MID 70S Marshall 50w JMP Service issue?

Get support and show off your MetroAmp 50 Watt kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

bluze81
Just the numbers in order: 7

MID 70S Marshall 50w JMP Service issue?

Post by bluze81 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:55 am

hey guys I am working on a mid 70s JMP For a friend,I am having trouble with a Loud ground problem, When tesing amp guitar plugged in when I take hands off the guitar strings the amp just hums and hisses very loud, I have tested all grounds from the amp inputs all seems in order, I know the guitar and cable are fine, this is a very loud hiss,when I touch the amp chassis it stops, Have tried all i can think of to find a broken ground wire or cold solder joint ETC, have never ran into a problem as this on any builds or repairs, I have even tried a complete new set of tubes a problem persists, any help or suggestion would be welcomed at this point. thanks, Steve

axeman
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: MID 70S Marshall 50w JMP Service issue?

Post by axeman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:17 pm

The ground of the AC socket of your house is not grounded correctly.

SDM
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: MID 70S Marshall 50w JMP Service issue?

Post by SDM » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:03 pm

axeman wrote:The ground of the AC socket of your house is not grounded correctly.
Do check the above, if wall socket is correct though, check the power cable itself next. Aside from an obvious missing prong or such, wires can/do break inside it. Check its ground connection inside the chassis, check continuity of ground plug/prong to the chassis with a meter (can do same for neutral and hot, though to power switch rather than chassis). Amp must of course be unplugged from the wall to do this, be sure to move/bend the power cord around a bit while testing so to see if an intermittent loss of continuity occurs (if nothing shows up immediately).