Built a 50 watter . . .

Get support and show off your MetroAmp 50 Watt kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

somethin'else
Just the numbers in order: 7

Built a 50 watter . . .

Post by somethin'else » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:02 pm

. . . a few months ago. I love it. Ceriatone welded chassis, Valvestorm mechanicals, MagComp Trannies, Brian's board always a beauty, Sparky's plates and a few vintage goodies too . . . some o' TT's pre's, old GE & Sylvanias, and new EH6CA7s.

Larry Grounding.
Put the PI cap inside the chassis, and wanted to try diodes on the board.
Pretty much Freidman specs, going for a '68-ish type of thing.
It's 50 mains, 16 screens, 32 pre's and 32 p.i., IIRC :roll:

Couldn't get a head box for it (spent my kern building it!), so I cut one of the 2x12's I made to make a combo out of it.
Which isn't finished, but "works fine" in the meantime.
Thank god for collapsible gear carts!
Plan to get some clips up fairly soon.

OH, I really wanna get some clips up because I recently acquired Brian's 50w Dagnall OT wound to 100w specs.
I am really interested in that and can't wait to hear a comparison. That will definitely be a shootout worth doin'.

Anyway, here's the only pics I took. Don't mind the mess in the dogshed.
Didn't even clean it up inside I was too excited to fire it up!
:toast:

dave

Thorny

Re: Built a 50 watter . . .

Post by Thorny » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:05 am

Looks really nice and really clean. Something to be proud of :rock: Cant wait to hear it.

TWANGGG
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by TWANGGG » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:53 pm

Hey Dave, nice job on the amp! Look forward to clips too...

You've got to see my new build, it's so similar to yours. Dopelganger! Lol, check it out. http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... 07&start=0

Are you getting enough range to bias the EH6CA7's with your setup as is? I had to drop the range resistor to get above 60% is the reason for asking.

somethin'else

Post by somethin'else » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:34 pm

Hey TWANGGG, Thanks man! Yes, funny you mention that, I did have to drop a resistor too to get bias up . . . can't remember! :lol: I think for some odd reason it was to get them to drop down 'cause I was mildly scared they were gonna blow. :palm: iirc, it has been a few months now.

Finally got some clips up for a pickup magnet swap test. Here's the link to that. It was fun. Warning: all VH licks! With a slow hand to boot! :lol:

Anyway, if you dig a little more in my Soundcloud page there's a few clips of a Metro 1987Lead I had about three years ago too. Sold it 'cause it was pre-built and I wanted to build my own.

Dude! Very nice, clean build there TWANGGG! What's the filtering on yours? And those square chunky chicklets, .068's?
You gotta post some clips. :D Look forward to it!
dave

TWANGGG
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by TWANGGG » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:24 pm

somethin'else wrote:Hey TWANGGG, Thanks man! Yes, funny you mention that, I did have to drop a resistor too to get bias up . . . can't remember! :lol: I think for some odd reason it was to get them to drop down 'cause I was mildly scared they were gonna blow. :palm: iirc, it has been a few months now.
I dropped the bias range resistor from 47K to 27K to get the adjustment I needed. 33K would have likely been perfect though if I had one on hand.
Finally got some clips up for a pickup magnet swap test. Here's the link to that. It was fun. Warning: all VH licks! With a slow hand to boot! :lol:

Anyway, if you dig a little more in my Soundcloud page there's a few clips of a Metro 1987Lead I had about three years ago too. Sold it 'cause it was pre-built and I wanted to build my own.
I'll check those clips out now, thanks. :listen:
Dude! Very nice, clean build there TWANGGG! What's the filtering on yours? And those square chunky chicklets, .068's?
You gotta post some clips. :D Look forward to it!
Thanks Dave, I really took my time and enjoyed the build, my first btw so I was being really careful as it was all new to me. Actually miss having a project going now, so...hmmm, what's next?! I'm hooked!

Filtering would be 50/50 mains, 50 screens, 50 pi, and those separate 16's on the board for the preamp. I guess I followed the Metro 50W kit spec filtering with the exception of the preamp. I'm going to explore dropping the filtering to more like the VH amp specs as per Dave F. Well, more like yours I guess, huh?

I'll get some clips up soon too...

Cheers, Simon