50 watt chassis depth

Get support and show off your MetroAmp 50 Watt kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

hdahs
Just the numbers in order: 7

50 watt chassis depth

Post by hdahs » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:43 pm

If anyone knows, or could take the time to measure, what is the depth of a Metro 50 watt chassis, front to back, including faceplates? I recently finished a build using Metro's instructions, and Ceriatone chassis and faceplates. This unit measures 6-15/16" front to back including faceplates.

I ordered a Smallbox Head cab from Splawn, that while beautiful and well built, my chassis is a little too deep for this cab, as the rear cover does not fit flush. I'm not sure whether Ceriatones chassis dimensions are different that a typical Marshall, or whether the Splawn is built to a different spec. It would probably fit a metal panel amp perfectly, but the plexi panels make it too deep. I've got an email in with Gabkits about this, as their headcabs are presumably tailored for the Ceriatone chassis.

In any case, there may be a beautiful purple Plexi small headbox for sale on here shortly. Splawn apparently liked it as it is now the actual model on their website.

Thanks for your time.

Harold

ol foot

Re: 50 watt chassis depth

Post by ol foot » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:05 am

The Ceriatone panels are a lot thicker than most. They are very nicely made ( Ibought a Black Flag faceplate from Nik) How much does your chassis stick out? Sparky here used to make panels. I'm not sure if he's still doing it or not. I think Valvestorm stocks them.

If it's more than a mil or 2 you may need to get a different headbox. FWIW the Ceriatone chassis and faceplates I used fit fine in a Metro headbox.

hdahs

Post by hdahs » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:45 pm

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, where the amp pushes outward on the back cover, it sticks out about 1/8" or so, so definitely too much.

Heard back from Gabkits. Their cabs are tailored for the Ceriatone chassis and the guy that owns the cab shop told me it would fit properly. He said they are built, by design, to have a small gap between the back cover and the chassis, which presumably will facilitate a little more airflow. I guess I should have went with them to begin with, as Ceriatone endorses them.

Know anybody looking for a brand new Smallbox headcab by Splawn in purple tolex? :)

TWANGGG
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by TWANGGG » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:04 pm

Hi Harold,

I just dealt with exactly the same issue! When I test fitted my just completed 50w build in my custom built headbox the back cover stuck out about 3/16". I was pretty disappointed until I realized there was more than enough room to shim the front cover out that depth and it now fits perfectly!

I hope your headbox has some wiggle room too. I'll get a pic for you now while I have it open that shows how I did it...

My Marstran chassis including the ValveStorm faceplates measures 6 7/8" deep on the dot, btw.

I used "stir sticks" for the shims and they worked well. I was able to stack them to get just the right spacing.
IMG_1366 (Medium).jpg
(33.86 KiB) Downloaded 792 times

hdahs

Post by hdahs » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:03 am

Thanks my friend. That is a great idea. I just checked my headcab, and unfortunately, there is a lip built into the bottom front of the cab, that cannot be moved. Guess I will be selling this cab, and getting one from Gabkits (Stage Craft Cabs).

Would love to see pics of yours when it is done. How do you like the Marstran chassis, and faceplates from Valvestorm?

Thanks again!

Harold