FX loops coming to Metro.

Discuss your builds of MetroAmp Kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

SDM
Just the numbers in order: 13492

FX loops coming to Metro.

Post by SDM » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:41 pm

FX Loop kits coming soon!

As some of you know, I've been developing a new effects loop kit for Metro kits. Very glad to say they are soon to be available through Metro. Much thanks to George for making it possible to get these out to you.

This is an entirely new loop, designed specially for Metro kits and specifically with these classic Marshall circuits in mind. The idea here was to make a loop that truly left the tone, and just as importantly the "feel", of a cranked Super Lead unchanged. To not be able to hear any difference at all. Those with fine tuned ears know that's not an easy task. Even "good" loops are still audible or effect the feel in some way. You work very hard to achieve a certain tone, a loop should NOT change that. A tube loop may "sound good", but an ideal loop should not "sound" at all - the goal of this new loop.

There is nothing else out there like this loop, it's a new design using unique high voltage devices that actually run at high voltage. These little devices operate much like an "ideal" tube, but without all the drawbacks of a real tube (i.e. installing and wiring up a new socket, potential heater hum, tube noise, limited gain, lack of headroom, "coloration", etc..). Hundreds of volts of actual signal (way more than needed) can be buffered to true guitar/pedal level, then returned just as strong as where it started- distortion free. This is something no 12A-7 tube loop could do, forget about your typical SS loops. These devices will not clip the original signal, will not add distortion or compress the tone in your Metro amp. Even the signal phase is preserved through the loop.

To handle the extremely stringent demands these loops had to pass, these special high voltage SS devices were the absolute best choice. Nothing else comes close.

A bit about the specs now:

The loops are simple series loops and are set at a -10dBV level out (max). Designed to work with pedals primarily. Rack units may work fine, but check your gear's specs. Outboard gear requiring higher signal levels (0dB or higher) will impart it's own noise on the signal unacceptably, so won't be a good match for these loops. There are no send or return controls to worry about here, it's meant to be very simple to use. The switch is a true bypass switch, meaning the loop circuit is 100% bypassed. Kit boards are fully assembled, pre-tested and pre-adjusted. Only require simple install which will be a breeze for those that have built a kit. Manual tweaking of the level is possible via a small trimmer on the board to fine tune to your amp if needed.

The board is compact, supported fully by the loop jacks themselves only, so no need for any standoffs. Fits directly inside any Metro kit, small chassis or large. Boards incorporate through-plated holes, with pads on top and bottom sides, kind of like mini turrets for the parts. The copper traces and pads are extra thick as well, so they are designed with long term durability and reliability in mind. The board bottom is a ground plane which acts as a shield to the parts below, another strong advantage of a PCB design. Kits contain everything need for install, tools and solder aside.

Detailed installation instructions are available HERE for board revisions 1B-2B, HERE for board revision 3A. These instructions should be in the Wiki section eventually. You'll find the install is very simple and straightforward. These kits are suitable for any Metro style kit, JTM45 through 2203/2204. Instructions will be updated more specifically for JTM45 and 50 watt kit installations soon. Template/s mentioned in instructions are HERE and HERE.

I'd appreciate any forum members that are currently using one of these loops to share opinions on them here.

Last note for now, George and I are trying to figure out what to call these loops, a name that gets the uniqueness and transparency ideas across, so if anyone has any ideas, let em fly.
Attachments
Kit sm.JPG
(37.42 KiB) Downloaded 13254 times
Last edited by SDM on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.

gutpile

Re: FX loops coming to Metro.

Post by gutpile » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:20 pm

very nicely done Steve! :D
Metro Clips
Amps:Metro-(JTM45,50w,'69 spec 100w,45/100,100wMV,Bluesbreaker Combo),Orig. 65BFTR
Axes:LP Custom,Am. Strat,Am. Tele,61 SGRI

bmf5150

Post by bmf5150 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:27 pm

hey guys i have one of these effects loops in my plexi.i mainly use it for adding some reverb when im playing in my basement to get closer to the early VH sound.with the loop on i dont hear any tone difference what so ever,very transparent!!!i love my loop...i was a skeptic till i heard it!!
R.I.P My precious daughter Aubrey Marie May 20th to May 23rd 2006,we love and miss you!
My EVH sound clips.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7782093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ACDCG400

Post by ACDCG400 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:50 pm

tis is a stupid name maybe, but what about "transparaloop"?

