Lar/Mar MV tone problems

Get support and show off your MetroAmp 50 Watt kit builds.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Major Sparky
Just the numbers in order: 7

Lar/Mar MV tone problems

Post by Major Sparky » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:35 pm

Ok, so I built a 50 watt with materials from triode. Fired it up and everything is great. It sounds killer, and isn't too noisy either. I do have a minor issue with random feedback happening though, but that doesn't bother me now.

I decided to put in the Lar/Mar MV because I wasn't sure if I was going to shell out the money for an attenuator or power scaling. I read a lot of good reviews on here about that MV so I was hopeful that after having that installed my gain needs would be satisfied while I jammed at home. Well I've installed it and I'm running into a problem. Everything works right to my knowledge but it doesn't sound good. Whenever I use the MV the distortion sounds thin, farty, and kind of harsh. Is there anything I can do to tweak this? Maybe I didn't do something right?

SteadyEddie

Re: Lar/Mar MV tone problems

Post by SteadyEddie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:15 pm

Did you use shielded cable? Ground the shield at one end?

Janglin_Jack

Post by Janglin_Jack » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:32 pm

Major Sparky wrote:Ok, so I built a 50 watt with materials from triode. Fired it up and everything is great. It sounds killer, and isn't too noisy either. I do have a minor issue with random feedback happening though, but that doesn't bother me now.

I decided to put in the Lar/Mar MV because I wasn't sure if I was going to shell out the money for an attenuator or power scaling. I read a lot of good reviews on here about that MV so I was hopeful that after having that installed my gain needs would be satisfied while I jammed at home. Well I've installed it and I'm running into a problem. Everything works right to my knowledge but it doesn't sound good. Whenever I use the MV the distortion sounds thin, farty, and kind of harsh. Is there anything I can do to tweak this? Maybe I didn't do something right?
Did you use the right value resistors nd dual concentric pot?

Mike

Major Sparky

Post by Major Sparky » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:13 am

Yes I'm sure I have the right values and I definitely used shielded cable. I got the parts from here, http://www.valvestorm.com/Amp%20Mods/LarMar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and followed the layout here, http://metroamp.com/wiki/index.php/Lar/Mar_PPI-MV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

demonufo
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by demonufo » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:11 am

They're pretty good, but any post phase inverter master volume sounds pretty crappy when throttled right back. IMO, the only way to get a big amp down to acceptable home levels is to use a little of the PPIMV and a bit of attenuation.
But even then, the speakers aren't working hard enough...
So I like purple, okay!!!!!!

83.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

Major Sparky

Post by Major Sparky » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:29 pm

I knew I wasn't going to get great tones, but I didn't think it would sound this bad. Especially after hearing about other people getting good results.

SteadyEddie

Post by SteadyEddie » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:46 pm

Mine sounds great around halfway and still very good the rest of the way down to whisper volumes.

Major Sparky

Post by Major Sparky » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:48 pm

Alright, I must have messed something up then. I'll go back and check over everything to make sure nothings misplaced.

MacGaden
Wiki Editor

Post by MacGaden » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:13 pm

Pictures would help...
MacG.

"Play it right, Dad ! No More Dwiddely Dwiddely !
My son Adam at 3 years old. Best advice I ever got..