v here in the UK If i plugged my 50 watt kit in a stepdown transformer after rewiring the PT for 120 vots , would it sound different?
thanks

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: UK voltage vs US

Post by demonufo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:19 pm

Well, if the voltages coming out of the secondaries on the PT remain the same after switching the tap on the primaries, there shouldn't be any difference.

But do you really want that extra transformer in your power supply? I certainly wouldn't. The only thing it can affect by using a different tap is by the voltage in the secondaries rising or dropping. There are better ways to drop the voltages for sure.

However, with all that said, you will notice no more difference by doing this, than you will notice from the wall voltage rising and falling as it does throughout the day I suspect. So this might just be a pointless exercise.

The other possible factor is the current capability of the dropdown transformer may not deliver as easily as it will without it, which could in theory induce a bit of sag, as the voltages will drop as the current "maxes out" so to speak.
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

univalve1234

Post by univalve1234 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:38 pm

thanks for the answer :wink:
I was only asking cause im thinking of getting an UA with the 100 volt tap option in which case i would have to rewire the amp for 120 operation.
"There are better ways to drop the voltages for sure"
Can you elaborate?
thanks again

Roe

Post by Roe » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:21 am

marshalls are infamous for sounding better at euro voltages than us voltages.
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

elronhoover

Post by elronhoover » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:50 am

Roe wrote:marshalls are infamous for sounding better at euro voltages than us voltages.
Thats interesting, does the 50hz vs. 60hz factor into this at all?

Dave
guess you only get one chance in life to play a song that goes like this.....

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by demonufo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:17 pm

elronhoover wrote:
Roe wrote:marshalls are infamous for sounding better at euro voltages than us voltages.
Thats interesting, does the 50hz vs. 60hz factor into this at all?

Dave
I'm only guessing but I should imagine the frequency plays the bigger part in this if it is true, in which case, it would be irrelevant as compared to transforming from 240 to 120 than back up to the voltages in the secondary windings. But this is an unnecessary extra link in the tonal chain IMO.
univalve1234 wrote:I was only asking cause im thinking of getting an UA with the 100 volt tap option in which case i would have to rewire the amp for 120 operation.
Ahhhh, now we get the full story, I understand a little better.
univalve1234 wrote: Im running my amp at 240v here in the UK If i plugged my 50 watt kit in a stepdown transformer after rewiring the PT for 120 vots , would it sound different?
thanks
Possibly, but nowhere near as differently as it will sound by then supplying it with only 100 volts. Do a little research on variacs and brown sound before deciding to go down this route.
univalve1234 wrote:
"There are better ways to drop the voltages for sure"
Can you elaborate?
There are several threads on here going into this. I'll try and help later. Right now it's gone midnight and I need sleeeeepppzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

Swerve

Post by Swerve » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:07 am

Is there anything that HAS to be changed in the Plexi 50 for European (Finland) usage other than changing the power transformer primary to use the 240VAC tap?
- Bil

"You are what you is." - fz

elronhoover

Post by elronhoover » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:21 am

Swerve wrote:Is there anything that HAS to be changed in the Plexi 50 for European (Finland) usage other than changing the power transformer primary to use the 240VAC tap?
Change the mains fuse to half the value that it is for 120vac..

Dave
guess you only get one chance in life to play a song that goes like this.....

PCollen

Post by PCollen » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:58 pm

univalve1234 wrote:Does it make a difference in tone running amps in different voltages? Im running my amp at 240v here in the UK If i plugged my 50 watt kit in a stepdown transformer after rewiring the PT for 120 vots , would it sound different?
thanks
I ran an amp on a 220>110 step down transformer while in Germany years ago and it worked and sounded fine. The 50Hz caused it to hum a little more, or maybe it was transformer induced hum, but nothing to get concerned about.

paulster

Post by paulster » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:10 am

You're likely to get a bit more sag on 120V than 240V because the power transformer is tapped and not overly well specified, so you're only using half of the primary winding at 120V and trying to pull twice the current through it, whereas it'll be more generous with current supply at 240V.

A lot of new amps use dual primaries and put them in parallel for 120V or series for 240V for this reason, since it's cheaper than effectively over specifying the transformer for the benefit of the 120V countries.