Another clip of my custom built MetroAmp

Discuss your builds of MetroAmp Kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

DarrenD
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Another clip of my custom built MetroAmp

Post by DarrenD » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:48 pm

I made this clip trying to compare my two guitars which are identical except a pickup and fretboard, which I used the MetroAmp. Small-box '68 small box 50 Plexi Bass Circuit with Celestion Golds, MV, and FX loop. The effects are going through the front-end on this video. It's recording using a cheaper condenser mic so it really doesn't do justice (like most vintage amp demos), but for those of you interested in comparing rosewood/ebony fretboards this is a interesting video.

I borrowed a friend's newer Tubescreamer and under the right setting this amp can get PERFECT Gary Moore Wild Frontier tone. Especially when using EMGs. The roaring power of this amp is quite unique. My friend Dave thought the specs for me and it's really a holy grail. I feel like I cheated the system finding my perfect amp so young. It is hard to capture the beautiful dynamics on these amps with these simple recordings, but rest assured they are spectacular. I will have this amp for 50 years down the road.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r36UoILA ... er&list=UL[/youtube]

FourT6and2
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Another clip of my custom built MetroAmp

Post by FourT6and2 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:16 pm

Sounds pretty good. I think it's a little thin, though. I bet it would sound much better with Greenbacks instead of Golds. But could just be me (I prefer lots of mids). Also, I think for the sound you're going for, might want to tone down on the effects. They are a little overpowering.

But all in all, nice build. Sounds good! :)

DarrenD
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Another clip of my custom built MetroAmp

Post by DarrenD » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:06 am

In retrospect I should have used my SM57 instead of the cheaper condenser. There is just so much compression from the mic, then downsizing it to 192 .mp3, and then to non HD youtube video. The effects are surely powerful in it, especially since the flanger and delay are both going into the front end and not the FX loop. Kind of muddies things up a bit. Sometime down the road I'll swap in the JB to the ebony board for a real rosewood/ebony comparison.