Bias Adjustment From Outside of Chassis

Get support and show off your MetroAmp 50 Watt kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

waggclan
Just the numbers in order: 7

Bias Adjustment From Outside of Chassis

Post by waggclan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:02 pm

I am building a 50 Watt Lead Spec kit and would like to install the 3 input jacks on the back of the chassis for the multimeter probes, a bias adjustment knob on top of the chassis and buy the appropriate bias controller that interfaces with the board. Does anyone have a link to instructions regarding this type of bias adjustment mod? I know where I can buy the 3 input jacks and the 10:1 locking adjustment dial; but I need help finding where to buy the bias controller that interfaces with the board and connects to the outside adjustment knob.

Thanks.

waggclan

Re: Bias Adjustment From Outside of Chassis

Post by waggclan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:21 pm

I realize this would be taking the build outside of "Period Correct" specs and all; but it would sure make tube swapping a lot quicker and easier.

Any comments, in support of, against, your own particular experience in doing this modification or any of the information requested in my original post will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steve
Last edited by waggclan on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by demonufo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:37 pm

I always thought it a bad idea, no matter how it was implemented, locking or non-locking. Easier to put the pot on the top of the chassis rather than risk even a locking pot that could easily be overcome, but you'll still need to remove the back this way. The downside of your idea is that you have the bias resistors in there permanently. Just as easy to use bias probes as it is to plug your meter into your amp.
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

waggclan

Post by waggclan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:51 pm

demonufo wrote:I always thought it a bad idea, no matter how it was implemented, locking or non-locking. Easier to put the pot on the top of the chassis rather than risk even a locking pot that could easily be overcome, but you'll still need to remove the back this way. The downside of your idea is that you have the bias resistors in there permanently. Just as easy to use bias probes as it is to plug your meter into your amp.
First off, thanks a lot! I see Reinhardt and Komet Concordes using this type of biasing setup and it just looks very clean and convenient. Pulling the chassis out of the head each time I swap tubes or want to rebias is a relatively small price to pay. I mean, I'm not going to be swapping out tubes on a daily or even regular basis. I just thought it to be a rather clean looking and convenient way to get tube swapping and bias maintenance done. Your comments make a lot of sense.

Thanks, Steve

Ted B

Post by Ted B » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:42 pm

I've done this:
http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=36647

Retaining the 1-ohm resistors on the tube cathodes made no difference whatsoever in the sound of my amp, which is expected. What does alter the sound is when one biases using this method, simply because most of the time it leads to an erroneously high bias measurement. This is not the fault of the method, but of the measuring instrument. I witnessed this first-hand shortly after completing the amp. Unless you have a very good (read: expensive) multimeter, I would abandon this idea.

What I suggest doing is mounting a multiturn, linear bias pot with screw-driven, locking control (check Ebay) on the back panel, and using a conventional bias probe (e.g. Alessandro) to bias the amp. Not using a knob prevents an unintentional 'adjustment', and a conventional bias probe just plain works better with consumer-grade multimeters.

I also have a Komet 60w, and while it does also have this provision (as you mentioned), I still use a probe for the same reasons.

I hope this helps.