Nervous about building my first amp

Get support and show off your MetroAmp 50 Watt kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Major Sparky
Just the numbers in order: 7

Nervous about building my first amp

Post by Major Sparky » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:06 pm

Just a quick question. I've built a handful of pedals and so I thought I'd take on something bigger and build an amp. It's something that I've been wanting to do for a while. I ordered a kit from Triode Electronics for the 50 watt 1987 Lead Plexi. I know it's not a Metroamp Kit but I hope that doesn't matter to you guys.

It should be getting here tomorrow and I'm really excited for it. But thinking about it today I've begun to psych myself out and worry about whether or not I'll mess up. I know that I'm competent enough to follow a layout and solder well, but I'm worried I'm going to make some mistake.

Can anyone give me some important things to double check and look for while building an amp?

I'll be following this layout from triode http://site.triodestore.com/50WPlexiLayout.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And using these instructions from Metroamp as a guide http://www.metroamp.com/downloads/5...NSTRUCTIONS.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TL;DR Starting my amp build tomorrow, starting to second guess my ability. Can someone give me some common mistakes to look out for while building my amp?

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Nervous about building my first amp

Post by Scumback Speakers » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:25 am

Sure. Measure every cap and resistor to make sure they're within spec, and put them in the right place on the board.

Follow the instructions from Metro to the letter. Do not deviate.

Twist every wire just like you see in the pics. Why? Because it makes for a consistent amp build with no issues.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, but do not rush your build. When you get frustrated (for any reason) walk away, take a break, or knock off for the night.

Don't drink and solder.

Good luck!
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

fillmore nyc
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by fillmore nyc » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:15 pm

Scumback Speakers wrote:Don't drink and solder.
Potentially resulting is the universally dreaded "SWI" charge from the Metro cops, something you NEVER want.
It'll screw up your life for real!!

:hide:

:stars:

(BTW, welcome to the forum, Major Sparky!!)

:mrgreen:

rynugz007

Post by rynugz007 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:04 am

I just did my first build (50 watt 1987- metro instructions, parts from valvestorm, marstran, watts..etc)

I used georges parts list and sourced everything out. Problem is not everything matched up, the turret board had eyelets instead of turrets and things were spaced differently than in georges kit. Components were different, my power transformer wires weren't the same as georges. not everything was black and white. It wasn't exactly a lego kit, that's all I'm saying. You might have to go over everything before hand and kinda adjust for this and that.

for instance, I noticed the chassis from triode doesn't have holes on top for the filter caps? It has 2 holes for output tubes and another hole for maybe a rectifer? Maybe you could use that for one cap and install the other on the side??? I don't know, maybe someone else can shine some light on that?

well lit work space is a must, the right tools are a must (good set of wire strippers). keeping the tip of your iron clean is very important. Sand off gunk before use, hit the sponge between every connection.