=]

btw, how do i get one? has George put them on the store yet?
The mark of a good amp is that even when your fingers ain't cookin', your amp is. -Malcolm young

Where is the "balls" control? AH! here it is. why'd they label it volume?

Krank

Post by Krank » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:08 am

I got one of these loops a few weeks ago from Steve. I had a few questions about the loop at first, due to the fact that my main amp right now is a Rocco spec as per Rockstah’s threads in a small box. So I was worried that the loop would create noise or pick up noise from the extra gain stage especially in the limited amount of room in the 50 watt Metro head. Let me tell you that this loop did not disappoint, it went in easily with absolutely no problems, and to my ears has absolutely no effect on the tone at all. I wish I could post some pics for all you Metrohollics but I have just moved from Japan back to the states so all my gear is in shipment as I type this. Anyway I am totally stoked that George is going to start carrying these so I can buy a few more for the other Metro builds that I have. I don’t run a lot of FX but I have tried the loop with some reverb, chorus, delay, and phaser, all effects ran beautifully. This loop was the perfect complement to my amp. Awesome job Steve.

wdelaney72

Post by wdelaney72 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:30 am

I have this loop in 2 different builds and they work EXACTLY as described... COMPLETELY transparant. I didn't think it was possible, but it is. It's really quite amazing. If you want an FX loop, you can't go wrong with this loop...it works, it's easy to install, and as many of you already know, SDM is very gracious with his knowledge and can walk you through any installation issues.
Walter

"There's no great thing in being a soloist. I think the hardest thing is to play together with a lot of people, and do it right." - Angus Young, 1984

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:42 am

I'm really happy that we are going make this happen. This is the only loop I would even consider selling or using in my kits and builds.

The reason it works is because SDM found a component that allows full signal to pass. Normally, a Marshall circuit has about 80-90V P-P passing from the tone stack to the phase inverter input. Any loop based on an op amp can only deliver around 30V P-P max. Realistically, less than 30V, since the power supply is +15 and -15 volts. So you lose about 1/3 of the signal.
SDM's loop can pass full signal.

We just need a name (keep the suggestions coming!). I have enough components on hand to assemble (25) boards and SDM has (100) boards on the way. These will be available very soon. Once we have a name I can even list them for pre-order in the store.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

nikki-k

Post by nikki-k » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:59 am

InvisiLoop
Un-Real Loop
TLC (Transparent Loop Circuit)

I like the last one most... if it truly lives up to it ;)

bulatovic

Post by bulatovic » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:24 pm

Fantastic stuff guys! I reckon this thing will be included in my first Metro build! ( just to figure out where to get the money from and what to build :mrgreen: )

SDM-MetroLoop maybe?
Metro'd Marshall 1979 Super Bass / '80 1960A G12H30 55Hz
1974x 18w Clone - Trinity/Ceriatone

2008 Gibson Les Paul 1958 VOS
2005 Fender Stratocaster

Beavis

Post by Beavis » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:50 pm

I'm there dude.
"Humanoid's in trouble and it's scared out of its wits."

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:37 pm

Ballpark $$???

Can this be made to work in a 2061x Lead / Bass 20 watter?
I have a friend who just the other day asked if that were possible.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

chubs

Post by chubs » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:38 pm

I'd call it the S&M loop...

Or the Subservient Evil Gimp loop.

Or the Loopy-Loop (cause it's crazy how good it doesn't sound)

Hear no evil loop.... you hear none of that evil crap other loops have...

bmf5150

Post by bmf5150 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:03 pm

i love mine!!
R.I.P My precious daughter Aubrey Marie May 20th to May 23rd 2006,we love and miss you!
My EVH sound clips.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7782093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:42 pm

I've put a couple of Steve's prototypes in amps, and while all I did was test them, slap them on the tush and send them out the door, I couldn't discern any noise or tone degradation at all. It ALMOST made me think about putting a loop in one of my personal heads. ALMOST. :D :D

Great stuff, Steve!! :wink: Hope you patented or trademarked this, or whatever you have to do, before Randall Smith does it for you. :lol:

SDM

Post by SDM » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:44 pm

Flames1950 wrote:..., before Randall Smith does it for you. :lol:
Man don't go there :( . Thanks for the reviews guys and kind words, appreciate that. Keep the names coming!

Chief, I'll take a look at how it'd work in the 2061, get back to you on that.