50w JMP transfomer choice

Get support and show off your MetroAmp 50 Watt kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

leonard.gulyas
Just the numbers in order: 7

50w JMP transfomer choice

Post by leonard.gulyas » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:32 pm

Dear Members,

Maybe I am pushing the boundaries of the metro forum but I would really like to know your opinion on the following matter:

Which tranformer set would be the better choice for a 68-69' JMP50 build from the following elements:

OT: 784-139
PT: 1202-118 (Laydown mounting) 
Choke: C1999 3H

Marstran or M e r r e n, please consider that the latter would be a 100$ more with shipping.

I would really like to hear your opinions.

Regards

neikeel

Re: 50w JMP transfomer choice

Post by neikeel » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:29 pm

I have an absolutely excellent JMP 50 clone (built as a 2 in 1) with Marstran transformers, easily as good as my original '68.

Having said that I have not tried Chris's 50w trannies (his JTM45/100 OT was excellent) but have had supply issues regarding other stuff (several month delivery time after payment).

So if you want a quick response and delivery with a high quality then I would have to say Brian Wallace at Marstran.

Others may suggest otherwise, but that is my current experience, maybe when I get the PT I ordered I may change my view :wink: .
Neil

leonard.gulyas

Post by leonard.gulyas » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:56 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, I had the same feeling about Chris's way of business (not answering mails or with several days of delays). I don't want to wait ages for an already paid transformer.

Then the choice is made: Marstran. He seems to be a nice guy anyways.

Regards

TWANGGG
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by TWANGGG » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:02 pm

leonard.gulyas wrote:Then the choice is made: Marstran. He seems to be a nice guy anyways.
I built just what you're planning a while back using all Marstran's. Completely smooth deal from start to finish, and super happy with the results. Keep us posted!

hdahs

Post by hdahs » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:20 am

Another vote for Marstran here. The Metro clone I built sounds amazing, and I am certain Brian's OT is a big part of the equation. Communication, stock, and shipping were also first rate.

In fairness, I've neither tried or heard the other guy's product, although his users speak very highly of his iron.

leonard.gulyas

Post by leonard.gulyas » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:52 am

If you guys interested I started a thread about my build with the Marstran transformers.

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=39735
It is a pleasure doing business with Brian and he tops his excellent service off with a very fast e-mail support. :champ:

Regards